Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

BlackMoria

First Post
I feel like someone that I know just died.

It is the same 'punched in the gut' feeling. I absolutely loved Dungeon and Dragon magazine under Paizo, Dungeon in particular.

It was one of the few things in my life I really got to look forward to in my life, my month mags from Paizo, being in a small, isolated, no account town in northern Manitoba.

I guess I will get goon-faced drunk tonight and lament the passage of a era....

Last edited:

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Interesting.

Does this mean we won't see a Dragon Compendium 2? :)

Seriously, I don't like the decision. I won't call it stupid or anything, since I don't know the business reasons behind the move and it might be the smartest move for WotC.

I'll miss Dungeon and Dragon, but I won't boycott WotC. If they make stuff I want, I'll buy it.

And if Paizo keeps making stuff I want, I'll keep buying it.

/M

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I just called my wife to tell her about this.

We both remember buying Dragon magazine back in 1980...
And the excitement for both of us AND our parents when we got published in those pages in 2005...

It's one thing to find out that Paizo won't be publishing it anymore.

No offense to Paizo (because I love them dearly and they saved the magazines for so long), but the real blow is that the magazines are being canceled completely.

I lack the words to describe the feeling of loss caused by this announcement. (And this is coming from someone who hasn't even read the last three issues to arrive in the mail).

Umbran said:
If that happens, you may never get the content back at all. That helps nobody.

If you want the magazine format, you'd probably be better off to hope that it fails gracefully, so that they have time to recognize the failure, and resources to switch the format back.

But, for me, anyway, the point wasn't the content per se, but the success of a third-party (even if licensed) source of material. I've been lukewarm to a lot of stuff Wizards has done lately, and outright annoyed at some of the developer notes and so forth that might be indicative of direction. So i doubt even were I to avail myself of their on-line offering that I'd find anything worthwhile.

Running a successful magazine is hard, and the Paizo crew deserve a lot of credit for what they've accomplished especially in the past couple years. But what's even harder is finding a way to make money off of on-line content, something that damn few people have managed. I don't know why Wizards thinks they are any different. To me, this is just one more example of out of control greed.

And I'm more than willing to cut off my nose to spite my face :lol: But if Paizo manages to carry over some of their sucess with Dungeon and Dragon to Pathfinder, then there remains a viable fallback position for the next manager at Wizards who decides that the on-line venture is losing them too much money. What would be more worrisome is that if Pathfinde were to fail, I would think it virtually impossible for anyone else to manage to start up another print magazine of any size or reach.

So, time to put my money where my mouth is -- where do I subscribe to Pathfinder? EDIT: NM, done and done. It'll be a nice surprise in the mail one day!

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
Treebore said:
I just hope the "official only" gamers still support Paizo.

I tend to be "official only". Paizo is close enough that I'm going to judge Pathfinder by the same stick I'll use on the WotC offering.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
rhm001 said:
The page indicates that subscriptions will be honored on the Paizo site as credit with some options as to how to use it, although they don't go into details about what the ooptions will amount to.

Yes they do - 1:1 back issues for remaining issues, or 120% credit at the Paizo store, or moving the subscription over to the new magazine.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Yuck. I hate reading stuff on line. I have a crappy monitor at home. It is worse for my eyes. It will cost me money to buy, and then more money to print. I hate, hate, hate this.

Remove ads