Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

S. Baldrick

Explorer
I feel like someone kicked me in the groin. I started reading Dragon magazine back when Reagan was President and Michael Jackson was known for his music instead of for his eccentricities. I will drink a toast to both magazines and wish the best of luck to Pazio and their “Pathfinder” magazine.

SWBaxter

First Post
Sir Brennen said:
I'm going to swim against the tide here and say, moving regular content online is a cool, forward-looking idea.

Yeah, I'm suffering heavy nostalgia because Dragon was around issue 35 or so when I first started playing D&D and it's weird thinking of a hobby without it, but I haven't read it regularly in quite some time. What it delivers I can get online in a more convenient format. WOTC's probably making the best business move, but folks are still gonna hurt for a while.

The loss of Dungeon isn't as big a deal to me, since for me the major recent draw is their adventure paths, and those are going to continue in this Pathfinder thingy. Of more importance to me is the probable loss of free adventures from WOTC when they get their online service up and running, but I've already got enough freebies to run a couple of full 1-20 campaigns if I'm so inclined so that's not as large a blow as it first appears.

So it's a bit of bummer, but not the end of the world, and the future has a decent amount of upside.

JoshuaFrost

First Post
crazy_cat said:
Its *ouch* expensive if you pay for it all at once - but $14 is actually only 2 pints of Lager or a cinema ticket in real UK terms here - I'll be subscribing on the month to month option and seeing what its like.

If the content doesn't justify the price then they'll lose my custom.

That said I'd rather support Paizo in their new venture than WOTC in their online money extracting model.

Please don't forget one very important thing about a 96-page book: no ads!

JoeGKushner

First Post
PhantomNarrator said:
Exactly! They obviously don't give two $#!t$ about how this will impact the specialty gaming stores. Many a month I've walked in to my local FLGS solely to pick up the latest issue of Dragon or Dungeon, even when I wasn't actively gaming, just to show my support. The fools don't seem to understand that as gaming stores prosper, they prosper.

God, I hate suits.

I think that needs to be another thread because in this very thread, it's been mentioned that they don't do another magazine is because of the distribution and the benefit from doing books and getting into bookstores. FLGS is no longer the standard I think.

Raven Crowking

First Post
OK. I had to wade through four pages of thread, which has allowed several stages of grief to pass. I started gaming in 1979, and bought my first The Dragon in 1980. I join the voices of those cursing WotC for this move. :]

Hopefully, it'll just be a sad hiatus, and the magazines will come back at some point. :(

Joshua, as far as Paizo goes, my main question is: What's in the works for those of us who don't use adventure paths?

Remove ads