COPS & ROBBERS Redux - The stories of cops in a steampunk setting

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
cops_n_robbers_logo_01.jpg

Hi.

When I was reading through my literally ancient Story Hour, Cops & Robbers, I discovered, much to my shock, that it was total :):):):)e. Especially the first dozen installments or so.

It was to be expected of course, these things take practice.

But GAWD!

It's not the stories themselves that bothered me (they were fun, to play anyway) but mostly the writing. Attention to detail is good. But it can be overdone. Too much detail is boring to read. No wonder how long it took me to write each installment.

So I decided to reboot it. I never got that long with writing it in game terms anyway (sure, the old thread reached a couple of pages, but only a couple of actual gaming sessions).

And here it is.

The next post is about the world.

The next after that on the characters.

Then the games begin.

Cheers,
- MM

Last edited:

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
The theme of my current campaign is that the players play cops in my technocracy/steampunkish kinda world. Since I and my group are all Icelandic, this was all originally played in Icelandic. All the names are the same with just maybe with different spelling because I wanted the pronounciation to come out right in english. City names like Serpent City and Iron City are direct translation and both sound much better in Icelandic. :)

The setting is a city named Serpent City. It is placed in the western continent of the world, which was first settled about 700 years ago by humans from the then-all-powerful Kentaarian Empire (that's sometime in the 11th century of the Kentaarian calendar). Before that the only sentinent races in the continent were gnomes and orcs. At first, both the gnomes and the orcs neither liked these new strange invaders and tried everything to stop them. The gnomes quickly changed suits after the Kentaarian army crushed and enslaved the whole orc civilization in one strike. Instead, they greeted the strangers with open arms, glad to be rid of those pesky orcs who had been tormenting them for milleniums.

Serpent City was the first city to be founded by humans in the new world, although back then it was named Forkwood City, after the neighbourhood woods. It was built from stone taken from the mountain ranges west of the city called Shadow Mountains. The spooky name comes the fact that the rocks the mountains mainly consist off are completely black. Therefor, Serpent City is nearly all completey black too.

About 400 years ago some gnome miners discovered a mysterious new blue-ish alloy in the southern mountains of the continent. The gnomes named it Thunderstone because of it's explosive qualities. The gnomes, who are known tinkers, were able to create such things as gunpowder and explosion combustion engines from this magical substance. Big markets formed around thunderstone products. When this thunderstone tech was combined with the age old human magic disciplines named Rune-Smithing (kinda lowpower magic item creation) by the tinkers of the gnome city Harrgard, such things as wargolems (big metallic warmachines, not always humanoid in form) and aircruisers (flying ships) were created which completely revelutionized the world's way of warfare and travelling.

When the aircruisers became the main tool of travel and trade in the world, the spires were built in many of the main trade cities. Colossal towers often up to 250-350 metres in height. They function as both multilevel docking stations and warehouses and as gigantic market places. The biggest one of them all is the the Serpent which is located in the centre of Serpent City (the city gets it current name from the contruct). Like the rest of the city the Serpent is made from completely black stone, except for the huge silver dragon statue that sits upon the top of the spire and circles it’s tail around the spire all the way down (a long tail, that). The idea is that the dragon sits upon it’s treasure (the treasure being the spire and all the riches it holds).

But the denizes of the western lands were not so happy, because all the profits from the thunderstone went straight to the Kentaarian Emperor. One day Lord Julius Dracani and his followers of New Leiteinscheir, a city south of Serpent City and east of Thunderstone Mountains revolted against the Empire. In the course of the following year all of the Kentaarian colonies except for Gromnburg (a city north of Shadow Mountain) joined Lord Dracani in the war. The war lasted for nearly a decade, or until the old Emperor died and his son took over, who thought that the war wasn't going be won and it would be better just to let them go. And so the western world got freedom to do whatever it wanted.

