Metal School

Starman

Adventurer
Damn if I know. I mean, old blackened death metal is supposed to have generally anti-Christian themes, generally speaking. But newer bands have been going in for more traditional metal themes, and the genre is being redefined (a bit) without consideration for lyrics.

Oh, I wasn't being serious. I love me some metal, but it does crack me up from time to time.

"This is more hardcore than regular heavy metal. We need to call it something else."

"What about death metal?"

"Death metal? I love it! Woo! Raise the horns!"

"What about this style? It's even more hardcore than death metal."

"Hmmm...deathier metal? Double death metal? Death to your mom metal? Super death metal?"

"How about blackened death metal?"

"Dude. That's perfect. Blackened death metal. Maybe we should add an umlaut...bläckened death metal..."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ater a long time away:

1) Kyuss is back!

The lineup is changed, and Josh Homme is not a part of it...but Oliveri is.

2) Joey Beladonna is back in Anthrax!

Yes, Belladonna is in fact back and he sounds AAAAHHHH - wait for it - MAZING!. The album is pretty much front to back attack.

In other news, Mike Portnoy, the founder and former drummer for Dream Theater and John Sykes, guitarist extraordinaire on the two best Whitesnake albums "Slide It In" and "87 (or Whitesnake in the US)" are currently working together in a new project. Will have more on this as information trickles out.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Speaking of projects:

Tony Iommi and Ian Gillen have a band called WhoCares, which will be doing a recording to raise money for a charitable relief in Armenia. Other participants in WhoCares: Jon Lord, Nico McBrain, Jason Newstead and Mikko "Linde" Lindström.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yes, Belladonna is in fact back and he sounds AAAAHHHH - wait for it - MAZING!. The album is pretty much front to back attack.

I've been listening to it in heavy rotation and think the album stands up to Joey's previous work with the band, stylistically and qualitatively.

But "In the End" is a standout. They say it's a tribute to Dimebag & Dio, but to me, it sounds like Anthrax doing a cover of Dio-era Sab. That chug, the lyrics- Joey even sounds like he's channeling RJD in the way he's attacking, sustaining & releasing the notes. (I could almost hear RJD singing along...)

Then there's Charlie's thumping bass drum. It took me a while to figure out what it was that was getting me about it: it's reminiscent of portions of (Ian Gillen-era) Sabbath's "Disturbing The Priest"- one of my all-time favorite Sab tunes.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
I've been listening to it in heavy rotation and think the album stands up to Joey's previous work with the band, stylistically and qualitatively.

But "In the End" is a standout. They say it's a tribute to Dimebag & Dio, but to me, it sounds like Anthrax doing a cover of Dio-era Sab. That chug, the lyrics- Joey even sounds like he's channeling RJD in the way he's attacking, sustaining & releasing the notes. (I could almost hear RJD singing along...)

Then there's Charlie's thumping bass drum. It took me a while to figure out what it was that was getting me about it: it's reminiscent of portions of (Ian Gillen-era) Sabbath's "Disturbing The Priest"- one of my all-time favorite Sab tunes.

Anthrax has finally released their album? I'm not sure if I gave up on them or not. Didn't like how they burned through singers, including hosing John Bush again.

I liked the John Bush era better than their older stuff. I guess Joey wore out on me.

Anthrax has finally released their album? I'm not sure if I gave up on them or not. Didn't like how they burned through singers, including hosing John Bush again.

I liked the John Bush era better than their older stuff. I guess Joey wore out on me.
That's always been the way with Anthrax - Bush or Belladonna.
Usually it's by when you find out about them, I grew up with Joey as the front man, so you can guess which way my vote goes. But I get your attitude, what is interesting about the whole thing was Scott Ian's take. He has always been very vocal about his support of John and his vocal style, but he said in a recent interview that he was amazed at the sounds and how right it felt to have Joey back. He went on to say, "Even I get it wrong occasionally."

Asmo said:
It´s Ian Gillan, not Gillen.
You sir, are correct.

Dannyalcatraz said:
And that sound you hear from the kick is the sound of playing wide open vice heavily dampened. Several drummers did it during the 60s: Bonham, Baker, Rich, Kruppa.... The difference though was the engineer recording them. The bass drum more than any other drum suffers or benefits from microphone placement in relation to the batter and resonant heads (assuming there is a later).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases