Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

JoeGKushner

First Post
Treebore said:
I was wondering. With them being willing/able to partner with Necromancer Games and announcing doing adventures "outside" of Dungeon magazine, things didn't make sense to me.
This makes it all make sense.

Ditto on pretty much all fronts.

Treebore said:
This Pathfinder idea sounds cool.

We'll see. Gaming Frontiers and other d20 magazines have tried to remain viable. None of them had the talent at their disposal that Paizo does mind you but hey, I'm the Eternal Cynic.

Treebore said:
Irregardless, this does anger me. Dungeon and Dragon Mags are a huge part of what is D&D for me.

Plus I much prefer print to pdf. So I doubt this new WOTC venture is going to win me over.

Ditto on both parts. I mean, the friggin' magazines are named after the title of the game, and not having access to content when I'm not online is never a good idea.

Rykion

Explorer
I will definitely miss Dragon and Dungeon. They've been a constant part of what I think of as gaming for as long as I can remember.

I have little interest in buying WotC's online content.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Well, great. I just put in subscriptions to both Dungeon and Dragon a week or so ago.
I'll take a look at Pathfinder but I doubt I'll find that it's my cup of tea, thought getting the print AND a pdf is good. The main reason I liked Dungeon was that there was at least one adventure in there I could use or adapt regardless of what level the party was. With Pathfinder it sounds like I'd get one adventure a year, and setting will be a problem. If you hate Eberron, for instance, then if they do a Pathfinder set in Eberron you're out of pocket that entire year.

I'll have to take a long and serious look at the new paid content for Wizards e-site. It depends on the price they offer, and the amount of content they offer.

mhensley

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:
Since nobody has offered up the 4e conspiracy theory, I'll go ahead and do it...

WotC is ending these magazine contracts because they will be announcing the release of 4th Edition D&D at GenCon and they plan to control as much of that content as possible.

No, I don't believe it, but I just felt like throwing some gas on the fire. ;)

This makes sense if 4E won't be using the OGL and I certainly wouldn't doubt it happening now. WOTC apparently wants to be just like Games Workshop- constantly increasing the prices of minis and slowly killing off any and all competition. How much longer before the draconian internet policies of old return? Enworld may be getting a cease and desist order next.

Thanks WOTC! You just made my decision to get away from playing D&D that much easier.

frankthedm

First Post
Hunter In Darkness said:
Indeed, this does not bode well for WotC's future relationship with its fan base. If they're willing to kill Dragon and Dungeon just to squeeze another revenue stream out of their website, then nothing will be safe in 4th edition. Nothing.

How long before they conclude that all us grognards are dead weight and turn D&D into a collectible miniatures game?
Uhm, that more or less happened in 2003

JoshuaFrost

First Post
helium3 said:
Like I said. Paizo is going out of business, or at least there's a very high probability of that happening now.

That's absurd. :)

We launched Planet Stories, our second Titanic Games release (Stonehenge) comes out next month with three other Titanic releases due before the end of the year, our GameMastery brand is ramping up-up-up, and our web store is doing better than ever and shows consistent growth month-over-month. We also just recently hired THREE new employees to handle our increasing work load and product schedule.

Sorry, man, we're here to stay.

Rafael Ceurdepyr

First Post
I'm feeling sick about this too. Dragon in particular has been around as long as I've been playing D&D (longer, even). There's just something about being able to bring the magazine along with you and read it at times you can't have a computer with you. I really do think there's still room in the marketplace for print. Makes me very sad. I also wonder what that does to the freelance article market. I always felt like it gave me something to aspire to, to see my name in print with an article in Dragon.

I won't knock Wizards' online product yet, but it's really not my preference.

What a sad day.

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
No surprise word gets around fast...

I just spent a bit of time at the Wizards boards and elsewhere. Almost everyone is reacting with at least disappointment and there's plenty of anger too. I don't have any blame for Paizo, I think they did a fabulous job with Dragon and Dungeon. :D
I blame Wizards and their assumption that that we'll just follow. :mad: This touches at the core of the problem of big business wrecking niche markets... Whenever a major corporation gets tangled up with a popular hobby, they'll eventually ;) ;) ;) k it up, guaranteed.

And so, we'll never see Dragon #360? (a poetic issue number if I say so myself ;)

**sigh**

I gonna need a drink...

JoshuaFrost

First Post
WayneLigon said:
I'll take a look at Pathfinder but I doubt I'll find that it's my cup of tea, thought getting the print AND a pdf is good. The main reason I liked Dungeon was that there was at least one adventure in there I could use or adapt regardless of what level the party was. With Pathfinder it sounds like I'd get one adventure a year, and setting will be a problem. If you hate Eberron, for instance, then if they do a Pathfinder set in Eberron you're out of pocket that entire year.

A few key points: Pathfinder is set in our own campaign world that should be just as easy to adapt to your homebrew or established campaign setting as Dungeon adventures were and in a full year of Pathfinder you'll get 12 MASSIVE adventures with support materials, several dozen new monsters, setting articles, etc. Each Pathfinder volume will level PCs two or three times and each six-volume arc will be a new Adventure Path.

You can find additional details at paizo.com/pathfinder.

Remove ads