• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Taking Bards Back to Their Roots

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I like the flavor of 1st edition for a number of reasons. One of them is the nature-based bard. I liked when bards cast spells from the druid spell list. So what would you think if the bard class itself remained basically the same, except that it now used the druid spell list (plus any exclusive bard spells like glibness)? In other words, the bard would retain all the same class features and still cast spontaneously based on Charisma, but choose spells from the druid spell list instead.

Other variations of this idea that are a tad more extreme:
-Bard spellcasting based on Wisdom but still spontaneous.
-Bard spellcasting uses preparation (same spells per day), but still based on Charisma.
-Bard spellcasting uses preparation (same spells per day) and based on Wisdom.

I imagine old school gamers and grognards might like this idea while players whose primary experience is 3e or 2e will detest it. But I thought I'd test the waters. Balance does not concern me that much. As a DM, I can work balance into my games. But I like the flavor of the bard as being tied to nature like the 1e bard.

DreamChaser

Explorer
The only thing about the 1e bard was that is was a rather convoluted application of an inaccurate view of what historical bards were in Celtic history. This created a very niche class that might be very relevant for some campaigns.

I on the other hand, much prefer the bard as dedicated performer of 3x over the bard as jack of all trades or bard as subdruid from 2x and 1e.

DC

Crothian

First Post
If you want a Bard that goes back to the roots of what a Bard is (same with Druids too) see Slaine. A 1e bard though is not going back to the roots of a true Bard. :D

If you want a Bard to be a sub-druid guy that can fight/cast spells/buff people/etc, then just umm... wait til level 10 and take Focluchan Lyrist.

Other than that, just multiclass Rogue/Fighter/Sorcerer/Druid.

-TRRW

Nikroecyst

First Post
I started playing around 3rd edition so i dont' exactly know what you mean about the 1e bard but i have a basic idead.
I have a player in my game as a Druid/Bard 3, however we're using the Gestalt system from Unearthed Arcana. At first I thought this was going to be a bad mix for her character but it turned out pretty neat. Twice over effective in combat as well, able to take to the front or the back of the lines.
However if you did this with the regular system im not sure how well it would work.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Crothian said:
If you want a Bard that goes back to the roots of what a Bard is (same with Druids too) see Slaine. A 1e bard though is not going back to the roots of a true Bard. :D

I did not mean the historical bard, I meant the 1e bard.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Any Bard who doesn't bleach his roots regularly just isn't trying.

(Seriously: Fochlucan Lyrist is your best bet.)

Cheers, -- N

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Specifically, check out the spell list.

I mean, a 3e druid spell list has some serious blow-'em-up powers. I'd be seriously reluctant to give bards all that. And they don't need the animal buffs. So just a range of animal-style charms and some more fey-like abilities...

See also this thing.

And GOOD point above, Nifft.

Remove ads