The "Build"

Kae'Yoss

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
You can roleplay anything.

I can't. I have found that there's certain concepts that I don't care for at all.

Corinth said:
Games are not stories. Who the character is doesn't mean squat; what he brings to the party--i.e. what he does--matters foremost because capable, well-geared characters are far better choices for adding to a group (and thus increasing the odds for success) than one that isn't no matter who he is.

In DDM, but not necessarily in D&D. You can play like that, but it's not the only way (and it's in no way superior to other ways).

Sure, a character that only survives because the DM pulls the punches all the time is a bad idea, or a character who has no abilities whatsoever.

But that doesn't mean that charactes are just a bunch of gaming stats wrapped in a T-Shirt. There's more to the game than just slaughtering monsters.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Goldmoon said:
It seems all I see nowadays is "is there a build that does this?" What happened to "Is there a concept or idea that refelcts this?" Perhaps no one bothers to post role-playing ideas anymore and thus I dont see them, perhaps no one really has role playing ideas anymore and its all become mechanics. Has anyone else noticed a severe lack of character personality and an almost complete reliance on "builds" as a substitute for role-playing?
My group's character sheets would make min/maxers believe the end times are near.

Don't mistake what people (many of whom don't actually play at the moment) say online for what goes on in actual games.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Numion said:
In real fantasy world any adventuring group would allow only those persons to join who have skills they need.

Like, in the real world, a company would only hire those persons who have the skills they need. Sure, that's the way they want to go, but it is an idea that's often not reached. And even within a given set of skills, there's a wide breadth of personalities you might end up with...

And adventuring characters are not necessarily like a corporation hiring people. They're a group of folks in a (frequently tight) situation - they work with who they can find. Sometimes it is who they want, and sometimes it isn't.

Ozmar

First Post
Umbran said:
Like, in the real world, a company would only hire those persons who have the skills they need. Sure, that's the way they want to go, but it is an idea that's often not reached. And even within a given set of skills, there's a wide breadth of personalities you might end up with...

And adventuring characters are not necessarily like a corporation hiring people. They're a group of folks in a (frequently tight) situation - they work with who they can find. Sometimes it is who they want, and sometimes it isn't.

Like when they are traveling across an uninhabited and dangerous island, and two of their companions have recently died of horrible wounds, and a mysterious stranger suddenly teleports to their location and claims that he was sent there to aid them.

Yeah. That's perfectly reasonable. No stretch of credibility.

"You look trustworthy. Join us!"

Ozmar the Friendly Adventurer

Remove ads