ENnies voting booth now open!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The ENies voting booth just opened:

http://www.enworld.org/booth.htm

It has some fairly draconian security measures - whatever you do, don't start voting until you are sure of your votes - you won't be able to re-enter once you have entered!

Please make sure you read the instructions first. You only get one chance!

Now, go vote! :)

I can't vote!!!!

Morrus, there seems to be a problem.

I got as far as answering the first question. Then I got booted by the system, which told me that records indicate I'd already voted.

I hadn't already voted. I'd never before entered the booth. I'm not on a network. And nobody else uses my computer.

I realize it's probably too late for me, since I understand you can't alter the system for one person. But maybe you can help me figure out what happened, so other people don't get similarly--if you'll pardo the term--shafted?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Hmmm, I'm blocked as well. I tried to enter the booth and it told me I already voted - but I guarantee that no one from this IP address has voted yet. Might there be a problem?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The votes are flooding in, so it all seems to be working OK. I'm no expert on IP addresses, but isn't it possible for more than once computer to share an IP?

I think what we're seeing here is the effect of stringent security. Unfortunately, it means that some legitimate voters can't enter the booth - but the alternative is a booth open to abuse/ballot stuffing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Morrus said:
The votes are flooding in, so it all seems to be working OK. I'm no expert on IP addresses, but isn't it possible for more than once computer to share an IP?

There are a couple of ways to effectively have two computers seem to have the same IP for this voting:
1)be on the same private network, accessing the internet through the same router/Network Address Translation box.
2)Both users using the same ISP that gives dynamically allocated IPs, and have it reallocate an IP used by one member to another. This would be extremely rare.

I can't think of too many others.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases