Druid options w/animals/Natural Bond

LordBOB

First Post
This is a Question about a Druids Animal Companion and the Awaken Spell

lets us reference these books: Im using Adobe Reader so i might be off by 1 page or so

Complete Adventurer page 111 ( Natural Bond)
Monster Manual page 62 ( Dire Wolf )
Players Handbook... page 37 ( the chart for a druids Compainion ) page 203 ( Awaken Spell)

Now Natural Bond says that you can add 3 levels do my Druids level for the purpose of my Animal Companion. I took this feat multiple times so that my Dire Wolf would be the same group as my level. Im level 10 so it is in the same catagory as i am.

What im asking is if i Awaken my wolf what would happen. I suggested that since it is NO LONGER my animal companion then Natural Bond doesnt affect it anymore, thus giving it the rightful Saves and BAB as a 14th level character, not a 10th level character, that it should have.

6D8 ( starting Dire Wolf)
6D8 ( from Aminal Companion )
2D8 ( from the Awaken Spell )

also if i understand all of this correctly than the Wolf is allowed to have all the HD it wants, but it cant have the saves and BAB of a 14th level charater. Only a 10th level character because that's what I am.

Now Awaken says that it isnt treated as an Animal Companion anymore...so is it STILL affected by Natural Bond???

EDIT: Am i right to think that it is no longer affected by Natural bond and it gains the BAB and Saves as a 14th level character

Thank in advance!

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Firstly, you can't take Natural Bond multiple times.

Secondly, Natural Bond cannot make your effective druid level exceed your character level.

Thirdly, if you Awaken the wolf and it ceases to be your animal companion, it will no longer have any of the bonus hit dice that an animal companion gains - these are a feature of being a companion, which it isn't any more.

-Hyp.

Remove ads