How do I roleplay 'creepy?'

Asmor

First Post
Ok, it's actually a bit more specific than that. I've got my first RPGA game on Saturday, I'm playing a Warforged named Nator (He's inspired by the terminators ;)) who's a member of the cabal of shadows (essentially, the evil d00ds).

As I said, he's inspired by the terminators. No value for human life at all, or any life for that matter. He doesn't even have any particular affinity for other constructs, except insofar as they're not as inherently weak as fleshbags. Basically, all he respects is power, and he only respects it as long as doing so is beneficial to him in his quest for more of it (this is my "reason not to kill the rest of the party in their sleep" clause).

I don't want to portray him as some raving lunatic, though. I want him to be cool and collected and alien. I'm not really sure how to describe it... Subtly menacing without making overt threats, detached and precise in his slaughter and goremongering (is that a word? Goremongering? Well, it is now!).

Any suggestions on mannerisms, quotes, actions, etc to help me get accross a creepy, menacing feeling?

I'm hoping there might be a chance for a torture scene... ;)

The Levitator

First Post
It sounds like Pinhead could be a good model for this character. Overconfident, uncaring for those unlike him but with a sense of balance and retribution. And he's all about the power (or at least falunting his). He speaks eloquently but unemotionally, and is convinced of his position and purpose. At least that's how I see him, but I admit to not being a Hellraiser Junkie or anything. Someone with a greater interest in the Hellraiser movies could probably give a more elaborate comparison.

Dave Turner

First Post
Rent and watch American Psycho: The Director's Cut. Creepy and menacing is too hard to pull off. Sociopathic freak, on the other hand, is more doable. ;)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'd go another direction: Make him a ruthless businessman. There's no reason to have sympathy for anyone, it's all about what they can do for HIM. Granted, a lot of PCs behave this way, but you won't be trying to rationalize that your character is actually a good guy. ;)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
When someone asks a question, look at them right away with no expression but mentally count to five before you answer. Make sure to answer even if they have begun talking again.

Asmor

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I'd go another direction: Make him a ruthless businessman. There's no reason to have sympathy for anyone, it's all about what they can do for HIM. Granted, a lot of PCs behave this way, but you won't be trying to rationalize that your character is actually a good guy. ;)

Hmm... That's not a half-bad idea.

"The human body has 206 bones. I predict it will require 5 punches and 35 stomps to crush every last one of them. What do you offer me to avoid this fate?"

the levitator said:
It sounds like Pinhead could be a good model for this character. Overconfident, uncaring for those unlike him but with a sense of balance and retribution. And he's all about the power (or at least falunting his). He speaks eloquently but unemotionally, and is convinced of his position and purpose. At least that's how I see him, but I admit to not being a Hellraiser Junkie or anything. Someone with a greater interest in the Hellraiser movies could probably give a more elaborate comparison.

Unfortunately, I've never seen Hellraiser. :/ It does sound like a perfect rolemodel, though!

Agent Oracle said:
Pattern your speech after a combination of HK-47 and, your inspiration

Example:

"Statement: Give me your clothes, meatbag."

"Query: Where is Sarah Connor?"

"Catchphrase: I'll Be Back."

I'd actually thought of something along those lines already, but I think it would come off as a bit too sci-fi and/or hokey. I'm going for something a little more believable and a little less comic relief. Appreciate the idea, though!

Asmor

First Post
Mark CMG said:
When someone asks a question, look at them right away with no expression but mentally count to five before you answer. Make sure to answer even if they have begun talking again.

I like that. Thanks!

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Mark CMG said:

I was going to suggest talking to the air just above the left shoulder of whomever he/she/it is speaking to. The five second pause also works well.

Have him refer to whomever he is speaking to as 'it', never by name or even the pronoun 'you' (it puts the lotion on its skin).

When he pust something into negative hit points always take that extra time to administer a coupe de gras, perhaps giving a small smile as the target dies.

Constantly rotate your head from right to left and back, when speaking to someone finish the rotation, then bring your gaze back. (Think the gaze of the original cylons on Battlestar Galactica.) Do dot move the rest of your body unless doing something.

Never seem upset. Stay calm. Never smile at anything actually amusing.

The Auld Grump, I am very sorry Dave, I can't let you do that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases