The "Build"

Stalker0

Legend
Goldmoon said:
Has anyone else noticed a severe lack of character personality and an almost complete reliance on "builds" as a substitute for role-playing?

Perhaps people have no trouble with creating cool personalties, but need help on the rules aspect?

wayne62682

First Post
Stalker0 said:
Perhaps people have no trouble with creating cool personalties, but need help on the rules aspect?
That is my thought on the subject. As I stated above, creating a cool personality is one thing; being able to actually execute that cool personality in-game is another. Sure, some things can be shown through just role-playing, but there are many things which need mechanics to back them up, and with a veritable ton of feats and classes out there (just counting WotC books, not even getting into the myriad of third-party material) it's best to ask "How can I build xxx" and get a list of suggestions than go through that many sourcebooks oneself.

Aus_Snow

First Post
el-remmen said:
Well, I for one usually come up with my character concept first, and then choose the class, feats, skills, etc. .. that go along with that (even if they don't necessarily work together) - sometimes in making these choices the original concept ends up being tweaked by those choices - and that is fine, too. . .

But yeah, generally, I cringe when I hear the term "build" - luckily no one in my group of players uses that terminology.
Same here.

Aaron L

Hero
This:

wayne62682 said:
The answer is that the "build" helps reinforce the role-playing. I can SAY that my character is a legendary swordsman or a master at archery or whatever else, but then I need to back it up in game; that's where the build should come into play - to justify the concept.

And this:

Thanee said:
No, not at all. "Builds" enhance role-playing, since they give you the mechanics to allow you to do what your concept is meant to be able to.

Few things are more annoying than characters that are role-played as this or that and cannot even remotely do these things. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Is what I was going to say, in almost the same words, so I'll just cut and paste, with due credit given to my pre-stenographers.

I have no troble coming up with interesting characters or motivations for them. What I need help wuth and want to talk about is the game mechqanics to back up my character concept.

Of course, I also do like to talk about my characters, but who around here really wants to listen to others babble on about how cool theiir latest character is?

(and if you want to start a thread to do that, can I join?:))

Last edited:

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Any "build" is nothing more than a sensible mechanical representation of the character concept within the rules of the system.

For instance, my first Third Edition game included a sorcerer who made frequent use of [Cold] spells; this was pretty much a deliberate reflection of her controlled, icy personality, which was itself a consequence of her backstory and motivations. The availability of feats like Energy Substitution (Cold) improved not only her flexibility and power as a spellcaster but also reinforced the broad strokes of her concept.

I can't call that a negative.

pawsplay

Hero
Goldmoon said:
It seems all I see nowadays is "is there a build that does this?" What happened to "Is there a concept or idea that refelcts this?" Perhaps no one bothers to post role-playing ideas anymore and thus I dont see them, perhaps no one really has role playing ideas anymore and its all become mechanics. Has anyone else noticed a severe lack of character personality and an almost complete reliance on "builds" as a substitute for role-playing?

One of the main reasons to devise a "build" is to create a satisfying in-game portrait of a "concept." Power games, parlor tricks, and shiny-shiny are only some of the reasons people look carefullly they can do at certain levels. It sucks desiging a "hero of the people" fighter and getting to level six or so before realizing you don't have any viable options to make him inspiring or use his Charisma.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Goldmoon said:
It seems all I see nowadays is "is there a build that does this?" What happened to "Is there a concept or idea that refelcts this?"
I don't think this is a "nowadays" kind of thing, in all honesty.

There have always been gamers of each type, and those somewhere between the two.

SevenStar

First Post
I don't mind the "build" mindset insofar as the player also has a concept and a background in mind. Granted, the player can plan his progression from lv 1 to lv 20 all they want, but things never go the way they foresee. As long as the character is played true to the character's current abilities and in line with his/her background and current motivation, then that will intrinsically determine where they go next as far as leveling. But if they stick on a predetermined path, regardless of the storyline or how much it makes sense, then that's taking the 'build' mentality across the line into the realm of munchkinism.

Remove ads