Learning Druidic

smittythesmith

First Post
If you have a character with UMD (use magic device) you can cast a scroll of Awaken and there is a good chance that the awakened animal (or plant) will know druidic.

Li Shenron

Legend
Hey all,
I'm pretty sure a similar question has been asked here before, but I'll ask again. Is there any way to learn the secret Druidic language besides taking a level of Druid?

I ask because I'm developing a diviner wizard (eventually going into the Loremaster PrC), who is only concerned with learning information. A good deal of the information he'll gather is normal and ancient lore, but he also focusses on learning info/secrets of other people. Ideally I'd like to see both PCs and NPCs coming to him when they need info on foes, situations, etc. Sort of an information broker.

Because of that, I imagine him with rooms full of books which dictate what he's learned. And a perfect way to keep the info secret in case it fell into the wrong hands would be by chronicling everything in Druidic. But it's not worth taking a level of Druid just for that bit of kitsch.

So, any ways around that level of Druid? Or is there a way to get an equivalent result without using Druidic? Perhaps a different extremely rare language?
Thanks for the insight!

It depends on how 'special' you want the Druidic language to be in your fantasy world.

I totally expect that a lot of DMs just don't care, and would treat Druidic (and Thieves' Cant) as 'just another language', yawn... Get the proficiency in the same way as any other, e.g. as part of your background, with the Linguist feat, or just plain swap one known language with that.

On the other hand, secret languages can be more cool, but then you have to enforce the secrecy by restricting access to them.

My idea here is that you don't need to use Druidic at all. All you need is any one secret language. So instead of spoiling the existing Druidic language, make up you character's own secret code, let it cost exactly one language proficiency, and it will be even safer for your purpose since nobody else knows it.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Heh. I've long since ditched that profile and 3rd Edition and never actually played that character. But thanks for the thoughts and replies anyway!

Rebel7284

First Post
I have researched this topic extensively, and there are two ways that I know of that don't involve making a druid fall:

1. Hellbred: Fiendish Codex II pg. 78 know the languages that they knew in their last life. Just say that they were a druid in their last life.
2. Shad from Planescape 3.5 update can select Druidic as a language upon character creation. 3.5 Update can be found here: http://mimir.planewalker.com/sites/default/files/chapter2.pdf

Remove ads