OOC: Equivalent Exchange--Can Take one More for Psiren

Rystil Arden

First Post
Hi, I'm recruiting up to 6 players for my game, Equivalent Exchange.

It takes place in the word of Fullmetal Alchemist (the show, not the books), after the end of the final episode, but ignoring the movie and everything in it. If you've never seen the show through to the end, this game will be a bit of a spoiler, and you probably don't even want to continue onward here to my list of characters and info if you don't want the spoiler.

Still with me? Great! The game takes place 6 years after the final episode, Laws and Promises. I do have a few changes from the typical FMA continuity and timeline in the show--Lust was sealed and stripped of her powers by Wrath using Al, but she was not killed. Instead, he taunted her with turning her into a weak human like she wanted, and so now she still roams the land as a traveling alchemist. Envy did *not* follow Ed into the gateway. Of course, nobody in the group except one person saw either of these things happen. Also, I'm timing the events from the show a bit differently in pacing so that Elysia is now 16. Otherwise, we follow the continuity from the show pretty-much entirely (remember though--I'm ignoring the movie).

It has been six years since Ed vanished forever. During that time, the world has been changing. Roy Mustang is the new fuhrer, and he is trying to herald in a new era of peace, although the military's enemies from Bradley's time are many, and they have seen this new policy and the civil war that led to it as a sign of weakness, so one can never be sure when or if they may strike. Alphonse Elric, a young man with a dream, longs to see his brother again, the brother who he knows deep within his soul has given up his life to save him, even though the memories have faded...

The current characters under consideration are Alphonse Elric, Rose Thomas, Clara/Psiren, Selim Bradley, Elysia Hughes, and Lust. I might also do Fletcher Tringham if someone is very interested in playing him over the others.

Some housekeeping details:

First, the game will be run using Mutants and Masterminds rules. However, I'm going to help out by doing the heavy lifting with the rules and build these guys, so absolutely no knowledge of the system is required (unless you play Elysia, probably). It's very similar to normal d20 (and even simpler except character creation) to the point that you'll be fine.

Second, I'll be weaving in interesting complications and intrigue to make for an interesting storyline and world in which to interact. There is also some level of secrecy, and in lieu of my usual favourites, SBLOCKs, I think this time I'll go with PMs and e-mails to keep the main adventure thread nice and happy looking.

Third, some of these characters have extra information that won't appear on the 'official' character sheet online. Sometimes this involves extra Alchemy or other abilities, and sometimes it involves roleplaying hooks and ways to earn special Hero Points to use during the adventure. I'll keep these secret by PMing or e-mailing them to the player of each character. To ensure that players get characters they all are excited to play, I'm going to ask applicants to fill out some quick questions (such as "Are there any characters you are *really* excited to play? If so, which characters?" "Would you prefer/hate to play a goody-two-shoes character?" "Do you know the Mutants and Masterminds ruleset") When I assemble them, you can PM them to me or e-mail them to me (if you post them here, then everyone can see your answers, which might not be for the best)

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Alright, here's the character questionnaire--answer this via PM or e-mail (I'm rystilarden on my gmail account), but not on this thread:

For the following questions, list names (and write comments if you'd like--they're helpful)

1) Are there any characters that you are really excited to play? If so, list them in order of preference

2) Are there any characters that you really don't want to play? If so, list them and perhaps give a brief word as to why (they might not be exactly what you expect)

For the following questions, rate on a scale of 1 to 5 (and write comments if you'd like--they're helpful).
1--Absolutely wouldn't like
2--Sort of wouldn't like
3--Don't really care
4--Sort of would like
5--Absolutely would like

3) Would you enjoy playing a character who is a 'goody-two-shoes'? (for instance, Al)

4) Would you enjoy playing a character who is a bit dark and/or morally ambiguous?

5) Would you like to play someone who uses Alchemy routinely?

6) Would you like to play someone who is great at mixing it up in direct combat?

7) Would you like to play someone who focuses on social skills?

8) Would you like to play someone who focuses on investigative skills?

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Got my first e-mail response--thanks! I don't know for sure who sent it, but I can guess based on previous comments in the other thread.

Oh, and I realised I should provide a scale for the 1 to 5 rating so we all have a common grounding--maybe something like this:

1--Absolutely wouldn't like
2--Sort of wouldn't like
3--Don't really care
4--Sort of would like
5--Absolutely would like

Feel free to change the numbers based on this if you were thinking something else!

Dire Lemming

First Post
Well I did just send mine, but it would be pretty obvious it was me so maybe you got someone else's first.

Yeah, I figured one was the lowest and five was the highest, I don't know why, it just seemed right. :p

Rystil Arden

First Post
Dire Lemming said:
Well I did just send mine, but it would be pretty obvious it was me so maybe you got someone else's first.

Yeah, I figured one was the lowest and five was the highest, I don't know why, it just seemed right. :p
It was yours, then. It answered the questions similarly to how I thought you would, but I couldn't discount the slim chance that it was somebody who never posted and just sent an e-mail ;)

Remove ads