For Queen and Country! A Space: 1889 Campaign [OOC]

Yellow Sign

Explorer
space1889hn3.jpg

Seeing that I have the time and the inclination, I have decided to start a Space:1889 game. For those who don't know Space: 1889 is a Victorian era science fiction role playing game that takes place in an alternate universe that more resembles the worlds of Jules Verne and Edgar Rice Burroughs than it does our own. Thus, Mars is a planet populated by ancient races who built a network of canals in an attempt to save their civilization from the encroaching desert. In the universe of Space: 1889, the Canal Martians live in the remnants of their once proud cities while fighting off their barbarous cousins who live in the steppes and high plateaus of the Red Planet. The Moon is honeycombed with caverns where the insectile Selenites hide their secrets. And Venus is a planet-wide swamp full of dinosaurs and primitive amphibious natives. When Thomas Edison invents a space drive, the Æther Propeller, he opens these strange worlds to the imperial nations of Earth and a wave of interplanetary colonization quickly follows.

flyerzepch1.jpg

Mars is a dry planet crisscrossed by canals, bringing the scarce water of the polar caps to the dry seabed. Over the centuries, Martian civilization has declined from the great days of the Canal Builders and now exists at a level roughly equivalent to Earth in the 17th Century.
Beginning in the 1870s, the colonial powers of Earth have used Ether-Flyers to extend their dominions to other planets. The most ambitious imperialist on Mars have been the British and the Belgians. Britain controls Syrtis Major, the richest city on Mars and is engaged with an ongoing war with the militaristic Oenotrian Empire. The Belgian Coprates Company conquered the great Coprates Rift Valley with an army of mercenaries and now ruthlessly exploits the region.

Queen%20Victoria.jpg

The most valuable resource on Mars is the incredible Liftwood tree. This plant grows only in the remote mountains, guarded by the savage, flying High Martians. When properly cut and cured, liftwood can be used to build ships that float in the air. Earth's Great Powers are scrambling to obtain supplies of liftwood, to keep up in the new aerial naval race that has begun.

jv-sf.jpg

The British sent expeditions to Venus as early as 1873, using Armstrong Æther Flyers, but the first expedition to return from the cloud-shrouded planet was the German-backed Heidelberg expedition of 1879-80. They discovered the few survivors from the earlier expeditions who had been marooned when the unique magnetic field of Venus caused the liftwood of their flyers to decay within days of their landing. Without the liftwood, they were stranded on the surface. The Germans, who did not have as much access to liftwood as the British, had used hydrogen dirigibles for their æther flyers, and they were unaffected by the decay effect. Germany has dominated the exploitation and exploration of Venus ever since, though the British, Italians, and Russians have also established colonies, and Americans traders travel all over the planet.

dhm1494.jpg

Venus is a hothouse world of shallow oceans, steaming tropical jungles, bogs, swamps, marshes, perpetual overcast, and heavy rainfall. The dense jungles of the Venusian lowlands produce numerous plants for which there is a great demand on Earth by chemists, dye makers, pharmaceutical companies, and florists (the Cytherian Orchid is especially valued for its beauty and its hauntingly subtle fragrance). The lowlands are also home to hundreds of varieties of giant reptilian creatures, called dinosaurs, and to the savage Lizardmen. Humans find the lowlands almost unbearable and tend to stick to the few highland plateaus, where life is more tolerable and the sun can occasionally be glimpsed through the overcast.

sherlock_brett_130.jpg

With the original Space:1889 rules being a bit limited in my opinion I have been looking for a good rule set to use in it's place. After some trial and error, I have decided to use Green Ronin's excellent Mutants and Masterminds 2nd Edition rules. It gives enough flexibility without the rules overwhelming the feel of the setting. Plus it's perfect for the swashbuckling adventure feel that I am looking for. Now that being said this is not a super-hero game so a majority of the super powers listed in the book will be limited to steam punk devices and such. Though some supernatural abilities that were common in Victorian literature like ghosts and fairies, table-rapping and telepathic encounters, occult religions and the idea of reincarnation, visions of the other world and a reality beyond the everyday, etc.... might be allowed in a limited way.

colour-party.jpg

The campaign will start at a Power Level of 6 and players have 90 points to build their characters. I would like to have 4-5 players who have some knowledge of the Space:1889 setting and the Victorian era.

So if you interested in playing give shout out and let's start discussing this game! :)

Any ideas, suggestions, or questions are welcome.

I have four players at the moment but I still have one slot open if anyone is interested in playing.

guest11-boilerplate.jpg

Last edited:

Nephtys

First Post
I have some knowlege about the victorian era, but sadly none about the rules. This looks like a jolly good time, and if the obstacle of my ignorance can be removed I'd like to apply to play.

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Nephtys said:
I have some knowlege about the victorian era, but sadly none about the rules. This looks like a jolly good time, and if the obstacle of my ignorance can be removed I'd like to apply to play.

No not at all. I will put you on the list and let's see what shakes out.

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Here is an example of what a character would look like for the game.

