The Game of Kings

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
stonegod said:
[sblock=Doral]"Only if I stated that all I said is a lie, which I did not. As for reasons for joining: As I stated, my skills are for hire. The price was reasonable for the services to be rendered." The kobold begins preparation for leaving. "Your skills will most likely prove useful, especially if we do not find a way to negotiate or bluff a release. 'Any means necissary,' recall."

With that, unless he is held, the kobold leaves.[/sblock]

After his guest leaves, Doral gives a shrug to himself, and bites into his apple. The kobold was right. He had better things to do than lay about.

Doral will look for the captain or first mate and make friendly conversation with him, attempting to ascertain the crews instructions from Kolberkon and other current employers such as the dwarves, and how many times they've done work for each. He'll also mingle around with the crew, offering an occasional hand for simple tasks, but otherwise not getting in their way. If he has no way to help them, he'll tell a joke or two to loosen them up. Every laborer he had met before enjoyed the one about Bonny Sally and the Bawdy Skirt. In this manner he'll try to pick up on any rumors of interest.

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The kobold leaves the room, glances around at anyone who is loitering about, and then sets off for the galley. He probably disconcerns one crewman asking for directions, but the kobold does not seem one to mind.

Finally reaching the galley, the kobold notices that the Dragen is their, trying to find something to drown himself in; something that isn't sea water. The *clack, clack* of the kobold's walking stick announces its pressence as it moves upon the soldier.
[sblock=Dragan]"Karrnathi. I would have words with you." The kobold makes its way to a stool. "You do not seem sanguine regarding the task ahead. While negotiations may suffice for the job at hand, I want to be assured that your obvious skills for the arts of war will be at our willing disposal."[/sblock]
OOC: This vessel is Prince Kolberkon, not Elinvath's. He just bought us ferry tickets.

James Heard

Explorer
The gray-bearded archer merely looks back amusedly by means of reply.

Great. Now the Khyber-rodent kobolds are giving me peptalks. I wonder if the warforged will put on a dress and dance with me before this journey is over? Blast it but this wine is poor...

Pointedly, the archer tips the cup past the horizontal closes his eyes and turns his back on the kobold.

stonegod

James Heard said:
Pointedly, the archer tips the cup past the horizontal closes his eyes and turns his back on the kobold.
The kobold makes a *cluck* noise in its throat, a sign of displeasure. But, apparently, the soldier's lack of an answer is sufficient for its purposes, however inscruitable they might be, and it makes its way out of the galley to the top deck again. There, it finds the shifter still on deck, gazing out over the waters. Again, the kobold approaches one of the companions alone.
[sblock=Morika]The kobold stops behind the shifter, crossing its hands over its walking stick again. "The seas fill the voids of the One Between, but the seas are not the usual place for your kin. What services do you bring to this venture, shifter? What capabilities to you bring for the varied tasks soon to face us?"[/sblock]

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Morika, female shifter druid

stonegod said:
[sblock=Morika]The kobold stops behind the shifter, crossing its hands over its walking stick again. "The seas fill the voids of the One Between, but the seas are not the usual place for your kin. What services do you bring to this venture, shifter? What capabilities to you bring for the varied tasks soon to face us?"[/sblock]
The kobold: [sblock]The shifter woman had been sitting on her bedroll, her arms on the railing, her chin atop them, looking out the sea. Morika turns her face to her reptillian companion and gazes at him for a moment. He doesn't flinch, he hadn't at her threats or dangerous bearing or anything else she had done. In a way, that was comforting. "Maybe not a normal place for my family, but some of my kind swim these waters like fish. You don't hear much about them, but they're there. What brings me to their home... is..." here Morika pauses, and turns back to the sea. "Necessity maybe, curiosity definitely. Wanderlust... greed, bloodlust too I suppose. I was a scout, a fighter in the Reaches. My family, clan really, we protected the little hamlets down by the Byshek mountains. We fought goblins, Brelish, Aundairian soldiers, anyone that thought they would just turn over their life's work without a fight.

"I learned the ways of the wood, so I could hide there, scout, and kill those that came for slaughter and other people's wars. I'm a druid, not like some of the ones you've seen, I'm guessing. I have no faithful animal companion, only the beast spirit within my breast. It makes me stronger, tougher, it helps me when I shift. I can heal, speak to animals, make myself or others more powerful... things as varied as nature. I can speak to the fey, I'm a good scout, I can find food in the wild. And I fight. I fight as tenaciously as the mountain goat, and I give no quarter. That's what I bring to this group." Morika's coarse voice is modulated in the dark sea air, and her expression is somewhat detached, as if she's speaking in a dream.

"How about you? What's your name? What do you do? And why aren't you afraid of me?[/sblock]

stonegod

Isida Kep'Tukari said:
[sblock=The kobold]"How about you? What's your name? What do you do? And why aren't you afraid of me?[/sblock]
[sblock=Morika]The kobold places its head on its crossed hands for a moment as if thinking. "Ah, so that is your place. I am seeing how this shall fit together now." Raising its head again, it looks directly at the shifter. "As for your questions, let my answer them indirectly. It relates to your ways."

"Consider the Progenitor Dragons. Everything that is came from those Three. Your druidic tradition is but the shadow cast by teachings given by a dragon, following the path of the One Between. In fact, all that walk this ship, save for two, was created from the One Between's bones after The One Below was bound. The two who were not? First, the construct, soulless metal given life. And second, the kobold. While the dragons of Argonessen may be the grandest thing created by the Progenitors, we were the first---created from the Progenitor's blood itself.

"I am Vhir. I have been touched by the power of Eberron and the madness of Khyber. Besides those, there is little that can cause me fear."

The kobold waves its hand dimissively. "But enough draconic philosophy. My task here is simple. I observe. I negotiate. And I make sure when things happen, they happen they way I wanted them to happen for the purpose I have been paid for. Noting more, nothing less."[/sblock]

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Morika, female shifter druid

stonegod said:
[sblock=Morika]The kobold places its head on its crossed hands for a moment as if thinking. "Ah, so that is your place. I am seeing how this shall fit together now." Raising its head again, it looks directly at the shifter. "As for your questions, let my answer them indirectly. It relates to your ways."

"Consider the Progenitor Dragons. Everything that is came from those Three. Your druidic tradition is but the shadow cast by teachings given by a dragon, following the path of the One Between. In fact, all that walk this ship, save for two, was created from the One Between's bones after The One Below was bound. The two who were not? First, the construct, soulless metal given life. And second, the kobold. While the dragons of Argonessen may be the grandest thing created by the Progenitors, we were the first---created from the Progenitor's blood itself.

"I am Vhir. I have been touched by the power of Eberron and the madness of Khyber. Besides those, there is little that can cause me fear."

The kobold waves its hand dimissively. "But enough draconic philosophy. My task here is simple. I observe. I negotiate. And I make sure when things happen, they happen they way I wanted them to happen for the purpose I have been paid for. Noting more, nothing less."[/sblock]
Vhir: [sblock]Morika listens attentively, first looking thoughtful, then giving an amused snort. "You're the opposite side of me. I get paid to make things happen through excessive amounts of violence. You do it through magic and words. I think we're not so different, Vhir. I'm not a nice person, but I'm not necessarily evil. Nor good" she says, and holds out a hand for him to clasp in understanding.[/sblock]

stonegod

Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Vhir: [sblock]"I think we're not so different, Vhir. I'm not a nice person, but I'm not necessarily evil. Nor good" she says, and holds out a hand for him to clasp in understanding.[/sblock]
[sblock=Morika]Vhir purposeful gives his claw, clasping as firmly as a two foot tall lizard can. Which is not much. Whatever menance surrounds the kobold, it is not through strength of arms.

"We do what needs doing. It is good to have this understanding. Now, if you excuse me..."[/sblock]
The kolbold turns away from the shifter, its conversation aparently complete. Noting that none of the other companions are on deck, it makes its way to a chair, takes out its neatly folded copy of the Inquistive, and resumes reading.

Dark_Jackalope

First Post
As the travelers settled into their quarters and wandered the decks, the galleon pulled smoothly out of the harbor and made eastward, keeping within eyesight of Cape Far. Before long, the town that they’d been in only a few hours ago was an indistinguishable dot on the grey horizon. The cliffs rose steadily higher at their side, as well as increasingly more rough-hewn and sharp. Their dark jagged line was soon the only landmark in sight; all the rest was dull-colored sea and sky. Around them, the waves took a more turbulent mood, making those with weak stomachs regret the voyage.

The bustle of the crew seemed minimal, most working shifts cleaning or keeping lookout. Gorbrekken and his first mate shared turns piloting the galleon and checking in on the crew and passengers. No one seemed to mind that Elinvath’s group wandered casually or sat out on deck, though the dwarves and their laymen did not emerge from their cabins.

[sblock="Doral"]Doral, meanwhile, found a pleasurable enough group of crewmen, who were currently occupied with taking stock of provisions in a lower hold. A light and joking conversation was soon struck up, and before long the beguiler was treated as a companion. (Especially helped by his offer to aid the organization of the rather haphazard storage hold.)

As their work continued on into the evening, for the crewmen’s shift wouldn’t allow them to eat dinner at the normal time, the conversation melted smoothly into more personal subjects. Starting with how interesting it was that they worked with a pirate band, even though they still remain members of the House Lyrandar, it led into how surely they must sometimes do much more dangerous and exciting things than rearrange storage holds.

“Eh, so menny kids a-come to th’ sea, hopin’ fer adventure… but s’lot ah hard work,” the most chatty crewman said, gesturing to the heaps of knotted rope he was untangling. “But sometimes, ‘cuz we’re under orders ah the Prince ‘n all, we getta do some real dang’rous stuffs. ‘Specially on this ‘ere ship, a-‘cuz ah she’s so fast.”[/sblock]
As the hours passed lazily by, the sun began to droop nearer to the western horizon and the wind from the rapidly moving ship caught a new sting of cold as evening descended. Then, abruptly, the calm was broken by the shrill iron bell on the bridge, and the captain’s voice declaring dinner for any unoccupied crewmemebr or passenger who wanted it. As the crewmen on deck moved towards the stern set of doors and down to the galley, Gorbrekken slowly descended the companionway, and caught sight of the warforged quietly whittling in a corner of the deck. He strode over, and said much more jovially,

“So ‘ello, eh, Carver. List’n, about tha’ tour yeh were wanting… I promis’d our dwarv’n dignitaries I’d dine with ‘em. Hope yah don’ mind ‘n all. But, tah make it up to yah, I told Wilsbree up there to explain all ‘bout the Element’l to yeh.” He pointed towards the vapor-tower, where the first mate was navigating the ship.

[sblock="Map of the Voyage Thus Far (anyone can view)"]
ferryday1.jpg

[/sblock]

James Heard

Explorer
With only a slight sway in his step, a pleasant sort of murmur in his head that seemed to do quite nicely for replacing the constant swaying of the ship with the more familiar swaying of the wine, Dragen pushed himself away from his place at the table and made his way toward the ship's galley. One eye set itself suspiciously open of the other that seemed determined to remain half-closed in protest, and though unstrung the aging archer thinks absolutely nothing about carrying his bow with him to the galley with it wrapped in its cloths as if a child.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases