New Game: Arcana Evolved!

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Tips, tricks, cool ideas? (This time I get to be a player.)

I'm thinking of playing either a Dracha Akashic -> Champion of Knowledge -> Evolved Dracha (all six levels), or a Verrik Greenbond.

However... Loresong Magister has a certain charm to it. (Especially those tasty Evolved levels. Mmm! Tasty!)

Anyway. What are your experiences with this cool system?

Cheers, -- N

Crothian

First Post
Turanil said:

Because it is fun, interesting, versatile, and can be great inside and outside of combat. It is also very original and creative. It has a solid concept and great mechanics that back up that concept perfectly. I've seen one played from first to well above 20th and the class remained just as good the whole way through.

Baron Opal

First Post
Any class that allows you to customize your memories to fit the situation is cool. This one even does it well mechanically. It is a popular class in my games, tying the warmain in popularity.

Not only is it fun for the players, but it is also convienient for me as the DM as I can use the akashic's delving to seed plot hooks and information. It is an easy way for me to sneak in the campaign specific flavored information.

Turanil

First Post
Crothian said:
Because it is fun, interesting, versatile, and can be great inside and outside of combat. It is also very original and creative. It has a solid concept and great mechanics that back up that concept perfectly. I've seen one played from first to well above 20th and the class remained just as good the whole way through.
Well, I hope I am not too much hijacking the thread, but could you tell me which of the Akashic features in particular, made that class so good?

I ask because I have been considering converting it to Castles & Crusades ruleset, but I don't know exactly which features to choose, because C&c implies a simplification of the class. Thanks.

Crothian

First Post
Turanil said:
Well, I hope I am not too much hijacking the thread, but could you tell me which of the Akashic features in particular, made that class so good?

It's the whole package not just one or two key abilities.

Robert Ranting

First Post
I've pretty much played nothing but Arcana Unearthed/Evolved since about 2003, so this is my kinda topic :).

My suggestions:

1.) Multiclassing is tempting, but you really have to consider what you might be giving up at higher levels. For instance, one of the Champion of Knowledge's coolest abilities comes at 15th level, so you have to consider how long this campaign is going to last, what level it's going to start, and if any of the high-level abilties appeal to you. This is mostly dependent on the rest of your group, of course.

2.) Dracha make decent Champions, provided that the class abilities of the Cause don't rely upon Charisma. Knowledge is definately a good choice.

3.) Taking all six Dracha racial levels is tempting, but in my experience, those levels completely define the character. Once you have perfect flight, a breath weapon, bite, and claw attacks, you're effectively a medium sized Dragon that happened to pick up some levels here or there. If you're a fighter-type this usually isn't a hindrance, but it can be crippling if your class has abilities dependent on your class level.

4.) Verrik Greenbonds...sigh. While mechanically strong, Greenbond is supposed to be the rarest class among the Verrik, and yet that +2 Wisdom means that it's one of the most common player concepts. If you decide to go with this, I'd advocate avoiding the tree-hugger stereotype and find some more esoteric and philosophical reason for a Verrik to choose the power of nature. IMC, the Greenbond eventually multiclassed with Akashic and took the Physician prestige class as he went from a mystical curiosity about nature to a more clinical, scientific analysis of what makes life tick. Mechanically, you might find some advantage in picking up a single level in a martial class to give you heavy armor and martial weapons, since your spells are all verbal-only. A Greenbond with a single level of Warmain can pretty well emulate the Cleric's Heavy-Armor-Healer routine. As a Verrik, remember that you get expanded access to complex psionic spells, which gives you a considerable ability to shut down individual foes.

5.) Having played a Loresong Faen Magister from levels 1-20, I can tell you that it's a very dynamic experience. Unlike a D&D Wizard, you can heal, and I've found that was my primary function at lower levels. It's not until you gain access to 3rd level spells that "Blast-it" Magic becomes practical, so expect to play a support role early on.

6.) As a spellcaster, Feats are your friends. Brandish Magical Might and Modify Spell are all considered "no brainer" feats for a spellcaster, although in practice, you can probably get by without them up till 10th level (at which point Quicken Spell becomes the real no-brainer, and spellcasting really hits it's stride). For me, Blessed Mage is also good for any spellcaster who finds himself in a healing role. Being able to cast healing spells at a 25' range is incredibly useful for alternating between healing and your other combat tactics without losing actions to move up to the wounded, and then back to safe spell-chucking range.