Some of the southern colonies joined New Leitenscheir into the Dracani Dynasty, ruled by King Julius Dracani I and some of the northern ones (like Serpent City) followed King Kerak, but most remained independant. But Kerak quickly came corrupted by the power and craved for more, so he raised an army and marched south. Kerak's war efforts did though not go well and lost all his followers outside of Serpent City. Then he confiscated the Serpent City's Merchant Guild's aircruiser fleet to aid him in his war efforts. This decision backfired on him though because without the fleet, the guild went out of business, this didn't exactly sit well with the guildmasters so they revolted against Kerak and chopped his head off on the palace's balconies. Now the Merchant Guild controlled Serpent City and they later founded the Union of Free Cities (usually just called 'the free cities' or 'the union') with some of the neighbourhood cities (all of which are now controlled by the guild).

The Guild is lead by a counsil of eight Guildmasters which are elected for life by guild members (which are mainly the rich people, seeing that how awfully high the entrance fee is). Non-guild members (which consist of nearly everyone) have very little rights against guild members. Still, life in the union is pretty good for most people as long as they don't get guild members against them. There are no taxes in the free cities since the guild gets all the neccasery funding from the rates they charge guild members.

The city is divided into wards, the further you go away from the spire the poorer the wards get.

• Surrounding the Serpent is the Merchant's Ward, which consists mostly of warehouses, but also holds the Guild's headquarters and the City Guard's main barracks.
  • North of the Merchant's Ward is the Industrial Ward. Here you can find everything from a upperclass blacksmith's workshop to a big steampunkish factory.[/i]
  • South of the Merchant's Ward you find the Upper Ward. The ward is the home to the most of the city's rich folk and bureocrats. [/i]
  • Beyound the Industrial Ward, you find the Western-, Northern- and Eastern Worker's Wards. Here you find the normal middle class people of the usual city professions (workers, housewives, smiths, experts, thiefs, prostitutes etc.) living their lives.[/i]
  • South of the Upper Ward there lie the Scholar's Ward and the Bard's Ward. The Scholar's Ward is a place of wisdom and teaching, there you find schools and libraries and clubs where people talk about the finer things in life and foreign poetry. The Bard's Ward is on the other hand a place of entertainment: theaters, street art and upper class harlots. [/i]
  • Closest to the city walls are the Lower Wards: The poor man's home and the center of most criminal organizations in the city. The people who live there are frowned at by the rest of the city and it return the population of the Lower Wards frown back. [/i]

The City Guard are Serpent City's police force and the closest the city has to an army. The only actual uniform they wear are special red capes (which are issued by the Guild). This has resulted in their nickname: The Red Capes' or just Capes'. It is lead by the Dux. The position in currently held by Jareck Frost, an old fat and bad-tempered fellow. The capes' job is to fight crimes which may...
  • ...make the Guild loose money.[/i]
  • ...inconvience the members of the guild.[/i]
  • ...trouble the non-guild citezens of the union so they won't start questioning their current rulership because the Guild doesn't really have any army to fight a possible rebellion.[/i]

The standard money unit in the world is the Silver Crown (equals one standard D&D gold piece), which then divides into 100 Cents (equals one standard D&D copper piece).

worldmap.jpg

map00.jpg

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Incognito Blackshadow (PC, Human Fighter 1 / Wizard 3)

Picture of Incognito
incognito.jpg

Incognito comes from a long line of capes. His mother died of birthing him and he was his parents' only child. His father never married again. His father, which loved him very much wanted his son to become something greater than a cape so he saved all his life for enough money to send his son to mage school in the old world, which he did and Icognito was sent to the faraway city of Calhara when he was twelve. Although he never really enjoyed his time in the school, he studied hard for his father. When he was nineteen his father was murdered by the serial killer called the Red Wizard. The Red Wizard was then killed by one of his father's fellow officers, Carp, but on his deathbed the Red Wizard promised he would return saying to Sergeant Carp: "Your death will be the door opened that will let me complete my task." After this Incognito returned home and joined the City Guard in to ensure that the Red Wizard would never return. He has been in the City Guard for two years.

