D&D 3E/3.5 ToB: Bo9S - Nifft's Compendium

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Final two choices:

Crimson Vitality

- or -

Crimson Breath

Blood is implied, and that makes it nicely ambiguous.

Gah, this is the hardest school to name EVAR! :[

Thanks, -- N

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Nifft said:
Clearly the mechanics won't get any attention until this name is fixed. :)

- - -

Valetudo Iugum

"Valetudo" -- health; good health, bad health
"Iugum" -- yoke, join, pair; harness, union

It's not Asian, but it is foreign.

- - -

Alternately, something based around the Staff of Asclepius (which is the whole reason the school favors the quarterstaff, of course).

Serpent Rod
Serpent Staff

Viper Helix Rod
Orroborus Staff

Serpent Bough
Wood Serpent
Wood Wyrm
Wood Dragon

...er... still not good. :(

Thanks, -- N

Dragon Whisker (Staff)
Aspwood Rod/Staff
Scalewood Rod

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Sacred Lotus. (Or, if you like, Golden or Shining Lotus)

Browsing around the net, I learned that the Lotus is a very strong symbol of life in a number of religious and spiritual practices.

For example:
"The pure white lotus flower, the only plant to fruit and flower simultaneously, emerges from the depths of the muddy swamp and symbolizes the manifestation of the universal Buddha Nature or Christ Consciousness inherent equally in all life." (http://www.anaflora.com/articles/fe-profiles/lotus-flower.html)

saucercrab

Explorer
Herobizkit said:
Sacred Lotus. (Or, if you like, Golden or Shining Lotus)

Browsing around the net, I learned that the Lotus is a very strong symbol of life in a number of religious and spiritual practices.

For example:
"The pure white lotus flower, the only plant to fruit and flower simultaneously, emerges from the depths of the muddy swamp and symbolizes the manifestation of the universal Buddha Nature or Christ Consciousness inherent equally in all life." (http://www.anaflora.com/articles/fe-profiles/lotus-flower.html)
Hmm, what about (the semi-trite) Black Lotus? While the lotus symbolizes life, black implies a negative aspect of it.

(My Google-Fu definitely wasn't strong enough to find a good site with origins of flower names. Must practice my search-katas.)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Okay, finally got a name that I'm happy with: Sanguine Lotus. Maneuvers updated to reflect new name.

So. Gimmie feedback on the maneuvers themselves! :)

Thanks, -- N

saucercrab

Explorer
Nifft said:
Okay, finally got a name that I'm happy with: Sanguine Lotus. Maneuvers updated to reflect new name.

So. Gimmie feedback on the maneuvers themselves! :)

Thanks, -- N
That's a good choice.

Unfortunately, while I really like the general flavor of the new schools & their abilities, I'm not that well-versed in the maneuver system itself (just got the book a few weeks ago, & haven't had a chance to use/see a martial adept in our game), & so can't comment on balance/mechanics.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
@ Nifft:
I'd like to send a final cry for Crimson Lotus. :)

As for your manoeuvres, I'm not familiar with the Bo9S but, given what you've created here, I absolutely ADORE what you've done for your Sanguine Lotus list of abilities. Reading them through, I think they fit exactly what a life/death Chi manipulator should be able to do. NOne of the abilities are "flashy", and IMO this is what many up-and-coming "subtle" ninja should consider taking. Well done.

@ sacuercrab:
My Google-fu know no limit. I offer classes Tue and Thurs nights at my net-dojo. :)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Herobizkit said:
@ Nifft:
I'd like to send a final cry for Crimson Lotus. :)

Sanguine and Crimson are the same color (mostly)... but Sanguine has so many other juicy connotations! (And I apologize to all vegetarians for saying "sanguine" and "juicy".)

-- N

PS: And thank you! That's exactly the feel I'm going for. Not so flashy. :)

Flamewarrior

First Post
Sorry for taking so long to take my usual nitpickery here again. Let's see what we have ...

Nifft said:
Touch of Life -- Sanguine Lotus, Boost (Su)
Level: 2
Range: Touch
Targets: 1 ally / 3 levels (max 6)

This maneuver counts as magical healing, though it does not actually cure damage of any kind. Your targets automatically stabilize. Some other effects are also affected; for example, it could remove a bearded devil's infernal wound from an ally. Substitute Initiator Level for Caster Level when making checks to remove such effects.
The kind of of effect you seem to focus on here is continuing hit point loss that can be healed with Heal checks, so you could say "any continuing hit point loss stops if it could be stopped by Heal checks"; also, you could use a Heal check instead of initiator level, since that works for a bearded devil's ability.

Nifft said:
Tendon Crippling Grip -- Sanguine Lotus, Strike
Level: 4
Prereqs: 2
Target: Living creature that moves using its limbs

You damage a tendon in your foe's leg, wing, fin, or other organ of perambulation, reducing one of its speeds by -20 ft. (and reducing its maneuverability rating by one category, if you target its fly speed). A creature reduced to 0 movement can still crawl (5 ft. speed, prone).

This has no effect on creatures who move magically, or who do not use limbs to move (like oozes).

This speed penalty can be removed with a Heal check (DC 14 + Wis) or with magical healing.
Perhaps opposing a Heal check (and requiring caster level checks from magic) with an initiator level check?

Nifft said:
Neural Realignment -- Sanguine Lotus, Strike/Counter
Level: 6
Prereqs: 3
Duration: 5 rounds
Target: Living creature with Int 1 or higher

You interrupt the electrical signals between a creature's body and its brain, paralyzing it for 5 rounds (Will DC 16+Wis reduces the duration to 1 round).
Why'd vermin be immune? Other than that, which living creatures are mindless? Also, this is a strike/counter too, but you don't mention the counter effect - it's totally obvious, but it's nonetheless part of the maneuver description.

Nifft said:
Deep Vital Mastery -- Sanguine Lotus, Strike/Counter
Level: 7
Prereqs: 3
Duration: Instantaneous

You make a single touch attack as part of this maneuver. If your attack hits, your target is exhausted (no save). Additionally, if you would become exhausted or fatigued as the result of a spell or attack, you may expend this maneuver to avoid the condition entirely.
Is it my impression, or this is 2 levels higher just for the effect to last until resting? If that's the case, it seems too much.

Anyway, Dr. McNinja is the best so far - congratulations! Also, you may want to see this: Martial Compendium

Remove ads