• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doctor Who, Episode 6: "The Lazarus Experiment"

delericho

Legend
The Doctor takes Martha home, to the night after episode 1. Just as he's leaving they see a report of a man who intends to "change what it means to be human". And, apparently, that means becoming young again. Naturally, not everything goes according to plan...

Good episode. Of note, we got our first look at Mr Saxon, and he definately knows the Doctor, by reputation if nothing else.

It strikes me that this season is about death. In the first episode
the Doctor 'died' by exsanguination
. In the second,
he 'died' by having a heart stop
. In the third,
the Face of Boe died
. In the fourth/fifth,
the Doctor dies by being struck by lightning
. And this week
the crux of the episode deals with a man's attempt to cheat death

Plus, of course, one of the Master's key defining qualities is he can no longer regenerate, and so is afraid of death. And now, Mr Saxon invests a great deal of money in a Regeneration Chamber. Hmm...

Next week, no Doctor Who due to the Eurovision Song Contest :(. Amazing, but true.

The week after that, Captain Jack is back... but the rest of the episode looked very very odd indeed. I can't wait!

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Insightful observation about death :)

Cool episode - apart from the story, I really liked the nods to this season's Saxon metaplot. And the teasers at the end were great. Stinky bloody Eurovision!

JRR_Talking

First Post
excellent all round

"nothing more dangerous that someone choking on an olive"

and the classic "it doesnt normally take this long to reverse the polarity, i cant have done it for a while.".....excellent throwback. Jon Pertwee was always reversing the polarity of stuff

Like the suave 'mister saxon'.

and the teaser looked unbelievable.

John

Ian O'Rourke

First Post
I'm not sure we met Mr Saxon? Unless I missed something...I assumed the sauve bloke talking to Martha's mam was working for Saxon, but wasn't him.

I only say this as I thought John Sim was Mr Saxon, and that ain't him.

And I really liked this issue, it continues the them of 'survival' and what one is willing to do to obtain it, and those that didn't survive. Survival of the species, etc. It's been touched upon in a number of episodes now.

Volaran

First Post
delericho said:
The week after that, Captain Jack is back... but the rest of the episode looked very very odd indeed. I can't wait!

The trailer was for the rest of the season. I don't believe Jack is actually back until near the end of the run.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Ian O'Rourke said:
I'm not sure we met Mr Saxon? Unless I missed something...I assumed the sauve bloke talking to Martha's mam was working for Saxon, but wasn't him.

I only say this as I thought John Sim was Mr Saxon, and that ain't him.

Mr Saxon is seen in the trailer that followed a few times (e.g. with the oxygen mask on tapping on the table top for one, a fading smiling face for another)

The trailer was for the second half of the series, because the next episode is #7, we see scarecrows from #8/9, and Jack who returns in #11...

I liked this episode BTW.

horacethegrey

First Post
Fine episode. And love all the hints as delericho pointed out as to the real identity of this Mister Saxon bloke.

And damn, that extended preview at the end had me salivating. Just what the hell is gonna happen in the last 6 episodes?! :D

But dammit, two weeks?! Argh. Stupid Eurovison Song Contest. :mad:

Ian O'Rourke

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Mr Saxon is seen in the trailer that followed a few times.

Yes, he was in the trailer, I agree. It seemed people were suggesting he was in the actual episode.

I thought this was the best episode yet (of season three), which I wasn't expecting.

Remove ads