Transcendence Now - Issue #1

Festy_Dog

First Post
Lukas shrugged, "It's not like I've ever told you what you should and shouldn't do. In fact, your vigilantism would likely yield an interesting reaction from the population that I would enjoy observing. Enjoyable so long as the populace remains unaware of the identities of the other people involved in the project, so that your deeds don't brand us all as potential trouble-makers. Don't assume I'm telling you not to pursue your vendetta, but do be aware of the repercussions of your actions.

"Now that I think of it, this revenge thing of yours could be it's own lesson in cause and effect. It could be the first critical step in bringing the baleful eye of the masses upon us, or the first step in the masses raising us up for hero worship."

A cunning smile crossed Lukas' face and he got a strange look in his eye as he studied Makenzie, not trying to stare her down but certainly not intimidated.

"Go through with it, I say, and let us all learn from your tentative steps into the public eye."

Shalimar

First Post
"You might not mind it Lukas, but I think Felicia really doesn't want me to. I know I can beat them, the throwing discs from my act can be just as dangeruous as a gun if I use them the right way...I just have to be a little careful and they'll never even touch me." Makenzie says confidently, sounding very sure of it. "Look, I don't care what you want to call it, they didn't get in trouble for killing my parents or Toby. I'll make them turn themselves in or get incriminating evidence or something...I have to do this, I can't let them get away with it."

"Now that I think of it, this revenge thing of yours could be it's own lesson in cause and effect. It could be the first critical step in bringing the baleful eye of the masses upon us, or the first step in the masses raising us up for hero worship."

"I think your wrong though, doing this has nothing to do with my powers. I can't even use my powers against people anyway, its the same as if I had never gotten hurt, I'd still want them in trouble, and I'd still be doing it the sameway. People don't have to know about my powers for me to do this you know."

Festy_Dog

First Post
"Powers or no, Makenzie, a teenage girl taking on a powerful and ruthless crime syndicate and winning, beating up goons who are likely hardened criminals and/or ex-military, how can you not expect to draw attention to yourself? Unless you leave no witnesses, and I'm under the impression you're not that ruthless, but I make no claim to know every facet of you. You could well prove me wrong if you so wished it. In the end however, you may not use your powers while exacting your vengeance but what about afterwards, when you have people's attention? What if there is a situation where you must choose between saving a life and keeping your powers secret? You may be back at peak condition from being crippled, you may even be able to take on submachineguns, shotguns and a possibly corrupt system, but then what? What comes next? Eyes are on you and there is a power vacuum in the underworld being filled by other people who like money enough to cross the line into crime. If you've successfully done it before people will expect you to do it again. Can you meet their expectations? The chance of your powers being discovered becomes greater as a function of time," Lukas said, thrilled by the discussion and hungrily awaiting a response.

Shalimar

First Post
"I don't care about any of that stuff though, all I want is for him to pay for what he did, I want him to go to jail. I don't care who replaces him or anything, its just him I want. The rest of them could go kill themselves for all I care. I don't even want credit for any of that, its not whats important. Its what I do after that thats important." Makenzie said, sounding vexed that Lukas was so intent on it, its not like it should matter to him unless he wanted to help her, but she wasn't so sure on that.

"I just wanted your thoughts on what I should do to convince people I'm not crazy and how I should use my power. I don't want to charge people to be healed, even though I could, I wont be able to heal everyone, but I don't want money to be the deciding factor... maybe ask people for a donation or something? If I'm doing that I'll be too tired to do the circus, and I don't really want to go back there anyway."

Festy_Dog

First Post
Lukas looks as though he's about to say more but slumps a little in his seat.

"So much potential for debate. You dangle the issue in my face and permit no discussion, Makenzie. A tease of the mind it is," he says disappointedly, before considering her plight, "If you are unwilling to choose who lives and who dies then you must never use your powers outside of this facility. If you ask for donations then it is no different from asking a fee, money is still changing hands in order for healing to take place. However, you are not the first person to consider this dilemma, although you are probably the first to consider it in respect to Transcendant powers, hehe. After you get out of here, when you have the time, you should perhaps look up some literature written by doctors who work in non-profit organisations and the like. Their situation carries much similarity to your own."

(Placeholder. Not that I don't enjoy letting players talking to each other, I just feel like poor Felicia needs a say in all of this, I do appreciate you two picking up even though I've obviously been out of the picture these few days, I'll do my best to post something tomorrow morning/afternoon for everyone.)

Dr. Emerson Walden:

Dr. Walden does not detect any transcendental powers being used upon him. He does notice that a subtle shift in Angel's body language at his action, indicating that she was aware of him using his enhanced senses.

