Pathfinder 2E By prohibiting ORC licensing on Pathfinder/Starfinder Infinite, Paizo is now a step closer to WotC's walled garden approach with dmsguild

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
I've said this elsewhere, but I'd rather reference/use the content of people who will be happy to have me do so rather than those who will be annoyed, regardless of the legality.

MCG and MCDM appear to both be firmly in the "would be annoyed" category, which is a shame. Cyphers and relics (from MCG) and minions, companions, and retainers (from MCDM) would be wonderful additions to the general 5e world writ large if they could be added to and expanded upon.

Reynard

Legend
I've said this elsewhere, but I'd rather reference/use the content of people who will be happy to have me do so rather than those who will be annoyed, regardless of the legality.

MCG and MCDM appear to both be firmly in the "would be annoyed" category, which is a shame. Cyphers and relics (from MCG) and minions, companions, and retainers (from MCDM) would be wonderful additions to the general 5e world writ large if they could be added to and expanded upon.
MCDM is almost worse than MCG. The Product Identity list in Flee Mortals is a full page and is essentially everything that isn't in the SRD. That is extremely disappointing, to the point that i don't think i will be supporting them in the future. Companies and individuals that take all the benefits of Open Gaming and give nothing back should not be rewarded IMO.

This is not an uncommon thing - Old School Essentials Advanced Fantasy includes this line:

"
All text and tables not declared as Open Game Content are product identity.
DESIGNATION OF OPEN GAME CONTENT
The table of Secondary Skills (p52) is Open Game Content.
"

Tons of OGL products similarly designate product identity such that they are a "dead end" which cannot be built upon or referenced.

Reynard

Legend
This is not an uncommon thing - Old School Essentials Advanced Fantasy includes this line:

"
All text and tables not declared as Open Game Content are product identity.
The table of Secondary Skills (p52) is Open Game Content.
"

Tons of OGL products similarly designate product identity such that they are a "dead end" which cannot be built upon or referenced.
Which is, itself, particularly ironic.

Funny, my copy of the OSE Advanced Fantasy Player's Tome has the following:

All text and tables in the following sections are Open Game Content: Advancement, Vehicles and Mounts, Cleric Spells, Magic-User Spells, Hired Help, Strongholds.

All text and tables in the following subsections of the Player Characters section are Open Game Content: Game Statistics, Creating a Character: Basic Method, Ability Scores, Alignment, Languages.

The table of Secondary Skills (p25) is Open Game Content.

All text and tables in the following subsections of the Character Classes section are Open Game Content: cleric, dwarf, elf, fighter, halfling, magicuser, thief.

All text and tables in the following subsections of the Equipment section are Open Game Content: Adventuring Gear, Weapons and Armour.

All text and tables in the following subsections of the Magic section are Open Game Content: Spells, Spell Books (excluding the Advanced Spell Book Rules section), Magical Research, Cleric Spell List, Magic-User Spell List.

All text and tables in the following subsections of the Adventuring section are Open Game Content: Party Organisation, Time, Weight, and Movement, Ability Checks, Saving Throws, Damage, Healing, and Death (excluding the Returning from Death section), Hazards and Challenges, Dungeon Adventuring, Wilderness Adventuring, Waterborne Adventuring, Encounters, Evasion and Pursuit, Combat, Other Combat Issues (excluding the Attacking with Two Weapons, Charging into Melee, Missile Attacks on Targets in Melee, Parrying, and Splash Weapons sections), Morale, Combat Tables.

Reynard

Legend

All text and tables in the following sections are Open Game Content: Advancement, Vehicles and Mounts, Cleric Spells, Magic-User Spells, Hired Help, Strongholds.

All text and tables in the following subsections of the Player Characters section are Open Game Content: Game Statistics, Creating a Character: Basic Method, Ability Scores, Alignment, Languages.

The table of Secondary Skills (p25) is Open Game Content.

All text and tables in the following subsections of the Character Classes section are Open Game Content: cleric, dwarf, elf, fighter, halfling, magicuser, thief.

All text and tables in the following subsections of the Equipment section are Open Game Content: Adventuring Gear, Weapons and Armour.

All text and tables in the following subsections of the Magic section are Open Game Content: Spells, Spell Books (excluding the Advanced Spell Book Rules section), Magical Research, Cleric Spell List, Magic-User Spell List.

All text and tables in the following subsections of the Adventuring section are Open Game Content: Party Organisation, Time, Weight, and Movement, Ability Checks, Saving Throws, Damage, Healing, and Death (excluding the Returning from Death section), Hazards and Challenges, Dungeon Adventuring, Wilderness Adventuring, Waterborne Adventuring, Encounters, Evasion and Pursuit, Combat, Other Combat Issues (excluding the Attacking with Two Weapons, Charging into Melee, Missile Attacks on Targets in Melee, Parrying, and Splash Weapons sections), Morale, Combat Tables.

Bolded stuff: what weird things to decide to hold back.

I grabbed my quote off the Advanced Fantasy Genre small book. Everything you have quoted is "Basic Game" stuff - which is Open and even has an SRD. That's all the stuff from the original B/X which Gavin ported.

All his original stuff that he created for the "Advanced Game" are defined as product identity.

Reynard

Legend
I grabbed my quote off the Advanced Fantasy Genre small book. Everything you have quoted is "Basic Game" stuff - which is Open and even has an SRD. That's all the stuff from the original B/X which Gavin ported.

All his original stuff that he created for the "Advanced Game" are defined as product identity.
That always strikes my as not just against the intent of the OGL, but frankly just egotistical. Well, you see, MY regurgitations of OGL content are far superior and must be MINE alone. Ugh.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
MCDM is almost worse than MCG. The Product Identity list in Flee Mortals is a full page and is essentially everything that isn't in the SRD. That is extremely disappointing, to the point that i don't think i will be supporting them in the future. Companies and individuals that take all the benefits of Open Gaming and give nothing back should not be rewarded IMO.
Wow, I really liked the first book I got from them, didn't look at the notice. Guess I will not be buying any more or kickstarting their new game.

Remove ads