Did You Marry a Gamer?

Did You Marry a Gamer?

• Yes, I'm so incredibly lucky!

Votes: 92 36.4%
  • No, but my spouse is wonderful anyway!

Votes: 101 39.9%
  • I'm single but I wanted to check this thread out.

Votes: 60 23.7%

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
Garnfellow said:
Groomscake sounds like a monster, maybe an ooze. Is this a traditional thing? I don't think I've ever seen one before.
I never heard of one until my wedding.
For me it was just a cake served the night before the wedding, at the rehearsal dinner.

Nope, my wife's not a gamer, but she is very accepting of the hobby. In fact, she probably knows more about gaming than many people who do occasionally play, as a result of being married to me and hanging out with our friends. She'll actually participate in gaming conversations, but the few times she's tried playing, she just got bored really quickly. When I first mentioned that I gamed while we were dating, she teased me about being "one of those 'multi-sided' dice guys". :)

KB9JMQ

First Post
Yes I did and I am sure that I am better for it.
It is part of what got us together. We both love gaming and are raising our 3 kids to like it also.

diaglo

Adventurer
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
Nope, my wife's not a gamer, but she is very accepting of the hobby. In fact, she probably knows more about gaming than many people who do occasionally play, as a result of being married to me and hanging out with our friends. She'll actually participate in gaming conversations, but the few times she's tried playing, she just got bored really quickly.

ditto.

Montague68

First Post
Not yet, but next June I will be. :)

Not only is she a gamer but her comic book collection dwarfs mine. And her Star Wars toy collection. Hopefully she doesn't ask for a prenup :D

Shadowslayer

Explorer
Nope. Was hoping to convert her though. but it aint gonna happen. She'll play once in a while, and enjoy it, but really doesn't have the attention span to learn the rules and enjoy a whole campaign. (her words, not mine)

She is very accepting of it though and doesn't begrudge me my fun.

...Though she was the one who laughed loudest at the scene in the 40 Year Old Virgin where he was painting his minis and talking to them. I said "Hey, wait a minute. I'm living proof that cool guys do that stuff too."

She patted my hand and said "whatever you say, dear"

So, uh, yeah...she's supportive.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Yep

We met at a game I was running back in 1989. Hung out together and the like, got married and divorced to other folks (!) and then discovered our silliness in 1997 and got married to each other. We'll have our 10th anniversary next year. We have two daughters.

I DM and write, she paints the minis and writes, and we both have played some weekly game together for 17 years. It's great to be married to a good gamer chick! We do GenCon every year, thanked Gary Gygax for indirectly getting us together, and wrote AEG's "Toolbox" together.

:)

-DM Jeff

Nomad4life

First Post
My wife knew I was into D&D long before we were married but didn’t really know what it was, nor did she seem to have any interest in knowing. I tried to explain it to her once on a long car trip, and I thought I had done a good job. However, I knew something had gotten lost in translation the day she told me “You can play your game with your friends, just don’t put any of our money on the table.” :confused: I kind of gave up after that.

She doesn’t really “get” sci-fi or fantasy (and I don’t think she’ll ever forgive me for dragging her through all three LoTR movies- she slept through most of them and claims to have nightmares about the one or two scenes she actually saw.) But all that may be changing thanks to those Harry Potter books. She read the first one just to see what all her students were going so berserk about. Now she’s read them all and is rabidly waiting for the last book. So maybe H.P. will be her gateway into D&D. Who knows?

Remove ads