Help me roleplay a "3" Wisdom

+5 Keyboard!

First Post
The best real life example for me, being a parent, is the behavior of toddlers (1 to 3 years old). If you’re a parent of a toddler, just watch how they behave and try to emulate that in your game. If you have family with toddlers, go and observe their children in action.

At any rate, a low wisdom can mean any or all of the following:

Extremely gullible to a fault (Will always get suckered into a con, will always believe what someone tells them, takes peoples’ words literally - “Wow! It’s raining cats and dogs out there!” “Really?! Oh my gosh! Kitties & puppies! Lemme see!”

Never learns from mistakes (Someone hands him a hot plate he will touch it and say “Ow!” and a moment later he may do the same thing again, “Ow!” ... repeatedly until the plate cools. Think of a toddler that keeps climbing on furniture, falling, and getting hurt. After a good cry, they’re back at it minutes later.)

Impulsive (He thinks it, he does it; he thinks it, he says it. Learn to say “Mine!” a LOT.)

Has only a rudimentary concept of his own mortality (Will take extremely dangerous risks that he doesn’t comprehend as such. Sometimes he does things most people will see as suicidal and probably will be if he doesn’t have allies around to keep him from getting himself killed.)

Overly trusting (Believes everything he’s told and only catches on after repeated lessons to teach him not to trust everyone. Even then, he forgets everything he’s learned the next time the issue comes up.)

Weak-minded (Yes, we know that his Will save is going to suck, but it goes beyond that. He is the most likely to agree with whatever someone is saying or take advice/instructions to heart whether good or bad. Don’t mix this up with Charisma. He definitely has a sense of self and a good self image, but he is just incapable of thinking much for himself)

A good example from pop culture is Rain Man or Homer Simpson or even Barney Gumble, the drunk. Another is Deedee from Dexter’s Laboratory (his annoying, impulsive sister, “What’s this do? What’s this do? What’s this do?). Kelso from That 70s Show.

Hope that helps.

Brazeku

First Post
As an aside, I think that a good example of a high intelligence, low wisdom character is a pedant.

You might want to fill us in on the intelligence scores.

I'll be blunt with you that this character is likely either going to suck to play, or be a riot. Hope you're not in a really serious campaign.

Never learn from any of your mistakes. If possible, repeat them at the next available opportunity, just to highlight how you don't learn from them.

Be totally unaware of how people respond to you. Sometimes this will be good (people can make fun of you and it doesn't bother you because you don't even understand that they're making fun of you), sometimes it will be bad (magic beans for my +5 sword, that sounds like a great deal).

Impulsiveness is your friend. Never stop to think about the consequences of your actions. Don't think about doing something, just do it.

Olaf the Stout

Kheti sa-Menik

First Post
All I can add is make sure you walk that fine line between low Wis and insane. Low Wis doesn't mean bat**** crazy. Try to make that distinction absolutely clear when you RP.

Imp

First Post
Attention deficit disorder. A wildly & inappropriately overactive imagination. Absolutely no sense of cause and effect. Completely irresponsible.

I agree that Gir from Invader Zim is a good model, but he's not very smart, either. Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes is maybe better – I don't think he's quite a 3, but he's definitely above average in INT, so...

Have fun! The dude is probably gonna die soon. :D

Wolfwood2

Explorer
It means you have lousy observational skills, and you're bad at Will saves.

Beyond that, play whatever personality you like. There's no point constantly worrying about if you're playing him *whatever* enough. There's no reason the character's wisdom score has to be more than a minor note in his personality, if that.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) Say what you think. Always.

2) Either do whatever act your first impulse is, or adopt some kind of randomizer..."Left or Right? What does my lucky copper piece tell me?"

3) Never learn from your mistakes.

4) Never question your allies. Or your foes.

5) When someone tells you to take cover, shout "Why?" When someone asks you to be quiet, stand up and look around (quietly, of course).

6) Always, always, always believe you can beat the odds.

Remove ads