Nautical Game: Seas of Blood or Stormwrack?

Henrix

Explorer
Not Seas of Blood. Stormwrack is pretty good, but doesn't have that much about ships. Adamant's Corsair has a lot about ships and sailing.

Psion

Adventurer
Both.

Seas of Blood has a very usable ship definition, deckplans, and nautical combat system.

Stormwrack is more solid/traditional when it comes to chargen, and has some good sample encounters/adventrues for GMs.

Kunimatyu

First Post
If by 'nautical' you mean 'actually tracking detailed ship movements' then Stormwrack won't help much. For everything else, though, it's great.

Hussar

Legend
Broadsides!! by Living Imagination has one of the most detailed ship combat rulesets I've seen for d20. To be fair though, I've heard good things about Corsair as well.

kengar

First Post
Hmmm, okay, let me clarify my situation a little.

I'm (hopefully) going to be starting a new campaign (3.5) where the setting is heavily seafaring. The main human kingdom is an archipelago and the nearest large continent is several weeks' sailing away. Elves live at sea (their Atlantis-like island sank/blew up, and now they are wanderers).

There aren't any aquatic PC races or anything like that (pretty much just core rules). I need some decent rules for types of ships, travel by sea, sea combat, and the sailing/running of a ship. Stuff like new crunch (feats, skills, spells, etc.) is not so important.

The_Universe

First Post
kengar said:
Hmmm, okay, let me clarify my situation a little.

I'm (hopefully) going to be starting a new campaign (3.5) where the setting is heavily seafaring. The main human kingdom is an archipelago and the nearest large continent is several weeks' sailing away. Elves live at sea (their Atlantis-like island sank/blew up, and now they are wanderers).

There aren't any aquatic PC races or anything like that (pretty much just core rules). I need some decent rules for types of ships, travel by sea, sea combat, and the sailing/running of a ship. Stuff like new crunch (feats, skills, spells, etc.) is not so important.
I'd say Stormwrack is definitely closer to what you're talking about then Seas of Blood. I've had both books since they came out (which means I've had Seas of Blood for some time), and while I have used several things from Stormwrack, I've never used anything but deckplans from Seas of Blood.

That said, Seas of Blood definitely has a more "fantastical" feel than does Stormwrack. If you want Carracks, Galleons, and other basic earth-based ships, this is your book. If, on the other hand, you want giant floating dwarven cities plying your sealanes, you should probably turn your attention to Seas of Blood.

Hussar

Legend

Broadsides!! is a good book for you then. It has a small amount of new crunch, but the large portion of the book is the ships and ship combat. Add in Pirates, also by LI, and you've got all the rules you need for seafaring.

Remove ads