Incocnito is very honourable and takes great pride in his work. He is loyal to his friends and loved
ones. He does not always agree with his superiours and the Guild, but he does not let it be in the way of doing his job. Incognito tends to be rather stubborn and sometimes looses control of his temper and sometimes in these rages he does things he later regrets. He feels some guilt of joining the capes since it's not what his father wanted.

Incognito is about 172 cm tall, medium built. He has short dark hair and green eyes. He is not very strong, but healthy. He wears leather armour and the city guard standard red cape and carries a pistol and a shortsword.

Stickler (PC, Human Rogue 4) and Kurk (PC, Orc Fighter 4)

Picture of Stickler
stickler.jpg

Picture of Kurk
kurk.jpg

(Made most sense to describe them together).

Stickler and Kurk grew up together on the streets of Serpent City's lower wards, stealing food and money to support themselves. Neither one of them ever knew their parents. They originally were protected by an older human boy named Jon, but he was killed by Grunt, the leader of the Brothers of Grunt bandit group when he tried to pickpocket him. Jon was eighteen at the time but Stickler and Kurk were both just twelve. Years later they heard that the capes had an unofficial war against the Brothers of Grunt so they joined the City Guardm wanting their share of Grunt's head. At first the City Guard didn't want/let them to join, because of their not-so-clean background but finally one of the capes, Sergeant Carp, supported their application and they joined.

Stickler is not the serious type. He tends to make fun at everything and just can't comprehend why his partners aren't always amused. Kurk likes the finer things in life, like crushing people with a good club. He's not the intelligent type. He's very impatient and cracks easily under pressure (which usually results in him waving his axe around a lot. They're both a bit greedy but very loyal to their friends which are their only family.

Stickler is short, only about 165 cm tall and is lightly built. He has short dirty blonde hair and grey eyes. He usually wears a black shirt and panths and the standard city guard red cape. He is armed with a pistol, a shortsword and a dagger. Kurk is tall, over 180 cm and is heavily built. He wears studded leather and the standard city guard red cape. He is sometimes armed with a waraxe and sometimes an greatsword, depending on his mood. He usually doesn't use firearms but is very cabable with one if so is needed.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Session One: "The Brotherhood of Grunt"

Sergeant Carp and his team (the PCs) have been assigned to investigate recent string of pirate raids on thunderstone shipments. They went aboard an aircruiser - shipping thunderstone from Iron City - in hope it would be attacked. You were about to loose hope in that it would when a big metallic cruiser appears out of the mists of Shadow Mountains and fires harpoons at the ship, which hit and the pirates draw the cargo cruiser to them. Orc and human pirates start boarding the ship.

Picture of Sergeant Carp
carp.jpg

In leadership of the pirates is Grunt, and one eared Orc well known by the PCs as the leader of the Brotherhood of Grunt bandit group, an old thorn in the Free Cities’ arse. When he discovers the red capes aboard the cruiser he snarls at Carp: “Ah Sergeant Carp, it would seem you owe me an ear!”, and signals his men to attack. He opens his black villain-ish cloak, revealing rusty chainmail and starts waving his sword around.

Picture of Grunt
grunt.jpg

The thugs attack, but are quickly dispatched by waves of the sleep spell cast by Incognito and dozens of rounds of ammonution fired by the rest of the capes and cruiser’s guards and crew. After Grunt himself gets his sword knocked out of his hand by a fierce blow from Kurk’s greatsword, he decides not to take his chances and orders his men to retreat: “This ain’t worth it! There are many more ships to raid!”

The remaining thugs quickly follow their leader back aboard the pirate ship and with the engines roaring, their cruiser starts to move away from the capes. They try to stop the pirate cruiser, throwing hooks and ropes aboard it, but without any success. As a final try as the gap between the two cruiser widens, Kurk literally jumps after it, just barely succeeding in getting a hold onto one of the harpoon ropes hanging from the ship. After dangling there for some time, Kurk starts to slowly climb the rope and onto the ship.

