Learning Druidic

atomn

Explorer
Hey all,
I'm pretty sure a similar question has been asked here before, but I'll ask again. Is there any way to learn the secret Druidic language besides taking a level of Druid?

I ask because I'm developing a diviner wizard (eventually going into the Loremaster PrC), who is only concerned with learning information. A good deal of the information he'll gather is normal and ancient lore, but he also focusses on learning info/secrets of other people. Ideally I'd like to see both PCs and NPCs coming to him when they need info on foes, situations, etc. Sort of an information broker.

Because of that, I imagine him with rooms full of books which dictate what he's learned. And a perfect way to keep the info secret in case it fell into the wrong hands would be by chronicling everything in Druidic. But it's not worth taking a level of Druid just for that bit of kitsch.

So, any ways around that level of Druid? Or is there a way to get an equivalent result without using Druidic? Perhaps a different extremely rare language?
Thanks for the insight!

mikebr99

Explorer
atomn said:
Hey all,
I'm pretty sure a similar question has been asked here before, but I'll ask again. Is there any way to learn the secret Druidic language besides taking a level of Druid?

I ask because I'm developing a diviner wizard (eventually going into the Loremaster PrC), who is only concerned with learning information. A good deal of the information he'll gather is normal and ancient lore, but he also focusses on learning info/secrets of other people. Ideally I'd like to see both PCs and NPCs coming to him when they need info on foes, situations, etc. Sort of an information broker.

Because of that, I imagine him with rooms full of books which dictate what he's learned. And a perfect way to keep the info secret in case it fell into the wrong hands would be by chronicling everything in Druidic. But it's not worth taking a level of Druid just for that bit of kitsch.

So, any ways around that level of Druid? Or is there a way to get an equivalent result without using Druidic? Perhaps a different extremely rare language?
Thanks for the insight!
I imagine an ex-druid... a Blighter... would have no qualms about teaching a non-Druid the forbidden language.

YMMV

Mike

wmasters

First Post
I'm not 100%, but I think the answer is that you need the level of Druid to speak Druidic. I've got a character in Arcanis who's a linguist (and also heading towards a loremaster) and Druidic is the only language on the normal list that I can't speak, so I'd be interested in knowing if it is doable.

Chronicalling everything in an obscure language sounds like a reasonable means of doing it, although there'll always be someone else out there that can translate it. There's spell protection you can use to, like secret page or sepia snake sigil. The other option is possibly to hide the entire room behind a secret door etc and have another library of not-secret books.

atomn

Explorer
Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks for the suggestions though, they're good ones! I especially like the secret room. It'd be really cool to have a fake secret library full of false compiled info. Noone would be too likely to search for the real secret library if they already thought they found it!

frankthedm

First Post
To learn druidic you just need a druid willing to lose their powers. In my own game not teaching others druidic is backed up by a life oath, so to Atone for that violation the cost is great. Though it seems some posters do not appreciate that concept.

How far will your Druids go to keep their language secret?
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=112589

A druid also knows Druidic, a secret language known only to druids, which she learns upon becoming a 1st-level druid. Druidic is a free language for a druid; that is, she knows it in addition to her regular allotment of languages and it doesn’t take up a language slot. Druids are forbidden to teach this language to nondruids.

Druidic has its own alphabet.

Ex-Druids
A druid who ceases to revere nature, changes to a prohibited alignment, or teaches the Druidic language to a nondruid loses all spells and druid abilities (including her animal companion, but not including weapon, armor, and shield proficiencies). She cannot thereafter gain levels as a druid until she atones (see the atonement spell description).

What do your druids do when outsiders learn the language from another druid?

Mine, if the druid who taught wants Atonement, the teacher needs to kill the learner and take proper steps to prevent raising from the dead, typicly by burning the learner in a wicker man and scattering the ashes. If other druids have to involve themselves to set matters right both teacher and learner are going to roast.

FrostedMini1337

First Post
You're taking loremaster, you gain new languages.

Bonus Languages: A loremaster can choose any new language at 4th and 8th level.

Also note that Applicable Knowledge Secret says you gain Any One Feat, it doesn't say you have to meet the prerequisites. Browse the epic ones.

Edit: Forgot I was on the internet, that last one is a joke (for the most part)

Dracomeander

First Post
The only way I know for a character to learn Druidic is to gain a level as a druid.

But that wouldn't accomplish what you are trying to do if you are wanting a language to keep information in for your character alone.

For what you want, you should talk with your GM about the possiblity of spending skill points to develope your character's own shorthand language for your character's notes.

There are researchers in the real world who have their own shorthand. It would not be beyond the realm of believability for a character such as yours who is so focused on research and note taking to do the same.

mikebr99

Explorer
FrostedMini1337 said:
You're taking loremaster, you gain new languages.

Bonus Languages: A loremaster can choose any new language at 4th and 8th level.

Also note that Applicable Knowledge Secret says you gain Any One Feat, it doesn't say you have to meet the prerequisites. Browse the epic ones.

Edit: Forgot I was on the internet, that last one is a joke (for the most part)
I hope that was a joke... it would specifically state that you didn't have to meet the prerequisites... if that was the intent.

Mike

frankthedm

First Post
Dracomeander said:
The only way I know for a character to learn Druidic is to gain a level as a druid.
The Druid class specifies teaching the language to a non druid is possible. It is even listed as a way to become an Ex-Druid.

Remove ads