Dream job or Dream lifestyle

Dream Job or Dream lifestyle

• Dream Job

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Dream lifestyle

Votes: 50 90.9%

DonTadow

First Post
I have an important decision to make over the next two weeks and am curious how others would handle it. I've wanted to be in the game field all of my life, and I finally got the job offer of a lifetime working at a particular gaming company. The problem is, that the job barely pays above minimium wage, but it is still a "dream job". My very first professional job I had paid twice as much as this job, and I"ve always had a pretty good average salary.

A week ago, I was all set to move despite the salary. I am a man of my word though, and decided to at least finish out the job interviews I scheduled with several organizations in the area. Thursday, changed everything. I was offered a position in the field I work in now (non-profit) with promised job security, free medical, and a 60,000+ salary. It's almost four times as much I'd be making in the dream job. It's almost twice as much as I've ever made. Iti'll allow me to have the "dream lifestyle" I've always wanted. New car, finish paying off my condo, finally aford dwarven forge stuff ect. The field is something i'm good at and dont mind doing, but by far its not what i went to school for.

So what is more important in life. Dream job or Dream lifestyle.

How old are you, and do you have any dependents? 15K ain't a lot of money. It isn't gonna be much of a dream job if you starve to death. Given the state of the industry, I can't imagine there is a lot of job security, and making a subsistence wage doesn't give you a lot of cushion to fall back on.

If you're young, debt free, dependent free, and can still crash in your parents' basement or a friends couch if the dream job goes south, then give it a shot for a year and see what happens. It's a lot harder to give up the big bucks once you have them, so now would be the chance.

DonTadow

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
How old are you, and do you have any dependents? 15K ain't a lot of money. It isn't gonna be much of a dream job if you starve to death. Given the state of the industry, I can't imagine there is a lot of job security, and making a subsistence wage doesn't give you a lot of cushion to fall back on.

If you're young, debt free, dependent free, and can still crash in your parents' basement or a friends couch if the dream job goes south, then give it a shot for a year and see what happens. It's a lot harder to give up the big bucks once you have them, so now would be the chance.
I'm 28 years old and i dont have any kids. Also, the dream job is 400 miles in another state from where i'm at now and id be in charge of moving expenses. The dream lifestyle job is 30 minutes away.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I would go with the Dream Job, but I have very little ambition. The fact that you want a new car and dwarven stuff and all the benefits of a big salary seems that the Dream lifestyle will probably be more rewarding in the long run.

ssampier

First Post
Wow, that's a tough decision.

I think the question remains, "Where are you financially?" If you have a car payment, student loans, and credit card bills, I don't think you could live on $15 k (I make $18k and I have help with bills).

If you are financially stable, own your car, and have money in the bank for incidentials, I'd go with the dream job. You can always go back to the dream lifestyle; make sure to stay in contact with them during your tenure at the dream job, however.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
No question about it, I'd go with the dream lifestyle. With the leisure time you buy with financial security, you can write game materials for them on a freelance basis - and have the best of both worlds.

I'm totally with Pkitty here. Unless the 60K job is something you despise, take it over a poverty-level job that you adore. Because honestly, it ain't hard to self-publish, especially if you're willing to toss money into it. Would you rather make 15K and publish some, or make 60K, spend 15K (which is probably way more than you need), and publish the same stuff on your own, with 45K to afford the expenses of living, loving, and bluffing?

Me? I'd pick Liv Tyler.

DonTadow said:
I'm 28 years old and i dont have any kids. Also, the dream job is 400 miles in another state from where i'm at now and id be in charge of moving expenses. The dream lifestyle job is 30 minutes away.

No choice, then, really. That's just not enough money to get by on if you don't have an alternate source of income or really big reserves to draw on, and you don't have an easy out if the company goes under or it doesn't work out. Piratecat has the right idea.

Having a dream job can be (obviously) very rewarding, but having a dream job where you also have to worry about making rent, can't afford to fly home for the holidays, or take a date out to a fancy restaurant can be emotionally draining and rob you of whatever love for the career you once had.

Turanil

First Post
Beware that what seems to be a "dream job" at first sight, may eventually quickly become a boring job. Then you will direly regret the "dream lifestyle" opportunity.

I voted "dream lifestyle". My advice: don't hesitate.

Remove ads