Why the lack of 3rd party adventures

buzzard

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Just out of curiosity, how many adventurers do we need for 3rd party people to provide?

Pick a number because I bet it's already been hit.

Adventurers don't need to come out every month or day, especially if they're large adventurers. Heck, I've been playing the Shackled City for 20 weeks. Sure, 'official' material, but I've also run through the Witch Fire Trilogy (updated to 3.5 recently), the original Freeport trilogy (updated to 3.5 recently), and numerous others.

I think the adventurers are indeed already out there and people just gloss them over.

I suppose there are a fair number of adventures out there. In fact I am using one set of them. However my concerns have to do with how they feel to be lacking because of all the WotC content which I am accustomed to which is not present. From LG I am used to using the majority of WotC rules, yet in 3rd party products it is verbotten.

buzzard

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
buzzard said:
I suppose there are a fair number of adventures out there. In fact I am using one set of them. However my concerns have to do with how they feel to be lacking because of all the WotC content which I am accustomed to which is not present. From LG I am used to using the majority of WotC rules, yet in 3rd party products it is verbotten.

buzzard

And therein lies the problem. Sure, as Joe says, there are a lot of adventures out there. But none of them (besides WotC's) contains content from any of WotC's recent releases. It would be interesting to see adventures or sourcebooks that could take advantage of some good concepts that WotC doesn't seem at all intent on supporting or exploiting.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
One anecdote does not a trend make, but it does one data point make.

16 months ago, I released an adventure in PDF. It was world-neutral. It had tons of interesting NPCs. Re-used bits of OGC from a dozen different sources, and had no small amount of new stuff in it, too.

To date, it has sold a whopping 16 copies. Not this month. Total. Ever. It appears that a vocal minority on internet messageboards clamor for adventures, but when it comes time to actually buy an adventure, there is little to no market for them.

So to be honest, I have very little incentive to work on adventures, because, to be honest, people just don't seem to want to buy them. I suspect it's a combination of (a) there are more players than GMs, so by limiting a product's utility to GMs only, I am restricting my market, (b) most GMs disdain published adventures, preferring to "roll their own" adventures anyway, and (c) as has been elsewhere noted, Dungeon has a pretty solid hold on the adventure market - you can get three or four quality adventures per issue - WITH the WotC material nobody else can use tied in - for a very low price (thanks to the fact that Dungeon can pre-sell their adventures in the form of subscriptions AND has the luxury of extra ad revenue that it's difficult to get in published adventures).

With Dungeon having so many advantages, and the market being so small to begin with, the Return on Investment just isn't there, and I suspect that's why you see so few adventures.

Last edited:

Sledge

First Post
Sigil, I've never even seen you had an adventure! I'm starting to agree that part of the problem is that people don't even know what is out there.

rgard

Adventurer
The Sigil said:
One anecdote does not a trend make, but it does one data point make.

16 months ago, I released an adventure in PDF. It was world-neutral. It had tons of interesting NPCs. Re-used bits of OGC from a dozen different sources, and had no small amount of new stuff in it, too.

To date, it has sold a whopping 16 copies. Not this month. Total. Ever. It appears that a vocal minority on internet messageboards clamor for adventures, but when it comes time to actually buy an adventure, there is little to no market for them.

So to be honest, I have very little incentive to work on adventures, because, to be honest, people just don't seem to want to buy them. I suspect it's a combination of (a) there are more players than GMs, so by limiting a product's utility to GMs only, I am restricting my market, (b) most GMs disdain published adventures, preferring to "roll their own" adventures anyway, and (c) as has been elsewhere noted, Dungeon has a pretty solid hold on the adventure market - you can get three or four quality adventures per issue - WITH the WotC material nobody else can use tied in - for a very low price (thanks to the fact that Dungeon can pre-sell their adventures in the form of subscriptions AND has the luxury of extra ad revenue that it's difficult to get in published adventures).

With Dungeon having so many advantages, and the market being so small to begin with, the Return on Investment just isn't there, and I suspect that's why you see so few adventures.

Ok, I'll bite. What's the product name and where can I get it. If I have enough in the paypal balance, I'll buy it.

Thanks,
Rich

The_Gneech

Explorer
Sledge said:
Sigil, I've never even seen you had an adventure! I'm starting to agree that part of the problem is that people don't even know what is out there.

Ditto! How about a plug, man? At the very least, link to it in your .SIG! People can't buy what they've never heard of.

-The Gneech :cool:

prosfilaes

Adventurer
The Sigil said:

Sad to say, that doesn't matter. I bought another adventure for my campaign that I've cursed since buying it, because the "outside wrapper" advertising it on ENGS looked good. What's outside is often more important than what's inside.

I've picked up a couple PDF adventures for my current campaign. I probably won't for my next, unless my Ptolus campaign needs something to make up a couple levels.

Remove ads