• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Game: Arcana Evolved!

Nifft

Penguin Herder
There are some weak classes which I've stayed away from:
- some Champions
- Oathsworn
- Runethane
- Witch -- WHY don't they get spell access until 9th level?! That would be an EXCELLENT 1st level ability!

Ritual Warrior isn't going to make my list for a while -- not after seeing Tome of Battle. *sigh* Maneuvers are just so much cooler than Rites. And they go up to 9th level!

With respect to my Mageblade, I can easily see him picking up Complex Spells (3rd Level) for his 9th level Feat.

We can all agree on Sibbecai and Dragon template feats for the Mageblade gish. How about the best templates for a Magister? What grants the best / most Exotic spells?

Anyway -- more post tonight -- gotta run. :)

Thanks, -- N

Dr Simon

Explorer
lukelightning said:
And if the password option was lower level. Otherwise combat is like this: scribe a rune on the ground, hoping an enemy steps in the square. The enemy sees you do that and avoids the square. Repeat.

A common houserule seem to be to swap Empower Rune and Password around in the order in which you gain them.

DarkKestral

First Post
Dr Simon said:
A common houserule seem to be to swap Empower Rune and Password around in the order in which you gain them.

Yeah, it's almost universal, if you want to play a reasonably effective 'thane at low levels. (Runic Weaps help too, just... be careful in giving them out to high level 'thanes.)

Nifft said:
There are some weak classes which I've stayed away from:
- some Champions

Champions are one of the few classes left standing at the end of almost every battle. They are just out and out tough. They aren't substandard. They are just very plain. I think their appeal is to players who don't want to mess with lots of character abilities.

- Witch -- WHY don't they get spell access until 9th level?! That would be an EXCELLENT 1st level ability!

People would only take one level of witch because Spell Access is better than a feat.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Varianor Abroad said:
People would only take one level of witch because Spell Access is better than a feat.

... which would be fine. They'd get access to one descriptor for FIRST LEVEL SPELLS, just like they'd get access to first level Complex spells by taking a level of Magister. In trade, they would not advance their other spellcasting class.

Not a big deal, IMHO.

As to Champions, perhaps it is the blandness that makes me not like them. Champion of Knowledge and Champion of Magic are the only two who really jumped out at me as interesting.

Cheers, -- N

Nifft said:
They'd get access to one descriptor for FIRST LEVEL SPELLS, just like they'd get access to first level Complex spells by taking a level of Magister. In trade, they would not advance their other spellcasting class.

This is not the way I read that ability. Please see below. You can then multiclass into another spellcasting class and gain the benefits of better than a feat plus a witchery ability. Yes, you would be sucking up a level of spell-casting loss, but you can just use those spells for all the healing spells your friends in the party expect you to cast. ;)

The iron witch gains access to any spell with the earth descriptor....

The mind witch gains access to any spell with the psionic descriptor and enjoys use of the psionic spell template....

The sea witch gains access to any spell with the water descriptor and enjoys use of the water spell template....

The winter witch gains access to any spell with the cold descriptor and enjoys use of the cold spell template....

The wind witch gains access to any spell with the air descriptor and enjoys use of the air spell template....

The wood witch gains access to any spells with the plant descriptor and casts them at +2 caster levels....

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Nifft,

Eh maybe you can sort of use Tome of Battle's classes and template the remainder of the 5 into better effects. Glad to see someone else liking the fact that Mageblades can and do get complex spells and that it's worth blowing a feat.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Varianor Abroad said:
This is not the way I read that ability.

Well, you're just plain wrong. Here, take a look at the Magister:

Spells: A magister’s primary focus is casting spells. These characters have access to simple and complex spells.

So, you think that one level of Magister gives a Greenbond access to all Complex spells?

- - -

Even if you were right -- if the multiclassing rules for spellcasters were insane -- it would be silly to keep that rule while modifying the other.

- - -

Nightfall -- I don't think the ToB classes are at the same level of power as the AE classes. I think they'd totally overwhelm an AE game world, where no-one gets to do anything magical "all day" (at will). Especially in the hands of an evil munchkin like myself. :]

Thanks, -- N

Baron Opal

First Post
One multiclass I was interesting in was a mojh or giant akashic/oathsworn. It gives me that Bene Geseret feel. Although, one tweak I would like to consider is that akashic levels stack with oathsworn for BAB (both have medium BAB), unarmed damage and AC bonus. It return the akashic loses its knowledge of weapons, armor and shields. I'm not sure if it would be too powerful, it might take a feat to get that, belonging to the Society of Stalwart Thought, or something.

I really, really like the mojh. The whole concept of them intrigues me. I pretty much ignore the dracha in my game and use the AU version of mojh.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Nifft said:
Nightfall -- I don't think the ToB classes are at the same level of power as the AE classes. I think they'd totally overwhelm an AE game world, where no-one gets to do anything magical "all day" (at will). Especially in the hands of an evil munchkin like myself. :]

Thanks, -- N

Eh maybe in your mind. I dunno if I felt that way. I mean I running a low level SL game with a Thri-kreen Warblade (I took away his RHD and LA. I was bored. :p :) ) and so far he's barely dominated anything I've tossed their way. But then I've not had that many encounters so we'll see.

Remove ads