Just as Kurk gets his balance he is attacked by two thugs, but both are quickly dealt with. Kurk chops one thug’s head off in one blow and the other gets a stab in the gut, showering the floor with entrails. Grunt grabs himself an axe and faces Kurk himself muttering something like “...always ya gotta do it yerself fergawdsake!”.

Kurk throws himself at Grunt, but Grunt dodges the blow with ease. Kurk does not wait to strike again but again blow is easily parried by Grunt who then lands a blow into Kurk's arm followed by kick that knocks Kurk's blade out of his hands. In desperate defense Kurk grabs a nearby bucket and throws it at Grunt who slices it in half in mid air. Grunt gives Kurk another kick, this time in the chest so that Kurk falls backwards onto his behind. Grunt patiently waits for Kurk to stand up and when he finally does, Grunt gives him a third kick. This time, Kurk doesn't fall down, but fumbles backwards all the way to the right side of the ship. Kurk tries to grab Grunt by the neck with his bare hands, but Grunt is stronger and pushes him over the side and off the ship. Kurk falls down bu tis saved by Incognito’s quick responses as he casts levitate on him and levitates him back aboard the merchant cruiser.

From distance Grunt signals the capes with some insulting gestures. Sergeant Carp swears under his breath as he watches the pirate vessel disappear into the distance. “Shake the bodies,” he says to the PCs, “see who are dead and who are just sleeping. Then tie the sleepy heads up. We need to get the location of their base out of someone of them.”

After and hypnotize spell and some “suggestions” one of the prisoners tells them that the base is located in an old abandoned Kentaari stronghold just west of the great stone mines in the Shadow Mountains, deep into the fog. The party agrees on going back to Serpent City, get rid of the prisoners, get some rest and healing before they head over to the stronghold with some backup.

The next day the party heads over to Shadow Mountains with a raiding party of twelve well armed men aboard a City Guard aircruiser (notably known by the red sails and the big twin cannons standing out of the front). After four hour of cruising over plains and woodland the ship sails deep into the Shadow Mountains, beyond the stone mines and into the thick fog. After cruising straight ahead blindly for a couple of minutes, the fear of sailing straight into the rocky hills has nearly made them turn around. Those plans are abandoned when they see a strong blue light source in the distance. It is a guidance beacon.

As they come closer to the beacon the grey fortress walls of the ancient Kentaari stronghold come into view. It built into the mountain side out of light grey stone bricks, in strong contrast to the dark black rock of the Shadow Mountains, that surround it. The Kentaarian army obviously didn’t trust the native building material so they brought their own. Grunt’s ship is docked next to one of and the big two cannons which are located at either side of the base.

The capes keep themselves in the fog so they shouldn’t be seen by the pirates while they hatch their plan. The plan is just to storm the place in one quick strike. The only problem being the two cannons that defend the base. They should be able to blow one cannon up with the ship’s cannons, but not both. Just as they’d attack one cannon, they’d automaticly be sitting ducks for the other, so the PCs get the mission of sneaking into the base and blow one of the cannons up.

The PCs are dropped off out of sight and slowly they find their way into the base. When they finally get to the stronghold, Stickler sneaks onto the base with a grenade in each hand. He hears some voices and quickly jumps to hide behind some boxes.

“I don’t understand what they need all this thunderstone for,” It’s a whiny squeaky voice. It sounds like it has done it’s fair share of complaining through the years, “I mean, we’ve stolen enough to blow up half the Serpent for God’s sake! And now the capes are on to use, this job has become way too high profile for me ye know.”

“Sixteen good lads went down yesterday.” Another voice, much deeper. “Pity.” It sounds as it had done it’s fair share of following orders without any thought put into distractions like ‘why?’ or ‘what for?’, “Of course da boss probably has a good reason for all of this.”

“Then why doesn’t he share it with us then? I mean, I’d really like to know what I’m risking my neck for! ”

“But Scarran, if he told us we could talk.” The voice becomes little more serious, like a parent preaching the dangers of smoking to it’s child, “And we’d not like that, would we Scarran?”

