My Documents mysteriously empty.

Roudi

First Post
The My Documents folder on this computer has suddenly gone from containing nearly 8 gigabytes of files (including product drafts, all my music, and all my gaming PDFs) to containing a single empty folder. Yet, my system is still showing the same amount of free space available on my hard drive as I had before these files went missing.

There are only three occurrences I can think of that might be the cause of this.

1) Windows performed a disk check at startup this morning. It has performed this disk check numerous times in the past without incident.

2) Windows told me there were updates available for download (three security updates, a malicious software removal update, and a security fix for Outlook Express). I authorized Windows to download the updates but the progress bar disappeared. It has yet to ask me to install the updates as Windows normally does.

3) The kittens walked across the keyboard. I heard the PC speaker beep once.

I am very troubled. I've lost a lot of very important work, and I also don't have any extra disk space to show for it. Ideas?

Firzair

First Post
If the disk reports the same amount of free space there are three possibilities:
1) you accidently deleted the files to the recycler. You could then restore them from there.
2) you logged in with another profile and now use a different MyDocuments-Folder.
3) you accidently move all files somewhere else on the disk. Use the Search-dialoge then (but I guess you already did this)

There's a good freeware PC Inspector File Recovery, I used it to retrieve deleted files from a digicam SD-card. I don't know if it is in english, though.

Greetings
Firzair

Thanee

First Post
It might be stupid, but did you check the windows trashcan already?

Did you perform a search for some filenames, that you know should be there, on your harddisk?

Just in case, you should not perform too many WRITE operations on the harddisk now (reading should be no problem), in case you need recovery to be done.

Bye
Thanee

Roudi

First Post
Hmm.

1) Recycling bin is empty.

2) There is only one profile on this system, and I'm in it.

3) Search isn't pulling up any of my files. I've searched for them by name, I've done general searches for all documents of a specific type and checked the paths on them, I've even searched for files modified as of the date this all happened. Nothing.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I had that happen to me once a few years ago. I was able to get them back (mostly) running scandisk, which evidently corrected a hard drive error of some sort.

Roudi

First Post
No, because my system is set to show hidden files. I've already double-checked that.

Running Scandisk now.

Roudi

First Post
Some progress...
The largest folder on my desktop is found.002, containing 15 gigs of .chk files. According to the internet, these are semi-recovered files from disk check operations. The folder was created around the same time that My Documents disappeared.

Now we are getting somewhere.

EDIT: Thanks to some free recovery software, I am now able to recover most of my files. Phew!

Thanks for your help, folks.

Last edited:

Remove ads