Metal School

If you also like metal's predecessor, hard rock- aka classic rock these days- you should check out Rival Sons.

Sounds like The Cult, Thunder, and The White Stripes had an unholy love affair and this is the bastard love child... Not bad, but I can't tell if the production of the music is bad or this is just another "tin ear" rip put up on YouTube by someone who doesn't understand you NEVER EVER EVER tape pre-recorded music with the EQ on....

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've seen the video elsewhere, and it sounded better.

The thing that surprised me is that supposedly the vocalist is completely new to the genre- it's his first rock band, and he didn't even listen to this style as a kid.

I've seen the video elsewhere, and it sounded better.

The thing that surprised me is that supposedly the vocalist is completely new to the genre- it's his first rock band, and he didn't even listen to this style as a kid.
Not so surprised here. I played with a band on the east coast, I was from a metal/hard rock background, the bassist was from a more standard rock background (he to college in the 70s, so there wasn't the emphasis on categorization there is now, most of what he did would be considered classic rock and oldies), the leas guitarist was from a progressive/jazz/fusion background, the keyboard player was classically trained and didn't even hear "modern" music until she was well into her teenage years, our lead singer.... he was a hip-hop dancer.

On the face of things, this group should have imploded. What we got was a solid progressive rock quintet that could play everything from 50s rock to 90s Techno, and did on a couple of occasions (for instance on one Christmas Party we played we started with the 50s (Elvis) and rolled all the way up to 1999 (Prince). Splitting the set into 50s/60s/70s break 80s/90s (and then ending with 1999...can you guess what year it was when we played that gig?)

So, no, it doesn't surprise me, but I am impressed and THAT is much much harder to do.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Watch it, you want want to crash and burn there Danny.

What, what, what? Surely you remember their hit song:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjmxUSsL-qk&feature=youtube_gdata_player]April Wine - If You See Kay (1982 video single) - YouTube[/ame]

(Inspired, BTW, by the writings of James Joyce.)

Last edited:

What, what, what? Surely you remember their hit song:
<SNIP>
Oh course I do, but evidently you forgot about this one:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywR6ahivw9s"]Crash & Burn[/ame]
That, by the way, was my nickname before Thunderfoot.
I showed up for the driving portion of Driver's Ed sick as a dog and told the two girls with me, "Unless you want to Crash & Burn, I hope you have your white slips, cause I'm in no condition to drive." Of course, one of them didn't and I came very close to killing the three of us and the instructor... Good thing they have that remote brake. After that, the one that had her slip started calling me 'Crash & Burn' and the rest is as they say, history.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ha!

Actually, I didn't forget that one- I'd never heard it before! April Wine was slays a peripheral band for me, so I only know a couple of their tunes. And that wasn't one of them. Good one, though!

I suggest you go back and re-visit some of their stuff. "Sign of the Gypsy Queen" was probably the biggest hit when I was growing up, but all of their stuff was really good. They are always fluctuating between 1 and 2 on my most underrated/ignored bands list, sharing that honor with Zebra.

Remove ads