New Game: Arcana Evolved!

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Oathsworn annoys me but you are right, there are things to like about it too.

Luke, I'm pretty sure people might like Runethanes more IF they had more runes to use. :)

Stalker0

Legend
I've dmed a game from 4th to 18th level, so I've seen AE through a good range.

1) If your playing a spellcaster, templates are the way to go. They really help define your flavor, and for nonmagister casters greatly beef up the number of spells you can cast.

2) As has been stated, complex 3rd is almost a prereq for a nonmagister caster. You get so many amazing spells at that level.

3) Mageblade is one of my favorite classes, as you can be a good fighter but still get to enjoy the AE magic system. Again, throw on a few template feats to get a good spell selection. Sibbecai is by far the best feat to take. Dragon is second:)

4) If you do play an evolved character, don't forget the free spell like ability you pick up!!

5) Most of the fighter classes are pretty good. I did some houserules on the champion and oathsworn (I found them both a little weak), but the warmain and ritual warrior are awesome.

6) If your a nonritual warrior pick up ritual combat. Combat rites are so flexible, and a lot of fun to boot!!

7) Don't play a runethane unless your dm allows you custom runes. The runes in the book are very bland:( Use the guidelines given in the book to create fun runes. Runes can emulate ANY spell of a certain level by the guidelines, use them to emulate some exotic spells that are very rare.

Nightfall

Stalker,

I like the dragon spell template better meself. But again, matter of opinion obviously.

Some good notes though and you are right, spell templates are most definitely the way to go when you're able to cast spells.

Warmain is what a fighter truly SHOULD be like. If nothing else, compared to say Warblade, Warmain out classes it by far. Champion isn't weak just needs more options in my mind. But you are right about Oathsworn.

And you are 100% right, DMs need to hand out custom runes cause the ones in the book...don't cut it.

Driddle,

Easy there cowboy. ;)

Robert Ranting

First Post
Nifft,

In two years of AE, I have yet to see a PC Greenbond who didn't multiclass, so if you want to go straight through for 20-25 levels, more power to you. I've just noted that the grab for armor and weapon proficiencies (and even skills or combat rites) has been very tempting for my local group, and figured I'd toss it out as a suggestion. Mystic Secrets, Transcendence, and the Spell Treasury supplements for AE also have a lot of nice things for Greenbonds.

As for the Dracha...

1) Diplomacy as a permanent class skill is a nice house rule, although in the case of spellcasters, I might let them choose one benefit or the other so as not to imbalance it.

2) My suggestion is to limit your multiclassing unless you think the game won't survive beyond 10th level. Both Akashic x/ Dracha 6 and Champ of Knowledge x/Dracha 6 will be solid multiclassed builds. Adding a third class could cripple the Champion of Knowledge build entirely, whereas the Akashic build might gain benefit from multiclassing with Totem Warrior, Unfettered, or Warmain. Your key ability scores are going to be Int and Con. I reccommend a High Con Akashic build, and a High Int Champion build, since either one will yield you serviceable HP and decent skills (remember, C.o.K's get 4 +int skillpoints unlike other champions). Since you're a Dracha, don't worry about Climb, Jump, and Ride ranks, since you'll have a good Strength and eventually flight, which will make those superfluous. If you're DM is allowing that Born Leader variant, then you should just focus on keeping Diplomacy maxed out, and not worry about Bluff, since Dracha are, by the book, a little straightforward and naive, unused to concealing anything about themselves.

By way of RP advice, I'd say that both builds lend themselves to the idea of a Draconic Philosopher, a Scholar/Paragon, very much proud of his origins, and seeking to increase his understanding of what it means to be a Dragon. His taking racial and evolved levels is just an extension of this desire to be as Dragon-like as possible, to blur the line between himself and his creators/masters. While diplomatic, he should make it quite clear that he believes the Dragons to be rightful masters of Terakal, and that the Giants have broken the ancient treaty. Or perhaps, he has doubts about the treaty, which in turn makes him eager to seek proof of his master's claims, secretly afraid that perhaps the Giants might be right, and what affect that will have on all of Dragonkind (Dracha and Dragon alike). Maybe he's an advanced scout or researcher for a Draconic Master, sent out to investigate matters of Draconic importance (i.e. proving that such-and-such area was once part of his line's territory, and thus should be returned to him as his birthright/prior claim). Whatever the reason, he should be confident, intelligent, and powerful, while having some quirk of his Dracha mentality that holds him back from being the Great Leader he's supposed to be.

Robert "The Other Guys Are Throwing Out Some Good Ideas Too" Ranting

lukelightning

First Post
Nightfall said:
Luke, I'm pretty sure people might like Runethanes more IF they had more runes to use. :)

And if the password option was lower level. Otherwise combat is like this: scribe a rune on the ground, hoping an enemy steps in the square. The enemy sees you do that and avoids the square. Repeat.

Sure, there are all sorts of sneaky things to do (trap an area before the enemy arrives), but often they are situational or not practical in combat.

Nebulous

Legend
I play a newly 6th level verrik magister, and i made the character decision from the getgo to ban the Positive Energy descriptor from my spell lists. My character focuses on psionic magic and feats, and although it has caused some quibbles in the group (why can't you heal me? It's says so right here you have battle wounds!) i'm glad i did it. I have some balancing bonuses, and i feel like my character is more unique. The DM was fine with it, and liked the idea too. Now we just need a decent greenbond in the group to heal us...

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Nightfall said:
Champion isn't weak just needs more options in my mind. But you are right about Oathsworn.

See, I feel like Champions have plenty of options (in that you can picik the type of Champion you want to be). I just find some of their powers wanting. Enhancement bonuses for Call Upon the Power and beefier version (Take on the Mantle?) when everyone else can take magical items that permanently enhance their ability scores. Any champion that takes an ability boosted item by the RAW gets far less out of their class abilities.

Of course, Craft Constant Item has something like a 12+ caster level, so one could argue that permanent items like that should be quite rare.

Having never player a Champion, I'm not really sure how they stack up to the other classes. I think Stalker posted his house rules for the class a while ago, but I don't remember what they were.

Stalker0

Legend
Yeah, I'm not saying the champion can't kick butt, I'm just saying some of its abilities are weak.

My houserules were:

1) Call on the power is an unnamed bonus that stacks with other bonuses. I mean, what good champion is not going to get a +str and +con item?

2) You can call weapon and call shield together as a standard action. Originally I was going to let them be cast as a free action, but I went with the middle ground. In general, these abilities are not that good. Its a standard action to use, which at mid to high levels is out of the question in many fights. Its once per day. And, since a champion is going to have a magic sword and shield, they don't add that much bonus.

Nightfall

Luke,

Probably right about that. I mean it's like a rogue with craft (trap making) ranks. Where exactly does he know to make these traps beforehand so that it works effectively for him. But my problem came primarily from the runes themselves, not necessarily the trap part. But to each his own. (though again I agree with you about that password thing)

Stalker,

Some good ideas. I'll keep that in mind.

Good,

I can see your point, especially as Stalker highlighted to me. See to me they should be sacred or profane bonuses and therefore more stackable than enhancement bonuses.

Remove ads