The Game of Kings

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The kobold clucks his tongue at the half-elf's barrage of their employer, and then keeps a steady eye on the traveling priest for and the construct for their questions. Raising its head from its walking stick, the kobold addresses the elderly gentleman.

"Any means necessary, you say? Then means other than negotiation are on the table, I will assume. Though, as you know, Master Sargessean, my skills are tailored for negotiation, I believe I will be able to work with these others in case more direct approaches are needed."

The kobold stretches it neck to the side; a loud pop can be heard. "I assume you have sort of dossier on the Gaardasci princes, probable contacts in Port Verge, and other information we will need? As Master Sloans so quickly indicated, we will need some basic information in order to adequately resolve this... complication."

Bront

The man with the probe
Carver withdraws a little bit. He notices Doral's insight, and thinks that perhaps the half-elf may have some insight. He will have to ask later.

Instead, while listening to the conversation, he moves closer to the covered cage, to attempt to see what is inside. Once he finaly closes with the cage, he looks at it carefully, with an obvious desire to look under it, though he holds his hands back.

Bobitron

Explorer
Glasia smiles at the curious warforged, reaching down and allowing him a peek. Inside is a hawk with feathers the color of fluffy summer clouds.

James Heard

Explorer
The older human waited patiently for the rest of the party to voice their concerns and questions and nodded slowly as each was answered. Ever practical, he only had three questions, which he demonstrated by means of upraised fingers.

"One, how much are we getting paid. Now and later. I don't get on strange men's boats for free."

"Two, just so we know, how many people are we going to have to murder for this? There are seven of us, but you'll be waiting a long time for your returns if you expect us to kill every kinsmen of every seadog in Port Verge."

"Three, and this isn't a question but just a statement of fact, I need something to drink, and soon, else I'm just going to wander back down to the tavern."

"And three, this is the question, alive is a relative term. Does he have to be alive the whole time, or can we pickle the corpse or save the head and talk to his spirit later? Because prisoners are an awful lot of bother, and dead men rarely are in my experience." At the last he gave a horrifying wheezing chuckle that got out of control, ended only with the archer bent over and wiping tears from his eyes.

"But oh, how much trouble they are when they decide to be!" he finished with malefic glee.

stonegod

James Heard said:
"And three, this is the question, alive is a relative term. Does he have to be alive the whole time, or can we pickle the corpse or save the head and talk to his spirit later? Because prisoners are an awful lot of bother, and dead men rarely are in my experience." At the last he gave a horrifying wheezing chuckle that got out of control, ended only with the archer bent over and wiping tears from his eyes.
As the human tried to catch his breath, the kobold rubbed its chin, perhaps intrigued by the new option. Once the man had finished, it added, "Yes, that is a possibility, thought necromantic communication is not without its faults. And there is of course the question of potential destabilization of the Principalities, which could make travel more difficult. My impression is that our employer wants Gaardasci alive, however." It turns back to the eldery man. "You, do you not?"

Ringmereth

First Post
As questions besige Elinvath from all fronts, he stands patiently until the group stops for his response. "I would really be glad to discuss the matter all day, but the less time I'm seen with you today, the fewer difficult questions you may have to answer tomorrow. In short, I expect you to take the Lyrandar galleon to Port Verge. In here," he continues, pointing to the sack at his feet, "I have packed your tickets and provisions for the trip, which I have not chartered exclusively for this excursion--the ship is Prince Kolberkon's, you see, and he wishes to impress some visiting merchant or or House representative with it."

"When you reach Port Verge, you should ascertain the whereabouts and condition of the Baron--who, in all likelyhood, does not expect to recieve aid from me--and free him with words or by force. I have little experience with Port Verge, but I would point you to Mr. Banderelli, who should be a capable guide to the town. Whatever method you choose, it should be carried out in the role of mercenaries in Gaardasci's sons' employ. I intend to remain in the Principalities no longer than I must, but I don't believe running afoul of pirates would expedite our undertaking."

"For those who are curious about my rate of pay, I have included an initial payment of 50 coins of platinum for each of you. I will triple that upon the return of Baron Gaardasci, alive if at all possible," he adds, his warm voice going cold for a moment, "and reimburse your expenses on top of that. If you'd prefer another form of compensation for this venture, I will give your request full consideration at that time."

"Now, our time today really must come to a close. I have great confidence in each of you, and wish you good luck, calm seas, and a swift return." With a smile and a bow, he walks off towards the town, leaving the group with a bulky sack and half-answered questions.

Last edited:

stonegod

The kobold nods. If dissatisfied by the lack of answers, it does not show it. It places its head back on its crossed hands, waiting for someone else to pick up the bulky sack.

Bobitron

Explorer
Glasia is already counting the money in her head, her glance lingering on the bag. She shrinks back a step or two, standing on the outside of the group.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Morkia listens to the barrage of questions and bundle of muddled answers with faint amusement, then stalks over to the bag. Picking it up, she begins to walk toward the ship, glancing over her shoulder at the others. "Whoever wants their pay, get on board!" she calls. Leaping onto the gangplank, she saunters to the top and waits for the others to board. When the Karranthi passes by her, she sinks a sharp-nailed hand into his elbow and whispers into his ear.

Dragen:
"You ever mention or attempt to use necromancy within my sight, Karranthi, and I will strangle you with your own intenstines then heave you overboard for the sharks."

Morika's voice raises a bit so the others can hear, and she flashes a sharp-toothed smile at the archer. "Good looking bow you have there. I never could use one of those, but that one looks worthy of a good archer. You can tell the skill of a man through his care of his weapons. What's your name?" Oddly, Morika seems to be sincere... about both of her comments.

James Heard

Explorer
Dragen shrugs with a shallow smile at both comments, winks at the tiny shifter, and walks toward the ship.

"50 platinum coins is worth getting on a boat for, I suppose."

Remove ads