Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

Stormborn

Explorer
I am honestly shocked by the emotional reaction I am having. Dragon published my first piece of proffesional writing. I am thrilled that I am part of the legacy of Dragon and was included in the Dragon Compendium. Guess that explains part of why I haven't heard back from my last article query.

SIGH.

Like many others I would have prefered a new print magazine to take their place, especially Dragon's. I am not thrilled about WotC's e-magazine direction. I understand Paizo's position and wish them well. I may pick up the first Pathfinder, but I doubt I will subscribe. Maybe if Pathfinder is succesful they will eventually be able to spin a more general interest Fantasy Gaming magazine out of it to take Dragon's place.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
JoshuaFrost said:
1) I would recommend picking up a month-to-month subscription for the final issues of Dungeon. Some exciting stuff is in the pipes for the last, few, issues.

Done.

JoshuaFrost said:
I'd also recommend giving Pathfinder or our GameMastery Modules a try for the same quality content you've grown to expect in our periodicals.

Doesn't sound as varied as Dungeon is, and more expensive, so I'll be passing.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

johnsemlak

First Post
Like others have posted I"m really gutted by hearing this.

When I rationalize it, I realize it won't affect me very much practically since I've only bought a handful of issues over the last few years. So I don't have a huge right to complain.

But it was always nice knowing it was there. As an above poster said, it's like a friend died or something. Dragon has been one of constants in D&D's long history.

Given Dragon's seminal role in D&D history, it would be nice if WotC put some proper PR saying not only that this has happened, but why it happened etc, and some more details about the future online offering.

I'll give the online content a look, I suppose. Dunno

Presto2112

Explorer
JoshuaFrost said:
Pathfinder is a 96-page, perfect-bound, OGL-compatible, full-color softcover Adventure Path book printed on high-quality paper for use with the world's most popular fantasy roleplaying game.

We're offering a free PDF of that month's volume to subscribers as well as giving folks multiple shipping options that don't include the periodicals rate. :)

Forgive my ignorance, but:

(A) What does "perfect-bound" mean?
(B) Would "imperfect- bound" and lower quality paper save three or four bucks an issue?

Bottom line:

Less content + More cost = One Less Customer.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Way to support the FLGS, Wizards! Cut them out of the channel. Way to put stuff in shops and stores that aren't traditional hobby stores (even if people don't buy them, being on the shelf is advertising). Way to say: if you don't use a computer a lot, we don't care about you.

Their site is down a lot. Their message boards are down more than any boards I've ever seen. Who really thinks this is a good idea?

How do I share stuff with the rest of my group, like I did with dragon? HOw do I loan them out to newbies to get them into the game?

Drkfathr1

First Post
I just can't comprehend how the on-line only model is going to be successful.

From a marketing standpoint isn't it like preaching to the choir? Now that extra bit of advertising D&D got by having a presence on the newstand (no matter how small that may be) will be gone entirely.

I just really have no confidence that the on-line content will be anywhere near as good as the content of Dragon and Dungeon.

It just seems like a very customer/industry "unfriendly" move to make.

helium3

First Post
Like I said. Paizo is going out of business, or at least there's a very high probability of that happening now.

Also, this totally explains why they stopped responding to people's query submissions and the like months ago.

Anyhow, I'm excited to see what WOTC pulls out of its hat now.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Presto2112 said:
Forgive my ignorance, but:

(A) What does "perfect-bound" mean?
(B) Would "imperfect- bound" and lower quality paper save three or four bucks an issue?

Bottom line:

Less content + More cost = One Less Customer.

Perfect bound = soft-cover book.

You can't bind a 96 page book any other way, really.

Remove ads