“Yeah, yeah, you’ve made your point. Man the cannon won’t you, old Bink said he saw something move in the fog. It’s probably nothing, you know how he is, we can all remember the incident last year.”

“Yeah, we lost a lot of good men then.”

“It’s hard to trust his eyesight after that ye know, but I’m not taking any chances after yesterday. I’m going down to the kitchen to get mister Grunt something to eat now, I can trust you.” That last part wasn’t really a question.

Stickler hears the whiny voiced character leaving. Stickler sneaks a peek over the boxes and sees a rather stupid looking orc wearing studded leather which holds a war hammer in one hand. He seems to be counting the fingers of the other hand out loud. “One, two, three... erm... four and... eh... six... no that’s not right... five! Yup, that’s it! I wonder how many my other hand has...”

When Stickler tries to signal Incognito and Kurk, the orc spots him. “Who’s dat?!” With a large swing the orc demolishes the box Stickler is hiding behind. Now exposed, Stickler calls for help. the orc takes another swing at Stickler, which he just barely dodges. Kurk comes to the rescue and with two shots from his pistols he kills the orc who falls onto the boxes with a loud crash.

Kurk gives Stickler a good kick in the behind for messing up.

The noise did not go unnoticed and a pair of thugs come running from around the corner. When they see the capes they scream for help before they attack. One thug gets a quick death by a shot from Incognito’s pistol while the other’s right arm gets chopped off by Kurk, followed by his skull being crushed.

The Capes throw their grenades at the big cannon and run for shelter. The cannon goes up in neat blue thunderstone flames.

Picture of Scarran the Gnome
scarran.jpg

Grunt arrives at the scene followed by a scruffy looking gnome and a brigade of thugs. Grunt screams some orders at the gnome calling him ‘Scarran’. Obviously the gnome is the bearer of the squeeky voice. Just as the legion of thugs seems ready to attack the capes, the other cannon goes up in flames followed by a loud ‘BOOM’. The City Guard aircruiser sails into view out of the mists and soon waves of red capes crash into the pirate army. After a lenghty fight the capes come out victorious.

But Grunt along with a large portion of the army escape through a secret way out. When the capes finally find the way, all the pirates have gone, appearantly sailed away on another aircruiser which was docked inside a cave on the other side of the mountain. Also, there seems to be no traces of the loot, the many shipments of thunderstone that were stolen.

But one the of thugs that got arrested was Scarran, the scruffy looking gnome. When interrogated he cannot say where Grunt went or what he did with the loot, but he can tell of some mysterious hooded fellow Grunt seems to be spending a lot of time with. He cannot give a good description of the man, other that he spoke with a Serpent City accent.

So, the capes sail back home to Serpent City after a job well done although somewhat disappointed with the results and unsettled by the mystery of this new unknown character.

Last edited:

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I liked it too. I just didn't really like the writing.

I mean, I was kinda shocked when I reread it, I thought it was much better.

I was like: "Hey! Who messed with my Story Hour!!"

I just wanted it to be BETTER!! :D

Anyway, I had already decided to change the storytelling style a bit, so why not rewrite what I had already done. I'm unemployed right now and I have WAY too much time on my hands. Y'know, I'd never think I'd actually get bored of watching Buffy tapes. :eek:

I think you may have taken the first post as bit harsher than it was meant.

Note to self: Use more smilies.

Last edited:

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Session Two: "Big Trouble in Little Gromnburg"

Someone has been going on a killing spree down in the lower wards. He claims to be a professional witch-hunter, bent on freeing the empire of the witch pest. The ones who have been killed until now have mostly been fortune tellers, the mentally ill, immigrants from faraway lands and other people who have stood out in any way. Usually the City Guard doesn’t meddle in the affairs of the lower wards as the locals don’t care for their help (or anybody else’s) but the last victim was the apprentice of a very influential Calharian wizard who was in the city for business with the Merchant Guild. Therefore it is now the business of the red capes. Sergeant Carp sends the PCs to investigate the matter.

