White Wolf - Yes or no?

quasidomestikat

First Post
So I'm surprised. I started this Vampire campaign, and went into it with expectations of mind-numbing angst, but to my surprise, it was pretty fun.
Of course, the general set-up of most WW systems are angsty...Vampire, Werewolf, Hunter...you'd probably expect them to attract angsty teenagers, not twenty-some year olds (At 18, I'm the youngest of the group, the rest are twenty-one and older).
Anyways, it was a fun night. Our Storyteller (my beloved older brother ^_~) did really good, and so far we've found no Ann Rice-esque whiny, angsty bitch vampires.
So Vampire: The Masquerade can be fun. Whoda thunk it?

Anyone else play WW?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I've played my share of campaigns in the system. I lean a lot more towards Mage than Vampire.

I think you massively underestimate the angst-desire of 20-somethings. Teens often don't have sufficient life-experience to do the real depths of angst. Be that as it may, "angst" is pretty broad, so you may be engaging in it and not notice :)

And apparently, Monte Cook's last big project seems to be "Monte Cook's World of Darkness". Which, by title, would make me guess that the angstiness will no longer be absent from d20 games :)

Last edited:

Umbran said:
And apparently, Monte Cook's last big project seems to be "Monte Cook's World of Darkness". Which, by title, would make me guess that the angstiness will no longer be absent from d20 games :)

Oh, I don't know. I think d20 WoD will bring its own dose of angst for both sides of the aisle :)

I've played WoD and had a lot of fun, but in small doses. One-shots and short campaigns could be pretty neat, but I didn't enjoy the attempts at longer stuff. Mage could be pretty damn cool, and the combinations could lead to some really interesting stuff. But I will confess that my early experiences with were pretty negative due to some of the aforementioned 'angsty' player-types.

Crothian

First Post
I run Changeling and have played lots of White Wolf games. Angst groups are just one part of the people who play these game. We never did a lot with angst and just had fun.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
It's all about who you play with.

I've watched the angsty WoD games in play and I've shuddered at how little fun I would have playing in them.

I've played in a four month long Sci-Fi campaign using the WoD rules and mostly loved it.

I've played in another Sci-Fi one-shot series and it has been as much fun as a Chow Yun Fat movie. With more explosions.

The rules system central to the various Worlds are Darkness is a solid little system. I have some issues with it but generally I enjoy it a lot. The general problems encountered with the system, as far as I know, are actually problems with the players. Something as common in d20 as it is in WoD.

Urizen

First Post
I haven't played the new version of WOD, but am open to giving it a shot.

I played the older edition for a while, didn't much like the storyteller system so it would be interesting to see how much of it has changed.

I'm not much into the whole angst vibe either. Back then our storyteller (or lack of one) wasn't very inventive, so that might have contributed to my distaste for the game system.

A D20 version may be interesting, but it's really gotta be good to capture the theme of the World of Darkness, which I really like (minus the angst of course).

Graf

Explorer
The new WW system (called nWoD or whatever) is solid. It’s similar to D20 in that it’s got attributes that combine with skills/feats to let you do things. To my mind the existence of feats and skills (which were originally called A Skills and B Skills when WotC was developing them) was the core system-evolution behind D20’s success. WW embraced and extended it making everything into a more solid extended system.
They also accepted the toolbox-approach that Wizards adopted for 3e. While I’m not keen on some of the random-toolbox books I’ve seen them deployed very well by people in their games.

WoD players have grown up. Much the same way that DnD players did. Interest in Gygaxian-insto-death-nener-nener-traps-and-monsters and Anxsty-proxies-for-my-inner-child has waned as people get into deeper into storytelling and successful campaigns and products define the space for the enrichment of all.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I always liked the settings and conceits, but not the mechanics...not so much the way things worked, but how poorly they worked across the various games.

I'd probably like playing the new stuff- I understand much of that has cleaned up- but I don't have anyone to play that with, so its low priority on my acquisition list.

Wombat

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
I always liked the settings and conceits, but not the mechanics...not so much the way things worked, but how poorly they worked across the various games.

I'm just the opposite -- I really like the system (it's easy to explain to new gamers, for example), but I dislike the setting immensely.

I rather liked Changeling and was sorry to see that dropped in the new edition; I simply cannot fathom playing a vampire -- leeches with two legs who act like mafiosos, and these are supposed to be the heroes, just doesn't pull me in.

Remove ads