Leadership Revisions

Rystil Arden

First Post
Manzanita said:
Oh, it most certainly does. Let's say you're creating a lovable loser of a dwarven rogue. I played such a PC for a spell, and enjoyed it greatly. Try doing that on a 40 point buy. Doesn't work. He's just not a loser. Similarly, try creating a heroic paladin on a 25 point buy. Very tough. You'd be much better off with at least 35.

The point buy amount very directly influences the type of PC I create. And I'd like to think cohorts are more the lovable loser types, or deeply flawed, or whatever.
Well, obviously you can suggest an arbitrarily high PB that would basically require high stats, though I think I can make a lovable loser with ~40, you could then suggest 50. But the actual numbers in question are 30 and 25, and you can make not just a 'lovable loser' of a Rogue but even an abject unplayable failure with 30 PB pretty easily if you want to be bad:

Str 9
Dex 9
Con 20
Int 9
Wis 16
Cha 7

(To move to 40 and still be a loser, I suggest 15 in Int and 9 in Cha. Focus on sneaking, sleight of hand, lockpicking, and Cha-based skills.)

You can also roleplay a lovable loser pretty easily even with all-around high stats. You just have the character focus on an area where they're bad in roleplaying, to comic results (for instance, the lovable loser in love could be a chauvanistic Barbarian with all 18s, but no ranks in social skills and no manners who always turns off all the girls with crude and off-colour comments). On the other hand, you can't roleplay a character as successful if they're actually a bumbling failure due to stats, since the constant failures will bely this portrayal.

Although you can certainly build them that way statwise with a higher point buy (and you can play a loser even with high stats), I suppose that if your net goal is to force the cohort to be a 'lovable loser', 'bumbling crony', 'constantly-dying side-gag', etc, then it's true that a lower Point Buy will successfully achieve this by disallowing other character types to be built, such as the noble paladin, as you point out.

Compounding the problem is the fact that the cohort will be two levels behind, or more if the player doesn't submit to the exerted forces and tries to make a cohort that isn't a cleric, a druid, or an archer and gets the cohort consistently killed.

I don't see why we should force the cohort to be the bumbling perennially-dying comic relief if that isn't what the player wants it to be.

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
No one is suggesting cohorts are losers. Beyond this, I've said my peace on the point buy subject.

Is there interest among players to play a cohort? I would support such a proposal. I don't know that we need to define it much beyond that. I'm not particular about who creates the cohort, the player, the cohort's player, or a DM. A collaborative effort would probably be best.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Manz, I need to preface this by saying that I do this double quote thing with all due respect and out of honest curiosity and confusion by your last post--I just don't understand, and I would like to understand. I know I need that preface because it may look like I'm doing this to be snarky--that's not why.

With that said, I need to quote you on the following two points back to back:

Manzanita said:
I'd like to think cohorts are more the lovable loser types
Manzanita said:
No one is suggesting cohorts are losers.

Bront

The man with the probe
Manzanita said:
No one is suggesting cohorts are losers. Beyond this, I've said my peace on the point buy subject.

Is there interest among players to play a cohort? I would support such a proposal. I don't know that we need to define it much beyond that. I'm not particular about who creates the cohort, the player, the cohort's player, or a DM. A collaborative effort would probably be best.
My interest involves a cohort who has been a 30 point NPC in a previous adventure. As a 25 point cohort, she needs to be dumbed down, and strained to the point that I find it uninteresting as a player, and the IC explanation (there is one) leaves my PC cold to the idea as well. If I'd need a player to play her, I know who I'd ask, simply because he was the GM that made her.

That said, I can understand people fearing leadership. It's an odd unknown. Heck, I have a character who's pondering taking it for a mount, but I don't know how that would work either.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
I don't even know if a proposal is needed to let other PCs play a cohort. It's pretty basic. Maybe just a note next to leadership: "With the Leader's player's consent, a cohort may be played by any other player."

Bront

The man with the probe
Ok, some of this didn't get added to the rules. I'm going to fix that.

The XP change was approved.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rae ArdGaoth said:
*A cohort receives XP like a normal character for their level. This XP is in addition to the XP awarded to the party; it is not subtracted from the party total. This method, created by Rystil Arden, will be instated to discourage the "cycling" of cohorts.
OK, this got approved.

Questions to flesh this out.

1) How is this XP calculated? If they are a part of the same party of it's size (IE, PCs)? If they are an extra person? If they were the only person?
2) Is there a cap on XP they can earn since they can't surpass L-2 of the PC? Or simply of level they can achive at any one point in time?
3) This includes LEW Time XP, right?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
OK, this got approved.

Questions to flesh this out.

1) How is this XP calculated? If they are a part of the same party of it's size (IE, PCs)? If they are an extra person? If they were the only person?
2) Is there a cap on XP they can earn since they can't surpass L-2 of the PC? Or simply of level they can achive at any one point in time?
3) This includes LEW Time XP, right?
The cap is that they can't level up if they would ever surpass L - 2 (you can let them level up, but if so, they stop being your cohort and leave the adventure). The XP is calculated just as normal, only you don't divide out a share for the cohort. So if there's 4 PCs and one cohort, each PC receives 1/4 of the appropriate XP for their level, and the cohort also gets 1/4. (Note that they do not receive 1/5 because the cohort does not take a share out of the total XP, instead it generates its own XP proportional to everyone else's--the cohort will get the same XP as the PCs of that level in the party get).

As mentioned elsewhere, now is the right time to take Leadership if you ever want to take it--I have an Elektra fix, but it only works if you take Leadership while leveling up before exiting the Crux timestream.

Remove ads