Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

helium3

First Post
JoshuaFrost said:
That's absurd. :)

We launched Planet Stories, our second Titanic Games release (Stonehenge) comes out next month with three other Titanic releases due before the end of the year, our GameMastery brand is ramping up-up-up, and our web store is doing better than ever and shows consistent growth month-over-month. We also just recently hired THREE new employees to handle our increasing work load and product schedule.

Sorry, man, we're here to stay.

Oh I know. And you're right. You have several other lines to keep you in business. I'm not saying you are going to go out of business, just that the probability has increased.

But let's face it, Paizo just lost one of their major competative advantages and that's never easy for a business. Life is going to be more difficult from now on.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
MrFilthyIke said:
Getting s@#t-faced tonight. Gotta drink to Moldvay AND Dragon AND Dungeon tonight. There's the sad trifecta.

I'll be drinking with you from Canadia. And I know Diaglo is joining us from Stone Mountain.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I am totally floored by this. I used to subscribe to Dragon for many years (I have issues dating back to mid-40s) and though I haven't subbed to that magazine in years, I have been a subscriber to Dungeon though the turbulent period of incorporating the Polyhedron and now into the magazine's Golden Age.

I can't believe WotC is messing with success like this.

I don't like the idea of going to an all-digital format. I hate reading large amounts of text on a computer screen. I like the freedom of taking my text anywhere I want to read it be it an easy chair, outside on the porch, or lying in bed waiting for sleep to come.
*sigh*

Paizo, you've done a fantastic job and I expect I'll check out the new Pathfinder materials with my Dungeon credit.

Wizards, you've got fences to mend. Better hurry up with approving Age of Worms and Savage Tide's transition into hardcover.

I'll be holding a wake in September when I receive my last issue of Dungeon.

Belen said:
Please tell me that this world will not force us to use different races etc. I'd want something that can be just plunked down in a D&D game.
That last sentiment is one reason I prefer site-based adventures for a given level range over the whole "adventure path" concept. I've got a campaign (or two) -- I like stuff I can plunk down or plug in without too much fuss.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Dragon and Dungeon going online sounds a lot like what I was hoping for in this post. I'd happily pay a small fee ($5/month or so) for online character creation/storage, up-to-the-minute rules corrections/clarifications, Dragon-like content, and Dungeon-like adventures.

Bravo to WotC on this move, and bravo to Paizo for doing a great job on Dragon and Dungeon (they made a subscriber out of me). Speaking of Paizo, they're in a terrific position to keep on rocking. They've got a lot going on: a best-of-breed online store, great original games, the book deal, and this new Pathfinder thing.

-z

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Um, actually, e-zines have been a vast wasteland of failure on the Internet for many, many reasons. So, I'm not sure how WotC expects to pull this off when others have failed, not only in the gamin world, but nearly everywhere it has been tried.

There are so many obstacles, not the first of which is how do people that don't know about the service even find it to buy?

Psion

Adventurer
Well then... I turn my face to my work computer for a few minutes and this bomb gets dropped.

As others, I'm really disappointed. Paizo had some great staff and some of the best adventure writers in the industry, and they were always looking to get feedback to make the magazines better.

I hope their post-official-mag era plans work out for them.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Belen said:
Please tell me that this world will not force us to use different races etc. I'd want something that can be just plunked down in a D&D game.

Absolutely not; the core races in our new campaign world are the ones you're used to. If you pick up the PHB or just use the SRD... you'll be good to go, be it as a human, elf, dwarf, gnome, halfling, half-elf, or half-orc.

Remove ads