Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Two things:

1) I was just about to subscribe to Dungeon for the first time in years and years - having decided that it is indeed worth price. :(

2) What stops them printing their own monthly magazine called "Adventures & Excursions" based on OGL and Paizo developed material and just continuing as they have been?

Festivus

First Post
Ghendar said:
You can convert it to their new magazine, Pathfinder, if you choose.

The new series is $20 an issue for a single (albiet longer by 20 page) adventure versus three 20-30 page adventures spread across multiple levels for half the cost (with adverts of course). Not sure it's worth it.

So instead of 33 dungeons (and 11 dragons) I get 12 Pathfinders and my budget just effectively doubled for monthly reading (since I will also likely look at WoTC's online subscription stuff too now).

I converted my subscription but I want the option to back out if they totally suck. Wonder what WoTC stuff is going to look like.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
JoshuaFrost said:
We're still discussing joint, future releases with WotC. So, no, not necessarily.

As I said above, I love you guys. Some of the most fun we have at Origins every year is hanging out with y'all.

Good luck on the future ventures.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Since nobody has offered up the 4e conspiracy theory, I'll go ahead and do it...

WotC is ending these magazine contracts because they will be announcing the release of 4th Edition D&D at GenCon and they plan to control as much of that content as possible.

No, I don't believe it, but I just felt like throwing some gas on the fire. ;)

buzz

Adventurer
BlackMoria said:
I feel like someone that I know just died.

It is the same 'punched in the gut' feeling. I absolutely loved Dungeon and Dragon magazine under Paizo, Dungeon in particular.
Took the words out of my mouth. I've been buying Dragon on and off since I was 11. I've been a consistent subscriber to both it and Dungeon for six years now.

I went ahead and transitioned my credit with Paizo to Pathfinder. Whether WotC will merit my money for their offering is yet to be seen, but Paizo has done nothing but be awesome.

Remove ads