Help me roleplay a "3" Wisdom

GBDeluxe

First Post
This is the deal. Rolling up characters for a 1e campaign, using the "roll 4 dice, drop the lowest" for the abilities... I roll 4 freaking ones. What are the odds of that? Like... 1 in 1296? Anyway, since it was such an interesting roll... I decided to keep it and roleplay the disability.

Since it's 1e, having such a low ability score in any category automatically limits you. Since I didn't want to do the "low strength / high intelligence" frail mage or the "high strength / low intelligence" brute fighter... I opted for Thief. This requires the low ability in Wisdom.

I want to really play this character well - but I don't want it to become: a) comic relief, b) a total liability on the party (on myself, well I accept that, but I'm not looking the kill the character before level 2).

So I figure we're looking at Chaotic Neutral for the alignment with a Wisdom so low.

But a "3" is damn low... we're talking a tad above a gelatinous cube. It's certainly not simply explained by "careless attitude"... I would figure something would seriously have to be wrong with the character to have such a low score. Perhaps he has aspergers / autism? It seems it would almost go beyond being "suicidal" in nature.

So... what would a character with a 3 in Wisdom be like? What could explain it?

sensate

First Post
GBDeluxe said:
This is the deal. Rolling up characters for a 1e campaign, using the "roll 4 dice, drop the lowest" for the abilities... I roll 4 freaking ones. What are the odds of that? Like... 1 in 1296? Anyway, since it was such an interesting roll... I decided to keep it and roleplay the disability.

Since it's 1e, having such a low ability score in any category automatically limits you. Since I didn't want to do the "low strength / high intelligence" frail mage or the "high strength / low intelligence" brute fighter... I opted for Thief. This requires the low ability in Wisdom.

I want to really play this character well - but I don't want it to become: a) comic relief, b) a total liability on the party (on myself, well I accept that, but I'm not looking the kill the character before level 2).

So I figure we're looking at Chaotic Neutral for the alignment with a Wisdom so low.

But a "3" is damn low... we're talking a tad above a gelatinous cube. It's certainly not simply explained by "careless attitude"... I would figure something would seriously have to be wrong with the character to have such a low score. Perhaps he has aspergers / autism? It seems it would almost go beyond being "suicidal" in nature.

So... what would a character with a 3 in Wisdom be like? What could explain it?
Your character should have some shallow new age type philosophy. Like something from Oprah.

Poor impulse control. If you have an urge, no matter how nonsensical, follow through.

As a thief, take anything not tied down -- regardless of who is watching, no matter how often you're caught. You'll pick up the king's scepter from next to the throne, while he is sitting on it.

DMH

First Post
How about really impulsive- someone who doesn't do any thinking before acting. Being a thief, that means he probably is a klepto, possible to the point of a kender.

Siegfried Niemand

First Post
As close as I can get to a 3 Wisdom would be Gir from Invader Zim. In addition to his constantly medling in things, asking "What's this do? What's that do?", and getting rid of important GPS parts to make room for the cupcake, we also figure he's a high priest of Tharizdun from how obsessed he is with doom.

Brazeku

First Post
I recommend a bad memory and drifting off into thought and daydreams constantly. Also openly coming to outlandish conclusions based upon those daydreams.

Like maybe the half elf has some soot on his nose, so you get the idea he looks kinda like a hobgoblin, and then you kinda talk to yourself about it for half an hour or so, convincing yourself that maybe he has some hobgoblin blood, he sure looked like one when his nose was sooted up, is that all it takes to look like a hobgoblin? not likely! So he must have some hobgoblin in him, you just didn't notice it without the dark nose.

And then blurt it out while you're all sitting around the campfire. Not cruelly, just "I know you're part hobgoblin!"

Squire James

First Post
If I remember my 1e correctly, a Wisdom of 5 or less meant you HAD to be a Thief. You literally had no choice in the matter! Of course, you might be using one of those new versions of 1e (C&C, Osric, Hackmaster, etc.) that didn't carry over that little rule. If you're having trouble finding the rule, look in the Wisdom table itself (I think that's the only place it was stated).

That being said, a person with a Wisdom of 3 would probably believe everything anybody says is the truth, or is a lie. Choose one, and stick with it until some traumatic event occurs because of it. Then switch to the other one.

Gantz: Why did you attack me?
Lowwis: Horowitz said you were my enemy.

Gantz: He's our enemy!
Lowwis: No he isn't. He said so. He also said you're a filthy liar! Liar! Liar! Pants on Fire!

Gantz: I'm a freaking PALADIN! I don't lie without good reason. Not like Horowitz, I might add! Why do you insist on this childishness?
Lowwis: Well, he said you're a liar... and your pants ARE on fire!

Gantz: (stop, drop, roll, curse in Lawful Good alignment tongue) Why in Heironeous' name didn't you tell me before?
Lowwis: I just did! Besides, you're a liar, and thus you deserve it! But since I'm Chaotic Good and all, I figured I'd tell you anyway.

Vague Jayhawk

First Post
Pick something. Anything. And spend ALL of your money on it.

Do not save money for magic items or anything else that might make sense. Immediately sell all of your loot as soon as you get it and purchase your desired item whatever the cost.

Be prepared to be very easily fooled.

Remove ads