Return to White Plume Mountain monsters?

Arnwyn

First Post
Does anyone know if the monsters from 2e Return to White Plume Mountain have been converted to d20, anywhere?

There are a bunch of non-standard/new monsters in there, and it looks like only a few have ever been converted (eg. bog mummy - ToH, giant slug - ToH, kelp devil - ToH, meenlock - MM2, myconid - MM2, phycomid - ToH, and Remnant - Towers of High Sorcery).

But there are a whole lot of what look to be new monsters - at least, ones I've never heard of:
Bloodwight, bog golem, burning golem, fungus hulk, mold wyrm, mud mummy, skin puppet, and vampire moss.

Anyone know if some conversions exist?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Bloodwight and fungus hulk are also in ToH.

I swear I've seen a 3E skin puppet somewhere, but can't place it right now.

Arnwyn

First Post
Shade said:
Bloodwight and fungus hulk are also in ToH.
What, really? I know the "blood wight" is in ToH3 - but it's a different creature. The fungus hulk is definitely not in the ToH.

But wait! Now that you mention it, both of those are in the Creature Catalog. Cool.

I swear I've seen a 3E skin puppet somewhere, but can't place it right now.
My google-fu is bad... :(

Shade

Monster Junkie
Arnwyn said:
What, really? I know the "blood wight" is in ToH3 - but it's a different creature. The fungus hulk is definitely not in the ToH.

Oops! I was going by the OGL information I found online, not the actual book.

Arnwyn said:
But wait! Now that you mention it, both of those are in the Creature Catalog. Cool.

Yeah, there too! :eek:

Arnwyn said:
My google-fu is bad... :(

Apparenlty mine is today as well. :heh:

Arnwyn

First Post
Well, all-in-all, not bad. I just saw that the Vampire Moss was originally introduced in Dungeon #41, so I know I've converted that already.

Five unconverted, I guess - not too daunting for now.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Arnwyn, here's a list of the 3.0/3.5 version of the creatures in Return to White Plume Mountain that I could track down:

• Bloodwight: here (3.0)
  • Bog Golem: Not yet converted
  • Bog Mummy: here or here or in Dragon #300 (all 3.0) or in the Dragon Compendium, Volume 1 or Tome of Horrors Revised (both 3.5)
  • Burning Golem: Not yet converted
  • Crab Swarm: Not yet converted
  • Elevated Ghoul: Not yet converted
  • Fungal Egg Mass: Not yet converted
  • Fungus Hulk: here (3.5)
  • Giant Slug: here (3.0) or in Tome of Horrors Revised (3.5)
  • Invisible Undead Giant Crab: Not yet converted, although there's a Monstrous Crab in Stormwrack
  • Kelp Devil: here (3.0) or in Tome of Horrors Revised (3.5)
  • Leviathan: Monster Manual II (3.0) plus the D&D v.3.5 Accessory Update (for the 3.5 update)
  • Meenlock: Monster Manual II (3.0) plus the D&D v.3.5 Accessory Update (for the 3.5 update)
  • Mold Wyrm: Not yet converted
  • Mud Mummy: Not yet converted
  • Myconid: Monster Manual II (3.0) plus the D&D v.3.5 Accessory Update (for the 3.5 update)
  • Phycomid: here (3.0) or Dragon #337 (3.5)
  • Remnant: Towers of High Sorcery
  • Skin Puppet: Not yet converted
  • Vampire Moss: Not yet converted

Shade

Monster Junkie
I thought I read somewhere that the true ghoul and elevated ghoul were the same. If that's true, then the true ghoul appeared in Dungeon #129.

EL-UH-VA-TION! :p

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Based on the description on page 28 of RtWPM and p62 of Dungeon #129, I don't think they are the same thing. An elevated ghoul seems to basically be a ghoul with an amulet of repudation so it can't be turned.

Dungeon #129 says "True ghouls (also called shadow ghouls or greater ghouls) are much more human than common ghouls and ghasts. [...] These creatures originally appeared in Dragon #252, and were featured in Dungeon #70's "Kingdom of Ghouls" adventure."

Maybe the shadow/greater ghoul reference was what you were thinking of Shade?

Remove ads