Valessa, Goddess of Love, Beauty,and the Fey

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
Minor addition that I thought added some extra flavor :) (The note about Mongrel)
I'd think her romantic interest would wander, as her chaotic and fickle nature. Could be Mongrel now, but who knows when it might turn somewhere else? ;)

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
I'd think her romantic interest would wander, as her chaotic and fickle nature. Could be Mongrel now, but who knows when it might turn somewhere else? ;)
That's just her current flame. Still, he's more fickle than her, which was why I found it amusing.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Why did you upgrade her from Intermediate to Greater? She's the daughter of the son of Halina. She's splitting domains with her mother and father. As in, she's got the good side of love (while Amphousa has the bad side) and she's got the fey-focus (while Verdante has all of nature). I think she should be Lesser, maybe Intermediate.

Other than that, and a few spelling errors (you refer to her as Valera in one of the paragraphs), I really like this goddess.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
Why did you upgrade her from Intermediate to Greater? She's the daughter of the son of Halina. She's splitting domains with her mother and father. As in, she's got the good side of love (while Amphousa has the bad side) and she's got the fey-focus (while Verdante has all of nature). I think she should be Lesser, maybe Intermediate.

Other than that, and a few spelling errors (you refer to her as Valera in one of the paragraphs), I really like this goddess.
Probably because in a real organic pantheon, the love/beauty goddess is always a big deal, possibly moreso than the parents of said deity. This is in part because of the importance of love and beauty to ordinary people. I'll give an example--

In Norse Mythology: Freya, goddess of love and beauty. You've probably heard of her--she's a major deity. Her father, Njord--less so, but I still know a lot about him (he's probably intermediate). Her mother Nerthus? She's completely trivial. Many stories never even mention her and just say Freya is the daughter of Njord.

EDIT: And if I can't appeal to your sense of mythology--here's a game mechanical reason: We've got only one CG deity, Grendath, who is Lesser. That means no major CG deities at all yet. In fact, this goddess used to have Halina as a mother before fey was added, but since Verdante was such a good fit and Halina is his mom, it made sense and was interesting to change it to Amy.

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
This is in part because of the importance of love and beauty to ordinary people.
Ah yes, deities get their power from their worshipers. I suppose then that she should at least be Intermediate.

I'm not convinced that she should be Greater, I thought we were keeping the Greater deities few and far between. Halina covers mothers and wives and families, the sort of long lasting, enduring familial love, right? I think Valessa is kinda the crazy, passionate daughter, the puppy love, infatuation, and all that. Strong at first, but fleeting.

I think she should be Intermediate.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
Ah yes, deities get their power from their worshipers. I suppose then that she should at least be Intermediate.

I'm not convinced that she should be Greater, I thought we were keeping the Greater deities few and far between. Halina covers mothers and wives and families, the sort of long lasting, enduring familial love, right? I think Valessa is kinda the crazy, passionate daughter, the puppy love, infatuation, and all that. Strong at first, but fleeting.

I think she should be Intermediate.
Halina doesn't even do marriage that much, she's much mother motherhood. Even if Halina did have motherhood, you would still run into the usual Frigga/Freya Hera/Aphrodite dichotomy. Traditionally in these cases, the love goddess is still a Greater deity (in fact, Freya and Aphrodite are both more popular in myth than Frigga and Hera).

Oh, and did you catch my edit? It would be good to have a Chaotic Good Greater deity, and this is one of two roles that real organically grown pantheons universally place as a Greater deity (I strongly fault Greyhawk, my least favourite pantheon in existence, real-world or fictional, for that).

Rystil Arden

First Post
Looking back at the deity listing, even with Valessa, there still wouldn't be too many Greaters as opposed to the massive number of Lessers, but it gave me an idea--when I looked at the Greater Power listing, all except one seemed utterly fitting as Greater Powers. The one that seemed sketchy to me was Azwan (for some reason I thought he was Intermediate or lower)--good high-minded sorts of war aren't that much more common, I think, as opposed to the bloody and violent sorts. Plus, in that sense he's fundamentally different than all the other deities in the Greater list in that he doesn't represent powerful primal forces. I think he should be lowered so that he can be a bit closer to a fair rival of the evil carnage war god, rather than being so obviously and massively superior. That would also lower the number of Greaters a bit, which would keep with your idea of having fewer.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Ah, no, I didn't catch the edit. That's a good reason, too. The line between Greater and Intermediate is blurring. I'm just stubbornly trying to keep the Greater deities stagnant, as we decided to do elsewhere. I'll think about it some, but I'll probably vote yes. :D

Rystil Arden

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
Ah, no, I didn't catch the edit. That's a good reason, too. The line between Greater and Intermediate is blurring. I'm just stubbornly trying to keep the Greater deities stagnant, as we decided to do elsewhere. I'll think about it some, but I'll probably vote yes. :D
Ah, then you will be happy to see that other post I slipped in right before yours, suggesting how to keep the size of the Greater pool stagnant if we must ;)

Remove ads