BOURNEP.jpg

Colour Sargeant Frank Bourne, British Solider [90pp] PL 6:
Attributes 30pp + Skills 19pp [76 ranks] + Feats 14pp + Combat 20pp + Saves 7pp = 90pp

Attributes:
STR 16 [+3] DEX 14 [+2] CON 16 [+3] INT 14 [+2]; WIS 14 [+2] CHA 16 [+3];
30pp

Skills:
Climb 4 Ranks [+7]
Intimidate 10 Ranks [+13]
Knowledge (Tactics) 6 Ranks [+8]
Medicine 4 Ranks [+6]
Notice 8 Ranks [+10]
Profession (Non Commissioned Officer) 10 Ranks [+12]
Sense Motive 8 Ranks [+10]
Stealth 6 Ranks [+8]
Survival 6 Ranks [+8]
Swim 6 Ranks [+8]
19pp [76 ranks]

Feats:
Attack Focus (Melee), Benefit (British Military: NCO), Endurance, Equipment 2, Fearless, Improved Aim, Improved Grab, Inspire, Leadership, Teamwork 2, Tough 1, Weapon Bind
14 pp

Combat:
Attack: +5;
Damage: +3 (Fist), +4 (Rifle), +4 (Bayonet)
Defense: +5
Initiative: +2 (+2 Dex,)
20 pp

Equipment:
Lee Metford Bolt Action Rifle (DMG: +5, CRIT: 20, DMG DESCR: Ballistic, RNG INC: 50ft; SIZE: Large, AMMO: 8 [require one standard action to reload clip]
EQUIPMENT COST: 9

Saves:
Toughness: +4
Fortitude: +5
Reflex: +4
Willpower: +5.
7 pp

Colour Sergeant Frank Bourne, a virtual characterization of the stiff upper lip non-com, depicts ramrod discipline as a kind of profound wisdom. He was born in Balcombe Sussex, 1855. He enlisted into the army on 18th December 1872. Within three years he had made the rank of Corporal and three years later was promoted to Colour Sergeant. After the Battle of Rorke's Drift, Frank Bourne was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, along with an offer of an immediate commission, which he declined. Frank Bourne went on to serve in India and Burma.

Last edited:

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Normal Abilities are limited to a maximum of 20. Attack, Defense, Toughness, and Damage DC is limited by the Power level of the game which is 6. Though trade offs are allow in character creation. For example; A character might have a higher max Defense for a lower max Toughness.

The most ranks you can have in any one skill is PL + 5. So starting characters can have a max of 11 Ranks (6+5) in a skill.

There might be some instances when you might be able to go over the set Power Level limits but I will handle those in game as they come up.

Yellow Sign

Explorer
aphid2wr9.jpg

H.M.S. Wasp Aphid Class Aerial Gunboat
Size: Gargantuan [3 points]
STR: 40 [6 points]
Speed: Flight 3 [6 points]
Toughness: 11 [6 points]
Features:
Smokescreen [1 point]
Spot Light (Light Control 1) [2 points]
Powers:
1 Four-inch quick-firing gun (DMG +8, Burst) [24 points]
2 One-pound Hotchkiss rotating cannon (DMG +6, Autofire) [36 points]

Equipment Cost: 84 ep

Wasp was built in 1888 for the Syrtis Major station. Wasp is 90 feet long, 30 feet wide and measures 160 tons. Her triple expansion steam engine delivers 250 horsepower to a single wood air screw. It also powers a small dynamo which provides electricity for search and signaling lights. Louver slats of Meepsorian liftwood in the hull, controlled by a complicated arrangement of trim levers, can lift the ship to a high altitude. Though lightly armored, the Aphid class gunboats are well armed, mounting a four-inch quick-firing gun on the foredeck and two one-pound Hotchkiss rotating cannon on the wings. The normal complement is 15 men.

Specifications: Aphid class aerial gunboat: built by Royal Navy Shipyard, Syrtis Major, Mars
Engine: triple expansion steam engine with 250 horsepower, imported from Earth
Length: 90 feet
Beam: 22 feet, overall width (including gun wings and rudders) is 30 feet
Height: 19 feet, 8 inches (not counting the mast)
Weight: 160 tons
Airspeed: 42 knots
Ceiling: 10,500 feet
Endurance: 20 days
Armament: 1 four-inch quick-firing gun, 2 one-pound Hotchkiss rotating cannon
Crew: 15 (one officer and fourteen enlisted).

doghead

thotd
Hey Yellowsign,

I shouldn't cos I have so much on my plate as it is ... but, well, this is just like Calibration. I am honour bound to step up and declare my support for this marvelous endeavour.

Unfortunately, I have never played M&M, nor have any access to the rules. But give me the weekend, and I shall cobble together something resembling a character from what you have posted so far. You might have to do some fairly serious reconstructive surgury on it however.

Are you looking for military characters? And is British the prefered nationality. I have a hankering to play the Germans, or a German to be more precise.

thotd

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Doghead,
I am glad you like my idea! :D A German character sounds great to me and no you don't have to play a Brit! It is pretty much wide open on character creation.

------

Now it looks like I might have to drum up some interest from outside of ENWorld as I have only two people interested and they both don't have the MM rules. As for that, if you can come up with an character idea, I am sure we can work together to build a character.

More too come.

YS

Remove ads