As a Greenbond, you more or less have Healing in the bag, so I would focus the rest of your spellcasting resources on spells that control the battlefield rather than blow things up. Muddy Ground + Eldritch Web will rapidly turn combat into a quagmire as every foe passing through the overlapping area of both spells must make balance checks to take any action, and any movement provokes a reflex save to avoid the web. Couple this with mind-affecting spells from your Verrik racial access, and you can effectively go about shutting down the enemy so that the rest of the party can pick them off. If your party lacks another caster, pick up Complex Spell level 3 for Flight, Invisibility, and Dispel Magic, and consider nabbing Complex 5 and 6 as well for Teleport and some other goodies. Elemental Mage is also not a terrible idea to pick up.

As a Magister, you pretty much have free reign with the entire spell system. If you're looking to expand your spell access, consider investing ranks in the appropriate knowledges and qualify for multiple Racial Templates, particularly Sibeccai, Dragon and Fey. (remember that Loresong evolved levels only give you access to the Fey template, not improved access to fey descriptor spells, which only comes from the feat.) If you want to be a sneaky, mind-affecting type, try Fey Mage, Psion, and Elemental Mage Air to make the most of being unseen. For a Blast-It Mage, try any combo of Energy Mage feats with Modify Spell, Brandish Magical Might, and perhaps Unraveling Mage. For a Buff-Mage or Abjurer, look into Sibeccai and Dragon mage. The sky is the limit when you already have complex spells, and so many exotic spells are just a feat away.

In any case, I hope this helps.

Robert "Addicted to AE" Ranting

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Mr Ranting, thanks for your detailed reply!

I gotta say the mechanics (+2 Wisdom, access to Psi spells) are the primary driver behind my desire for a Verrik Greenbond. It's also nice to have an excuse to be in an outcast kinda group -- working for a Dragon. :]

Greenbond looks like a class I'd want to take all the way through. The complex Psi spells are a nice addition, but I'd probably want more spell access: at least one energy type (Acid? Electricity?) and maybe Faen as well. Blessed sounds like a good idea (albeit an obvious one).

Let me lay out my ideas for the Dracha, for your perusal.

1/ He'd take Born Leader, with a minor house-rule: instead of granting a bonus to his Compulsion spells, it gives him Diplomacy as a class skill for all classes. This is primarily to help with his racial and evolved levels.

2/ I'd like him to be a primary fighter with some social skills. Thus, I'm considering Akashic for his first level, and Champion of Knowledge for his second, so that he can dabble in a lot of skills but also have some reasonable combat prowess. I could start Dracha racial levels any time after that (and keep adding Akashic and Champion levels as needed). I wouldn't mind taking two levels of Totem Warrior (Snake) or one level of Warmain just for the mechanical boost, either. I'm not above cheese-dipping. :D

3/ I really like the 5th level Champion of Knowledge ability (Int to damage) particularly when combined with pounce. So I'd like to work that in somehow.

On to other topics...

I don't see much reason to remain in Magister after 6th level. Mage-Priest is a super-cool PrC (but not open to Faen, more's the pity). Loremaster is nice. Evolved levels? Oh yes please! I think my perfect path would be:
Loresong Faen Magister 6 / Evolved Loresong 3 / (Spryte feat) / Loremaster 10

Another perfect path would be:
Human Magister 6 / Evolved Human 3 / Mage-Priest of Erixalimer 10 ("bond with entity" indeed!)

Hawk Totem Warrior looks really fun, too. It's too bad they don't allow you & your hawk-mate to stay Small sized if you wish. Sure it might be nice to be a Large hawk for some combats, but half the coolness of the Hawk Totem power set is stealthy recon.

Anyone play one of these guys? Any advice beyond the obvious ("focus on archery")?

Mageblade: What a cool concept! What a stinky spell list. :( This is a guy I'd want to take some racial template feats (Sibbecai is top of my list for 3rd level, Dragon a close second). Fire or Electricity look like nice choices, too -- all those Energy Creatures one could summon, plus the obvious attack spells.

I really like the Sibbecai template applied to self-buffs which already heave the [Si] descriptor.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads