Strahd's "RttToEE" CLOSED

Tonks

First Post
Lenuran had not expected his words to have such an effect on the others, but with the First Council proclaiming him as far more than a simple scribe, he should have seen the possibility of this happening.

Taking a quick sip of his wine and looking towards the east for a moment, Lenuran knew he could stall no longer. With a steady voice that seemed to pull each of the listeners just a little closer towards him, Lenuran started to speak.

"The last time I was in Hommlet was almost a decade ago, just after the original Temple was destroyed. I was sent to the village, as it was little more than that at the time, to collect what information I could on those who had ventured into that vile place. Sadly all there was for me to gather were the memories of the people they briefly interacted with as they passed through the town. After I found out that thee was little to be gained from visiting the famous landmarks of the moathouse, the town of Nulb, or the insides of the temple itself, I began searching for the homelands of the heroes and met with little success there as well."

Feeling that those gathered cared little to hear about the things he could not provide for them, Lenuran focused instead on the information that he could give them.

"There is a castle, well they call it a castle but it is little more than a glorified watch tower, built by two locals named Burne and Rufus. I was never invited inside, so I can tell you little more than it appears solid and the locals draw a measure of confidence from its presence. Elmo was seen a buffoon who managed to keep the militia running despite his shortcomings, but I know this only from whispered conversations that I had with many of the townsfolk while I rested in the Welcome Wench. To be honest I am surprised to hear the First Council mention him again."

Reaching down and brining his glass to his lips once more, Lenuran moistened his lips and resumed his narrative.

"I only had the pleasure to speak directly with two of the junior priests of the Church of St. Cuthbert, Calmer and Terjon were their names. They mentioned the Canoness many times, but I was not in Hommlet long enough to press the issue of meeting her. It was Ostler Gundigoot's advice that I heeded in this regard, I wonder if he still runs the Wench as he was an old man when I first met him, as he knew the pulse of the town like no other."

Lenuran's smile fades as his mind recalled the darker memories of the small town.

"Even good people can be fooled though, as the Temple had spies planted in the Trading Post and even though they were eventually discovered, the damage was done to the morale of the town. Cuthbert himself alone knows what jail those two have been condemned to spend the remainder of their days.

Forcing himself to shake off the dark cloud, Lenuran refocused on the many positive memories that he carried from his visit.

"There are many good people that I hope still call Hommlet home. A dear friend of mine, Madame Naddy Tomanloft, ran a small leatherworking shop. She was a fine craftsman, and the fact that she is a fellow gnome is not a fact I would overlook.
A fine wizard also called that town his home, and Spugnoir and I shared more than one bottle of imported elvish wine while I was in town. The druid Jaroo Ashstaff of the Old Faith also keeps a home in the small grove he calls his own. It was a pleasure getting to spend many mornings in that small slice of paradise."

Taking the last swallow from his glass of wine, Lenuran placed it back on the table and placed his hands on the edge of the table.

"I wish I could tell you more, but I was in town for less than two weeks before I moved onwards."

Land Outcast

Explorer
Edirion nods, once, sharply.

It is good to know where we are heading... no, there aren't any news on that, we just got our destination colorfully fleshed out...

To know there were those who they could contact once in the town results enough of a relief for Edirion, who was starting to think the Council was playing the ridicule by sending them in a "subterfuge" mission without any resources at all.

Incompetence of these nobles is evident, one of us had more useful information than they provided us with. At least we do have someone who is already proving his value here.

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The Kid finishes his last piece of mutton as the gnome finishes. The scarred elf then makes his nod, reminding him of a dour commander he once knew. Wiping his mouth with an available piece of cloth, the Kid added, "Then, I guess we rest and leave tomorrow. I'd like to see a map to best scout a trail, but other than that, I'm set."

The journey to Hommlet

Second Sunday, Coldeven. 9/3/600

You wake up to a loud knocking on the Door
The first counsel will wait you in the south gate
Says the guard and depart.

