Shifter homes and professions

tecnowraith

First Post
I have been wandering about shifters. Would Shifters pick homes near bodies of water like a like, or an ocean? Also would they choose to a life to travel on ships as a sailor, sea or air?

frankthedm

First Post
Lycanthrope heritage usually does not include aquatic forms so the blood would not encorage or discourage living near water. Without a alternate transport system, people live near water for the convienence / nessesity.

I picture shifters having violent tempers though so I could picture then choosing homes and jobs where they could be left mostly alone.

Klaus

First Post
tecnowraith said:
I have been wandering about shifters. Would Shifters pick homes near bodies of water like a like, or an ocean? Also would they choose to a life to travel on ships as a sailor, sea or air?
Why not? There's a whole line of shifters that have Swim speeds (Truedive) or Fly speeds (Glidewing, iirc). They're dolphin/shark or bat-descended.

For more on the personality of shifters, see Races of Eberron. They're always ready for the Journey Yet To Come.

Sejs

First Post
Depends on the individual, but there's no reason why they wouldn't. Shifters are a very physically oriented people, so most occupations that center around the water would suit them just fine. Plus they tend to roam around a lot, which also fits a life at sea.

tecnowraith

First Post
Yeah i see what you mean now after reading about Journey Yet To Come. My other question is what is the point for the Shifter trait Dreamsight? It really does not help a druid or any other Wisdom based caster in the long run.

Klaus

First Post
tecnowraith said:
Yeah i see what you mean now after reading about Journey Yet To Come. My other question is what is the point for the Shifter trait Dreamsight? It really does not help a druid or any other Wisdom based caster in the long run.
... until you get Dreamsight Elite and the ability to See Invisibility when you shift.

And that's not taking into account that you gain +2 Wis while you shift, if that's your primary trait. How is that not helpful?

tecnowraith

First Post
Klaus said:
... until you get Dreamsight Elite and the ability to See Invisibility when you shift.

And that's not taking into account that you gain +2 Wis while you shift, if that's your primary trait. How is that not helpful?

Yeah but how would +2 Wis be helpful to a druid for only only a few a rounds sense the Wis is closely related to spellcasting?

FalcWP

Explorer
Well, for a Druid, it'd be +1 to the DC of their spells, which is a nice boost. Also, while I can't seem to find anything that allows or disallows it, I don't think it'd be too game-breaking to say that you can spontaneously cast a summon nature's ally spell from an unfilled slot. So, a 7th level Shifter Druid goes from a 16 Wisdom to an 18, he would get a bonus 4th level slot, and could use Summon Nature's Ally IV. Now, like I said, I can't seem to find any rules one way or the other on that, but it'd be worth looking into.

Klaus

First Post
tecnowraith said:
Yeah but how would +2 Wis be helpful to a druid for only only a few a rounds sense the Wis is closely related to spellcasting?
+1 DC of spell saves, +1 to Will saves, +1 to Spot, Listen, Survival. If the character is a Monk, +1 to AC.

Also, a dreamsight druid is tempted to take the Moonspeaker PrClass. One of the class' features makes the ability modifier of your primary trait permanent, so the dreamsight would get +2 Wis permanently.

Remove ads