Tome of Battle - Book of Nine Swords

pfisteria

First Post
I picked this up this morning at my local Borders because it looked interesting to me. I haven't had a chance to do a full read through (as I am at work today), however I was wondering if there was a thread already discussing this book (as I haven't found one, and I can be amazingly obtuse at times). If there is, could some one please direct me to it?

Last edited:

pfisteria

First Post
Is that so? I guess that explains why I can't find anyone talking about the book on here.

The Borders also had the Forgotten Realms dragon book for sale (the name escapes me at the moment).

JustKim

First Post
Okay, well, I just opened it up so I can't really give a whole impression. The classes do seem more powerful than the fighter, it's already been noted that the warblade can take weapon specialization and has d12 HD, the crusader is also proficient with tower shields.

Crusaders get a number of abilities that aid saving throws, like mettle, zealous surge (Like luck domain for saves), and indomitable soul (weaker divine grace). Most of the time they won't actually be taking damage until the end of their next turn because of a delayed damage pool which starts at 5 at 1st level. The delayed damage pool adds a bonus to attack and damage while you're waiting to be hurt. They have 4+Int skills but their class skills are few and uninteresting. One thing I don't like about the class is that while you can pick the maneuvers you prepare, the ones you have available at the start of an encounter are "determined randomly", even at 20th level. Maybe there's a feat or something to counter this, I haven't read that far.

Swordsages are the class that depends most on the book's mechanics, and I haven't read into the maneuvers/stances yet. The class reminds me a lot of the ranger with 6+Int skills, two good saves, abilities that scale every 4-5 levels, light armor, d8 HD and evasion. They gain a bonus to initiative, but no sneak attack.. possibly some maneuvers are useful against flatfooted opponents. It looks like they focus on specific weapons attributed to their chosen discipline and also draw some inspiration from kensai with bonuses to attack/damage/saves while wielding these weapons. They can ready more maneuvers than the other classes, but only about 25-50% more than the warblade.

The warblade has already been covered so I'm going to skip it.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Thanks JustKim, I've been really looking forward to looking at the Swordsage myself. :)

Hopefully they're not all too powerful compared to the original base classes, though I have the feeling that WotC are trying something that can compete with the Cleric and Wizard in terms of power.

JustKim

First Post
The new skill, Martial Lore, is very much Spellcraft for the new system, letting you identify and learn maneuvers being used. The new general feats are listed in the excerpt, but they left out quite a few..

Divine Feats
Divine Spirit (Heal yourself as an immediate action)

Item Creation Feats
Scribe Martial Script (These are scrolls for maneuvers, usable once, that make use of the Martial Lore skill)

Psionic Feats
Instant Clarity (Regain psionic focus after using a maneuver)
Psychic Renewal (Expend psionic focus to recover a maneuver)

Tactical Feats
Clarion Commander (Grant allies AoOs and flanking, take AoOs when you aid another)
Distant Horizon (Bonus to checks after bull rushing, counter charges, extra damage after flanking)
Faith Unswerving (Move after charging, take an attack for an ally, immediate attack when knocked unconscious)
Gloom Razor (Use hide skill for selective invisibility, enemies are flatfooted when you attack and move, easier tumble)
Perfect Clarity of Mind and Body (Bonus speed and AC after full defense, bonus to disarm, feint or trip after intimidating, intimidate after damaging, disarming or tripping)
Reaping Talons (Whirlwind attack against enemies who attack you while fighting defensively, bonus to attack and AC with Tiger Claw weapons)
Scorching Sirocco (Ignite opponents with a tumble check (?), grant allies attack bonus when using Desert Wind, tumbling past enemies damages them)
Shards of Granite (Ignore hardness, lessen penalty of Stone Power feat, overcome DR)
Stormguard Warrior (Waive AoOs for attack/damage bonus, make melee touch attacks to improve weapon damage, defensive fighting bonus against multiple enemies)

Remove ads