Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

JoshuaFrost

First Post
Belen said:
I converted to Pathfinder, Josh, and I look forward to the book.

I'm sure you'll be impressed. I've seen a great deal of the art and I'M blown away by it. We're doing something really special with Pathfinder.

JoeGKushner

First Post
JoshuaFrost said:
Paizo has been and will always be committed to the hobby chain and the FLGS. We are selling everything we create into hobby, even our Planet Stories line. The bookstore channel is relatively new for us and, while successful, doesn't have the track record that the hobby channel does on RPG-related materials.

Pathfinder is a book like any supplement released from Necromancer, White Wolf, or Wizards is a book. It'll be sold everywhere books are available.

So are you saying that Pathfinder coudl be successful without being in the chain stores or that both FLSG and chain stores (B&N/Borders/etc...) are necessary?

Hoist a Glass

I am emotional about this all out of proportion with its actual effect on my life. When I first became aware of RPGs as a child, Dragon was already around. Confused and curious in wide-eyed wonder at the rules of role-playing, I sat and let Dragon teach me. As I daydreamed about what infinite possibilities meant, Dragon guided me. When I first decided to run a game, Dragon held my hand. When I wanted something new and different, Dragon delighted and surprised me. When I was alone and depressed, Dragon kept me company.

And years later, when I finally decided I wanted to write about my experiences and try to give back some of the magic I had received, Dragon was my patron. My first, and second and third, sales into the industry were for Dragon. When I tried to get hired at Wizards of the Coast, Dragon vouched for me. When I left Wizards of the Coast for a full-time freelancer career, Dragon was my first client. When I had surgery just last year, Dragon sent me cards and gifts to once more, after twenty years, keep me company.

Of course an inanimate letterhead and logo didn't do any of those things, people did. I've loved the magazine like some people love cars for most of my life, and I feel every single person I've ever come in contact with regarding that magazine were top–notch. Those people are still around -- I have every reason to believe I'll trade e-mails with Erik Mona, Mike McArtor and Wesley Schneider again. I believe Paizo is going to be here for my nephew in a few more years, and they'll send me cards for many events to come. I don't have to mourn the loss of Paizo's genius or the great things they'll create.

But the magazine itself has always felt like a person, and now it's dying. For a time, at least, that noble beast who lit the way for me to find one of my true passions shall soar the skies no more. A Dragon is dead. And if I have to be melodramatic and ridiculously sentimental to explain how I feel about that, it's the least I can do.

Hoist a glass high, for the passing of Dragon.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoshuaFrost

First Post
Raven Crowking said:
Joshua, as far as Paizo goes, my main question is: What's in the works for those of us who don't use adventure paths?

Great question. Our GameMastery Modules are launching in June and will release one 32-page, full-color, OGL-compatible adventure every month. If those take off, we'd consider doing more than one a month.

But that's a good, non-Pathfinder start.

sjmiller

Explorer
While I see that Josh answered some of the questions I had as I was typing this post, I think it still stands. I don't use adventures, modules, or adventure paths. I still read Dragon and Dungeon magazines and found them useful in all their NON-ADVENTURE material. It seems that Paizo is abandoning this aspect of the magazines in favor of just more modules and adventures. Anyway, here's what I wrote as Josh was answering Raven

Josh, I am going to repeat a question someone else asked, because I think it is important and will help a lot of people make up their minds about Pathfinder. What kind of content will Pathfinder have for those of us who don't use adventure paths? I know I have never used them, and don't see a need to do so in the future. I prefer to make my own adventures, thank you very much. Dragon and Dungeon magazines carried lots of things for those who do not follow the adventure paths, but I am not sure if Pathfinder will do the same.

Last edited:

mhensley

First Post
Sammael said:
I honestly can't believe anyone who's perused the notoriously unreliable WotC website for any length of time will trust their "digital initiative" to work as planned.

<sarcasm>I'm sure it'll be just as good as the great electronic tools they promised when 3rd edition came out.</sarcasm>

occam

Adventurer
Gawd, this SUCKS!

I've got dozens of issues of both Dragon and Dungeon extending nearly to the beginning of both magazines, and after 25 years of playing D&D, I finally subscribed to Dungeon last year. The loss of these magazines leaves a HUGE hole in the shared D&D experience. It also removes one of the last reasons I had to visit an FLGS.

Speaking on Dungeon particularly, there goes the best deal in adventure gaming. And we also lose some unique benefits of its adventure format. One of the great strengths of Dungeon was its publication of multiple shorter adventures. Being easier to write than the full-sized standalone or campaign-length adventures Paizo will be doing now, the format allowed for the discovery of great freelance talent over the years. Many, if not most, of today's best adventure designers started in Dungeon magazine. How will those new talents be discovered now? I don't believe online distribution of shorter adventures will generate the exposure of a single industry-wide print publication, and which may be crucial to honing such talent on a demanding stage.

The shorter format also allowed for experimentation that longer formats don't support, I believe. Could you imagine someone publishing full-sized versions of adventures such as "Diplomacy", "Swords of Dragonslake", the "Challenge of Champions" series, "Siege of the Spider Eaters", "The Palace of Plenty", "The Coming Storm", "The Prince of Redhand", "The Obsidian Eye", or "Box of Flumph", to name some from the last few years? Even if someone published a full-sized adventure with elements similar to those in the aforementioned scenarios, it'd be more expensive, and you wouldn't get the thrill of two MORE adventures of totally different styles.

Finally, with no magazine carrying the imprimatur of "Official D&D" from WotC, there go all your Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Kara-Tur, Planescape, and other adventures, except for those that might be published by WotC itself.

Sad news.

Erekose13

Explorer
Well then...

Here's to DUNGEON and DRAGON magazine. The two greatest publications in the hobby. I've followed off and on for many many years only recently signing up for a subscription to grab all of Savage Tide. I raise my glass and say goodbye to such critical pieces of my enjoyment of the hobby.

Erik and Paizo, you have done a fantastic job running these magazines. The directions you've taken them in have been phenomenal. Congrats on the successes you've had with it. I'll be converting my remaining subscription to Pathfinder and give it a shot.

Remove ads