The Gamers 2E: Dorkness Rising Review (No Spoilers)

Meloncov

First Post
I got to see the Gamers 2E at GenCon this year. I went in with very high expectations; I've been following its preduction since it was first announced, and was the first member of the general public to see footage from it. Though the film had a few effects problems (which will be cleaned up before it is released on DVD) and some awkward pacing (which hopefully will also be corrected) it still exceeded my highest expectations.

A more detailed breakdown:

Humor Dorkness Rising manages to maintain the level of hilarity as the orginal. The jokes are a bit more spread out due to the more complicated plot and longer length, so it has a somewhat fewer laughs per minute. However, it more than makes up for this through the hilarity of the most humorous moments and the added sophistication of some of the humor. Dorkness maintains the Gamers stratiforward jabs at our hobby, but also adds in more jokes relating to gamer culture (chain mail bikinis, pathetic bards, pirates and ninjas, ect.) and more references to fantasy and sci-fi literature and movies (Nodwick, the Mutant Enemy zombie, various Star Wars, ect.).

Plot While the plot of The Gamers was little more than a vehicle to carry the jokes, Dorkness Rising has a far more complex and more satisfying plot. The PC's are better developed (with the exception of the power gamer's, who never shows any personality), but more noticably, the players are given lives and relationships outside of the game.

Acting The acting in Dorkness was noticibly better than that in its predescessor. None of the actors really shone in their roles, but I noticed no points where the acting detracted in any way from the movie.

Effects Dorkness keeps the same campy-feel with its effects as its predessesor did. However, throughout the movie things looked cleaner, better lit, and more natural.

Summary Awesome movie that managed to improve uppon its predecessor.

Klaus

First Post
I too watched this movie at GenCon, and I havent's seen the original yet. I was very surprised by the quality of it, and the movie included several LOL moments and quite a few lines that are bound to find their way to gaming tables everywhere.

Word has it that the Dead Gentlemen are aiming at a theatrical release for this bad boy.

Remove ads