The man's handshake is cold and strong, though none of his warm tone i slost as he responds, "How rude of me. You may call me Mr. Travers, Dr. Walden." Removing his hand away, Mr. Travers motioning to Walden to take a seat in a chair infront of his desk.

"You'll have to forgive my lack of pleasantries, I've been struggling all day with securing safe transport home for all the Transcendents. So you now know my name, do you have any other questions before I continue with my offer? I may be able to answer a few, but do understand I have other business to attend to shortly. Extended questions will simply have to wait for another time."

Miss Maleck Blackwell:

"Thanks Mal, its been a busy day and I've worked up quite the appetite." Bastien says, reaching down into the picnic basket to grab a sandwich. Taking first a hungry bite, and then a thoughtful one, he uses the time to ponder some before speaking. "I'm not exactly sure how everyone was chosen, there doesn't seem to be much in common with us all, is there? I've pondered the question before but as far as I know they simply looked for people they considered special or extraordinary in some way or another."

Therese doesn't say anything at that, looking somewhat lost in thought.

"I know just about as much as you do on the matter, maybe a little more but not much I could tell you." Bastien continues, taking another bite out of his sandwich as he takes a seat by the girls.

Joe Vaughn:

"Ah, a job helping people...do you have something in mind already Joseph?" Miranda asks, her eyes strangely wide and colored with curiosity.

"You can control your density, correct? Now I wasn't a science teacher so I'm not sure how applicable that would be in the real world." Miranda emphasized the phrase 'real world' in a strange way, though her words had all the tone of a concerned parent.

Joe notices Billy glancing over at him and Miranda before turning his head back to Josh and conversing again. He thinks he hears his name pop up in the conversation but other than that their speech is too quiet to make out.

Joshua Lucas Trevin:

"Perhaps, perhaps." Will mutters, eyes closed for a half second before opening them again, "Too many questions, even for this enhanced intellect I was given. Perhaps on the outside we'll have a better chance to figure things out. I'll truthfully be surprised if they won't monitor us in some way, and if we're only comprehending our own powers now I'm not sure we would even be aware of them monitoring us. The type of the technology they use isn't exactly something you cook up in the back of your house, they must have some sort of major funding to it all. Which asks another question, is the funding private or some sort of government program? More questions, more questions..."

"...how about a simple one we can ask?" Will begins again, his voice more pleasant, "When will your next concert be? I've heard you perform for me but I imagine hearing you play on an actual grand piano in a concert hall is quite a different experience. I haven't been to a real concert ever and I'd figure it would be something I could bring my mom to. She likes that sort of thing, and it'd be cool for her to meet you and maybe see your powers in action?"

Samnell

Explorer
Sollir Furryfoot said:
"...how about a simple one we can ask?" Will begins again, his voice more pleasant, "When will your next concert be? I've heard you perform for me but I imagine hearing you play on an actual grand piano in a concert hall is quite a different experience. I haven't been to a real concert ever and I'd figure it would be something I could bring my mom to. She likes that sort of thing, and it'd be cool for her to meet you and maybe see your powers in action?"

Far more interested in his performing than the mechanics of how the project operated, Josh took to the change of subject, "I suppose I'll have to schedule one. I'd no outstanding commitments when I came in here, but I'm remembered enough to arrange an engagement without too much trouble. London or New York would be the easiest for larger venues. I couldn't speak for when it would be, though. Halls can be booked months in advance and they're unlikely to bump the Prime Minister for my sake."

"Of course a smaller place would be easier: a university, a conservatory, a large pub if they've the space for a full instrument. It's a good question. I should make some calls when they let us. If nothing else, the acoustics could be much better than here."

Last edited:

Rybaer

First Post
Sollir Furryfoot said:
"Ah, a job helping people...do you have something in mind already Joseph?" Miranda asks, her eyes strangely wide and colored with curiosity.

"You can control your density, correct? Now I wasn't a science teacher so I'm not sure how applicable that would be in the real world." Miranda emphasized the phrase 'real world' in a strange way, though her words had all the tone of a concerned parent.

"Heh, I was hoping maybe you could suggest something," Joe said with a grin. "Nah, I've been thinking about some ideas. The best I can come up with is to do search and rescue work. You know, like saving people in areas hit by earthquakes or mining accidents. My powers let me slip through the tiniest cracks, so I could find survivors quickly. Then I can change to high density and use my strength and toughness to dig 'em out."

He shrugged, almost embarrassed at the idea.

"Not sure who'd hire me for that sort of work, though. It's probably a lot of sitting around a waiting for a situation to arise. Kinda like firefighting, only slower."

ByteRynn

First Post
"I think your name is quite enough to get along with for now Dr. Travers, thank you. So, what is this offer you seem so eager pitch to me?"

Remove ads