I wish you safe travel, bring back good news friends
Says Atzil as he waits under the cover of the Gate tower.
Hopefully the rain will stop tomorrow.

[sblock=By foot or with horses? ] – please specify how you travel, if anyone got an horse or is intending to purchase one in one of the many stables in Verbobonc, please write down the horse stats in a spoiler box in your character sheet, you can even name them to easy on the DM when my monsters will attack them :) [/sblock]

stonegod

The Kid hunkers down under a voluminous cloak, trying to stay dry. He leads out a fiesty roan with an impressive military saddle. On the horse, you can tell that the Kid depends on natural skill than training to ride the horse, but he seems competent enough for non-cavalry.

"Let's do this."

[sblock=OOC]The Kid is fine by horse (he already has one; putting the stat block up now). Did he ever get a look at a map?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Land Outcast

Explorer
After the first knocking, the guard is startled to find the door is being opened.
"Yes?" asks Edirion, ready to depart some four hours ago.

The first counsel will wait you in the south gate, Sir

Without a word, the elf leaves the man in front of his room and directs himself to the south gate.
--------------

Walking through the courtyard, paying no heed to the rain, the elf brings his steed from the stables and in one swift motion is on the practical saddle, ready to depart.

The journey to Hommlet

Passing one of the many streams that spring from the deep of the Kron hills and connect to the Velverdyva a mile from Verbobonc, you make your way to the town of Hommlet, the road is well kept and it's safe to travel during those times of peace. farms are scattered around the many Cotton and wheat fields all the way from the grassy plains to the Kron hills in the south, blanket of cumulonimbus clouds cover the sky and the sun, the rain pours and those of you who wear helmets can hear the annoying knocking sound of the rain.
This weather kept most of the merchants back in town, which is why traffic is light, both human and gnome delayed their plans to travel to and from the hills it seems. Flocks of birds can be seen in the horizon, escaping the foul weather, even the wild beast decided to stay inside their tunnels and hideouts.
A group of pilgrims can be seen no the road, making their way to the free city, there are six of them, they are covered with heavy cloaks, to protect their small bodies and faces.
Some of them approach you with heads down and extended hands.
Will you donate some coins to Cyrrollalee The Faithful?

[sblock= Knowledge religion]
Miltiades – you think Cyrrollalee is an Halfling goddess, but your are not sure.
Llewellyn Mourner – you are unfamiliar with this name.
[/sblock]

Tonks

First Post
Second Sunday, Coldeven. 9/3/600

As the guard rapped on his door, Lenuran came awake quickly and met with the others assembled by the south gate. The rain had maintained its steady fall during the night leaving the cobbleroads slick. Riding on the small pony he had purchased after the meeting was over, Lenuran knew that the journey would be far from pleasant for him, but he would not slow the others down by walking.

'Sores heal quickly and with some luck I will gather the knack for this soon...'

The meeting with the First Council was brief with Atzil saying little more than a final wish of good luck and gods speed and then they were off towards Hommlet.

After the sixth hour of steady rain, Lenuran's cloak began to allow moisture to seep through which did little to keep Lenuran's mood positive. As they were approached by a band of smallfolk pilgrims requesting coin, Lenuran felt shame in complaining about his position while their were clergymen travelling in the rain and mud. Reaching into his side pouch, as the bulk of his coin was hidden in his pack, he pulled two gold coins free and approached them with an easy smile on his face.

"On such a day as this how could we not spare some coin for the clergy. May it help those in need as you travel north."

stonegod

Rain did not bother the Kid; you got used to it when you sat and waited during recon. In addition, the constant twirling of a free dagger in his non-reins hand kept his mind occupied. He saw the gnome was uncomfortable, but did not comment. He would get used to it.

With the appearance of the small band, the Kid hunkered down in his saddle. He did not have anything against them---he did know these folks---but the faithful did not help him too much during this urchin days. Too busy fighting the war or protecting the richer flock. Sure, some church goers were good enough, but, for the most part, the Kid did without them.

Remove ads