While everybody the PCs interrogate seems to be ready to tell them that that the killer is “A bloody nutcase!” or “A wacko, missing some serious screws!”, nobody is prepared to tell them anything of any importance. One of the major unwritten rules of this part of town is ‘That nobody talk to the capes!’. The only valuable information the capes can get is that the killer is a Gromnburgian

Gromnburg is a small and until recently, very isolated society located west of Shadow Mountains. They are highly religious and very superstitious. Witch hunting and burning is a national pass time. They were aware of the outside world, but it was of no importance to them. Evil and sinful lands, all of it, one of those dreadful things that happened to other people. During the rebellion against the Kentaari Empire Gromnburg was the only colony that sided with the Empire. The Gromnburg high priests even identified Emperor Aramach as one who had been blessed by God and joined him in his crusade against the rebels.

The people of Gromnburg expected Aramach to rid the lands of witchcraft, but much to their dismay they discovered that the Emperor did in fact have some very good spellcaster friends and just laughed at such foolish ideas. The people of Gromnburg felt that they had been tricked and went back to their lands in shame. It wasn’t until about a decade ago that they were forced to return to the outside world after a natural disaster made a big lump of the country uninhabitable. It was all the fault of the witches, they say.

Last edited:

I'm sorry to say I didn't catch the story first time round, but I'm certainly pleased that I've read this one through.

The Steampunk setting is fantastic - I've wanted to see what (and if) a steampunk campaign would run like... if your stuff is anything to go by, then it works pretty well. :)

Looking forward to more!

Viking Bastard

Adventurer

When one needs to find someone native to Gromnburg, one always talks to Leeta Townsbuckle who knows every Gromnburgian in town. Leeta is a big woman. Not only physically, but in thought and attitude. When the Gromnburgians started flooding into Serpent City all needing jobs that just weren’t there she started her own business. ‘Leeta and Co.’ makes everything from clothes to cheap furniture and even weapons. Everything she manufactures is made by hand by Gromnburgians. She even runs a very successful ‘escort’ service. Some would say she ‘uses’ the poor saps but she would say herself that she ‘exploits’ them. She says it sounds more classy.

Picture of Leeta Townsbuckle
leeta.gif

The capes find Leeta paying salaries to her workers in front of one of her businesses down in the lower wards. After some interrogation Leeta admits to know who the killer is but ain’t prepared to give the identity away just like that. Although the “witch-hunter” is a fruitcake he never harmed her or any of her people. Just some lowlifes that deserved to die anyway. She is on the other hand ready to give the information in exchange for something else. When the PCs offer her money, she shakes her head. “Ya have a problem, we have a problem.” she explain and tells them of some dweeb that has been preying on some of her girls.

“Weird guy, unnatural.” She says, “I sent some of the guys to whack him, but he easily kicked the crap out of them. Tore one’s head clear off. Yer all are trained to deal with this kinda crap ain’t ya? If ye want to know where to find the witch hunter, ye find this sod first! He keeps out in the ole’ church over in the Gromnburg district.”

Intrigued, the capes head out to the Gromnburg district.

When the immigrants from Gromnburg first arrived they took over an practically abandoned part of town formerly known as the Burnt District (originally it was known as the Harrgard district as the Gnomes of Harrgard ran a gunpowder factory there, but after a rather nasty accident involving one of the factory workers, a hot cup of coffee and a torch, the factory blew up and took the whole district with it. After that it became the home of all the homeless people that even the scum of the other Lower Wards didn’t want). The Gromnburgians started by burning all the bums, beggars and other homeless people and then they tore the whole district down and rebuilt it. Now, Little Gromnburg is probably the cleanest place of the lower wards. It’s also the only part of the city that’s built out of wood in any real volume, the Gromnburgians believe that the black stone that the rest of the city is built from is the sign of the corruption of the devil.

The old church is the only building that the Little Gromnburg locals didn’t tear down, seeing that even if it was built by the corrupt foreigners it was still the house of God. They don’t use it though, and built their own church a couple of blocks away.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases