D&D (2024) 2024 needs to end 2014's passive aggressive efforts to remove magic items & other elements from d&d

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Absolutely. I agree with you that it wouldn't work well. But the point of Bounded Accuracy was that a particular DM could do it if they really wanted to and the numbers would allow for the attempt. But you are right that I don't think anyone actually would do that and that as I mentioned, most DMs would turn that 1000 villages vs 1 dragon into a narrative scenario where they narrate the villagers fight in the background while the "party vs dragon" fight is the one that actually gets played out at the table.
The game known as d&d needs to have monster & combat math/mechanics designed around the idea of a DM running the game with players playing PCs not "a particular dm" using d&d as a randomization engine for writing a novel .

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The game known as d&d needs to have monster & combat math/mechanics designed around the idea of a DM running the game with players playing PCs not "a particular dm" using d&d as a randomization engine for writing a novel .
Which it does. Even if you don't like how it goes about it.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Which it does. Even if you don't like how it goes about it.
can you point to any modules that involve running a combat between 1000 villagers vs 1 dragon? Preferably limit them to encounters that were enjoyable to play through. If not there is no reason for actual combat math & mechanics to be built for a scenario that nobody in their right mind would enjoy

Yaarel

He Mage
can you point to any modules that involve running a combat between 1000 villagers vs 1 dragon? Preferably limit them to encounters that were enjoyable to play through. If not there is no reason for actual combat math & mechanics to be built for a scenario that nobody in their right mind would enjoy
At higher tiers − 9-12, 13-16, 17-20 − I encourage players to think about leadership roles, including working in or founding a Wizard School, building a Fortress, a Thieves Guild, and so on. My own campaigns have a need for Mass Combat when the lower Tier students, rookies, and recruits, defend the home or even go on mission.

I am excited about the Bastion in concept, tho I agree its mechanics need to integrate much better with the normal mechanics of economy.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Sure. But the same way (general) you are allowed to comment on things you want changed, others are allowed to respond stating that the stuff (general) you are asking for probably aren't going to be.

So when someone asks "Why do posters always say X?"... that's the answer.
On an open forum all about how X should change, we're still required to meekly and specifically attest that the giant company that professes they're listening to us that we in no way expect to be listened to lest be be harassed into providing said attestation?

No, I don't think I will.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Nope, but so what? WotC made BA for a reason, one of which was this (even if no one uses it, which I freely admit to as well.) Some people like it, some people such as yourself don't. But again, so what? If you want to complain about BA, that's cool. That's your right. But if others say they like it, or if they say "Well, this is the way the game has already been built, designed, and published so there's not much anyone can do about it at this point, is there?"... that's their right too.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
On an open forum all about how X should change, we're still required to meekly and specifically attest that the giant company that professes they're listening to us that we in no way expect to be listened to lest be be harassed into providing said attestation?

No, I don't think I will.
Not at all. As I've said in many different threads... you are more than welcome to complain about whatever you want. That's what this board is for. But this board is also here for other people who disagree with your complaints to disagree with you. What do you want those people to do? Just remain quiet so you can complain in peace?

No, I don't think they will.

Gadget

Adventurer
Couldn't disagree with the OP more. I despised the "magic item shopping," "Christmas Tree effect," and "golf bag" of magic items that reached its zenith in 3.x. The game has moved steadily towards make such powers and 'magic' a part of character class abilities and growth.
That said, 5e certainly has been evenhanded about its approach, and one could argue that the current kerfuffle on the internet about the martial caster divide could be related to the fact that magic items are generally more scarce (though of course individual tables can and do differ from this norm). I think it's a given that older edition martials were more heavily dependent on magic items than the casters.

Horwath

Legend
At higher tiers − 9-12, 13-16, 17-20 − I encourage players to think about leadership roles, including working in or founding a Wizard School, building a Fortress, a Thieves Guild, and so on. My own campaigns have a need for Mass Combat when the lower Tier students, rookies, and recruits, defend the home or even go on mission.

I am excited about the Bastion in concept, tho I agree its mechanics need to integrate much better with the normal mechanics of economy.
This is why I would like to see all NEW class features be available by level 10-12.
Then after you just get more/better versions of if.
Getting that cool ability and then use it for half a session before campaign ends is really a bummer.

Remove ads