Radiant Servant Empowered/Maximized Healing

Beckett

Explorer
A player is bringing a Radiant Servant of Pelor (from CD) into my game tonight. I was looking it over when I came across something that was different than how I'd seen the RS played.

The Empower/Maximize Healing ability. In the text, it states these kick in when the character "casts a domain spell from the Healing domain." In play, we had treated it as all healing spells the RS cast were empowered/maximized (based on a friend's reading of the rule- I trusted him on rules calls, so never checked myself). Based on the text, it looks like the empower/maximize should only apply to spells memorized as Domain spells; spontaneously cast Cure Light it's normal, but memorize Cure Light as your 1st level Domain spell and it's empowered/maximized. This sounds a lot more balanced, but is it right?

Beckett

Explorer
Thanks. I'll add it to the growing list of "creative" rules interps from this player *sigh*

And thanks for the link, I'll check that out.

Perun

Mushroom
I asked the same question a few days ago over on the WotC boards (link here). The opinions are divided. I even posted the question to the Ask Wizards, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for answer.

FWIW, I think it should apply to all healing spells cast by RsoP, but then again, I am/was planning my character to take levels in the PrC, so I guess I could be a bit biased :p

Regards.

Diirk

First Post
TheGogmagog said:
Yes, it only applies to the spells memorized in the domain spell slot. So it only applies once per spell slot level.

Well sort of. If you take the domain caster optional feature from PHB2 and select the heal domain, then you can spontaneously cast any Heal Domain spell instead of the normal Cure <xxx>s... and they would qualify for the empower/maximise.

Alternatively with that Domain Spontaneity feat (Complete Divine?) you can do the same thing by burning a turn undead attempt each time, and you retain access to your normal cure sponting as well.

James McMurray

First Post
If you have the Healing Domain, there's little reason not to take Domain Spontanaity with it. Unless for some weird reason you prefer Cure Moderate Wounds (Mass) to Heal. :)

drdevoid

Explorer
Diirk said:
Well sort of. If you take the domain caster optional feature from PHB2 and select the heal domain, then you can spontaneously cast any Heal Domain spell instead of the normal Cure <xxx>s... and they would qualify for the empower/maximise.

Alternatively with that Domain Spontaneity feat (Complete Divine?) you can do the same thing by burning a turn undead attempt each time, and you retain access to your normal cure sponting as well.

And then there's Pearls of Power used to retain Domain spells.

Legildur

First Post
James McMurray said:
If you have the Healing Domain, there's little reason not to take Domain Spontanaity with it. Unless for some weird reason you prefer Cure Moderate Wounds (Mass) to Heal. :)
Well, in some circumstances the MCMW can be quite useful for healing dying allies at range... and harming multiple undead from range.... You can't always safely reach someone with Heal.

Though I typically prefer Heal myself... just pointing out that it does have its limitations.

James McMurray

First Post
Yeah, ranged healing can definitely be handy in the right circumstances, but by the time you're casting heal you can either have Reach Spell, movement enhancers to get you closer more easily (MIC has tons of cheap items that give short range teleports, often as a swift action).

Or you could just memorize a MCMW and then default it out to Heal later. :)

Remove ads