Minis Articles on the D&D Page...

Scribble

First Post
It's not really soemthing that makes me angry... But why are there minis articles on the D&D page? Granted,. the two are related, but the minis game has an entire section devoted to it already...

Scribble

First Post
DaveMage said:
'Cause they want every D&D player to buy the minis. :)

Conform! Conform!

Yeah that's the thing... Like the current article about generating a warband. I really couldn't care less what the most efficient way to do this is. I don't play the minis game. I'm sure someone who plays the game will find it helpfull or insightful, but they're probably already on the minis page for this info anyway!

The only reason I see it is for what you said. They figure if they shove it in my face enough I'll eventually break down and decide to play it...

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I do buy the minis for RPG purposes, but I don't play the minis game either.

That was one of the first things I noticed about the 3.5 Player's Handbook. Unlike the 3.0 version, where is says (paraphrasing) that you need something to represent your character (counter, paper, mini), the 3.5 version says that you need(!) miniatures to represent your characters and the monsters they fight. That ticked me off.

However, I have since mellowed a bit since I believe that it's the minis themselves that have delayed the need for WotC to produce 4.0 by a bit.

So, I tolerate the minis marketing push, even though it can be annoying to the non-skirmisher. :)

Scribble

First Post
DaveMage said:
I do buy the minis for RPG purposes, but I don't play the minis game either.

That was one of the first things I noticed about the 3.5 Player's Handbook. Unlike the 3.0 version, where is says (paraphrasing) that you need something to represent your character (counter, paper, mini), the 3.5 version says that you need(!) miniatures to represent your characters and the monsters they fight. That ticked me off.

However, I have since mellowed a bit since I believe that it's the minis themselves that have delayed the need for WotC to produce 4.0 by a bit.

So, I tolerate the minis marketing push, even though it can be annoying to the non-skirmisher. :)

I sometimes buy them... But I can't deal witht he collectible aspect. Counter Collection Digital is what I use... I LOVE it. It rocks.

I wouldn't mind if the article related in some way to the D&D game... But it's just an article about several designers putting together a warband...

Again though, It's their web page... And I'm paying for none of the articles, so beggers can't be choosers I guess! :p

crazy_cat

Adventurer
Scribble said:
It's not really soemthing that makes me angry... But why are there minis articles on the D&D page? Granted,. the two are related, but the minis game has an entire section devoted to it already...

Because they want us to buy them maybe, in the same way they tell us about the new books coming out each month on the D&D homepage - I mean, why do they do that, they've got a perfectly good products page for that.

Scribble

First Post
crazy_cat said:
Because they want us to buy them maybe, in the same way they tell us about the new books coming out each month on the D&D homepage - I mean, why do they do that, they've got a perfectly good products page for that.

True, but in the case of telling me about the new books, since they tend to be RPG books, it seems like it fits in the D&D page... Because those books are books I'll use in a D&D campaign.

I might use the minis in my game, so articles like "Check out the new set coming out!" are usefull (sort of) an article about how to build a warband isn't... Because knowledge of a good warband doesn't effect my game...

crazy_cat

Adventurer
Scribble said:
*snip*
I might use the minis in my game, so articles like "Check out the new set coming out!" are usefull (sort of) an article about how to build a warband isn't... Because knowledge of a good warband doesn't effect my game...

But this isn't really about what we as D&D players find useful.

Its WOTC website. They produce material for DDM players (such as articles on warbands) and that goes on the DDM website. They put it on the D&D web page as well as a marketing tool. Given they were already going to produce it anyways for another audience if even only 1 or 2 D&D players read it and buy some minins (or more minis than they were already planning to) then its a win for WOTC - unless we all get so upset by the articles that we all stop visiting the site and supporting WOTC and D&D and all start buying Runeqest or WFRP instead.

Personally I just ignore the articles as I just buy the minis for RPG use and couldn't care less about how the skirmish game works.

Scribble

First Post
crazy_cat said:
But this isn't really about what we as D&D players find useful.

Its WOTC website. They produce material for DDM players (such as articles on warbands) and that goes on the DDM website. They put it on the D&D web page as well as a marketing tool. Given they were already going to produce it anyways for another audience if even only 1 or 2 D&D players read it and buy some minins (or more minis than they were already planning to) then its a win for WOTC - unless we all get so upset by the articles that we all stop visiting the site and supporting WOTC and D&D and all start buying Runeqest or WFRP instead.

Personally I just ignore the articles as I just buy the minis for RPG use and couldn't care less about how the skirmish game works.

Which again is why I said it doesn't make me angry... I just find it funny I guess... in that "this seems out of place..." sort of way.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases