Shattered Sea Chronicles, Book II: Of Rocks and Red Eagles

The morning after the great feast dawns bright, as if the powers were promising a beautiful spring and summer. The streets of the city are fairly quiet, though drunken revelers litter the streets here and there, sleeping off last night's merriment. In the town square, a mixed crew of convicts from the city dungeons are cleaning up, under the watchful eyes of the city guard.

All around the city, and in the festival grounds, hundreds of young people now wear small silver medallions, indicating that they came of age, and are ready to move forward with life. Most of the group wears them, as well, having been awarded them in a midnight ceremony, after the feast. Over a hundred young couples are now married, another tradition of the festival. Some of those who came for the festival are already preparing to leave, while others will linger a few days more.

At the Granite Badger, the day is beginning like most others, with the sounds of people stirring, and the smell of breakfast being made in Mother Quick's kitchen. The two brothers Finnveden make ready to go, as does the captain of Johanna's former ship. Her old blade is wrapped in a fur cloak, and tied to the saddle of a pack horse, one of a dozen laden with rods of steel. The three men are heading south, to Crown's Reach, where they will do some business, and meet the ship, which has been making its way down the western coast of Avonleigh the island, since a day or so after they, and Johanna, had begun their overland journey weeks ago.

Olephas, too, is making ready to go. He has been long from his grove, and it is time he was getting back. He is much less laden down then the Jotuns, since he didn't come to the city to buy dwarf-forged steel.

As the adventurers start to make their normal appearances, they find Haversham waiting, a small leather bag lying before him. Seated with him is a familiar dwarf, the sergeant from the sewers, who is enthusiastically devouring some of Mother's bacon and bread. Haversham waits till everyone is present, and has had a chance to settle in.

Then he speaks: "I hope you all passed an enjoyable evening, basking in your well-earned success. That said, a matter has come up, and the Thane has asked that you use your skills to resolve it. As I'm sure you know, the town of Bright Rock lies a few days ride up the pass, into the mountains. It sits at the southern end of the Vale of Mallon, on the shores of the Lake of Silver. Every two months, the miners there send a wagonload of refined silver, under guard, to the silversmiths here in the city." He pauses a moment, and takes a drink, then continues. "The shipment was due two days ago. Yesterday, instead of the wagon, a wounded messenger arrived, with news that the town was being raided, in fact almost besieged, by a strong band of orcs and ogres. The attacks have made mining difficult, and apparently a number of the miners, and other townsfolk, have been killed or injured."

He gestures to the sergeant, who grins, then goes back to eating. "The sergeant here is going to take a troop of the Thane's soldiers to reinforce the town militia, and secure the town itself. Which brings us to you. According to the messenger, the attackers are led by an orc of demonic heritage, who seems to have considerable magical power at it's command. The Thane would like you to find and destroy this orc, and find out where it came from."

Fenris

Adventurer
"I would be honored to serve the Thane" replies Broderick with a slight bow over his breakfast plate.

"This orc sounds like the bloke that attacked the Tower of Gard so long ago. Obviously these evil forces that create such beings are still active. Still, an axe is an axe and an orc neck is an orc neck, demonic or no."

Hurog

First Post
Nottus' eyes light up at Haversham's words. "That sounds like a real adventure! You couldn't keep me away for all the riches in Silver Hills."

"That orc's worrysome though. If it's the same one as all the way back then, what kind of power must it have? Or could it be a descendant, or copycat?"

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Orcs and Demonic creatures!! Oh my Professors will be green with envy! Like the others Pauli nods his head in agreement which is complimented by a smile that can barely hold his excitement. I wonder if they have come back to re-kindle old flames.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Johanna nodded in agreement as well, as she finished chewing one last bisquit. A bunch of orcs and orges, even led by a "demonic" orc, sounded like a much more palatable type of sortie than more battles against dark priests and rotting-but-still-walking corpses. "When do we leave?" she asked, when she had finished eating. "And are we going to need horses?" That thought didn't exactly thrill her- she was far more used to the rolling deck of a ship than to the bouncing of a saddle.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Redbeard

As they sit down to breakfast, Redbeard gives a toothy grin at the dwarven sergeant. "I slaughtered that there pig me self," he says. "The balance truly provided us with excellent meat from that hog." Redbeard sits almost quietly, most can hear the sound of his noisy chewing, while Haversham talks. Once Haversham finishes Redbeard adds his own opinion. "Ogres and orcs? At least they not be carrion. I be havin' enough of those. Besieged? How many of the creatures be threatnin' to be takin' over the town? A magic using orc? I be never hearin' of such a thing! We be seein' what kind o' magics 'e be havin' at 'is disposal. Don't be worryin' Johanna, I can deal with horses if we be needin to."

The dwarf sergeant stops chewing long enough to answer some of the questions. "The man they sent down said the biggest attack they've faced was some fifty of the pigfaces, and a dozen or so of the brutes. This demon-orc he was caterwauling about has some sort of huge pig he rides about on, like an oliphaunt or what have you that tales say live in the Eastern lands. Has big bat wings and such-like, as well. Now, as for horses, me and my lads will be travelling like any good dwarf, on our own two feet. If ye want horses, that's your business. Just farther to fall when some orc cuts your guts out with one of them barbed axes they favor so. Oh, and we'll march out as soon as you sorry lot are ready to go." Then the grizzled dwarf goes back to his platter.

Haversham glances over at him, and then back at the adventurers. "I'll convey your agreement to the Thane. And I'll leave you to your planning, and the remains of your breakfast."

Fenris

Adventurer
In response Broderick stands and starts towards his room to gather his things, then stops, head back tot he table and take the platter of sausage in front of Redbeard, tosses a few biscuits on it and takes it with him to his room, taunting Redbeard as he goes "Gotta be faster 'n that laddie"

G

Guest 11456

Jillian Wolfrunner : Female Elf Rogue 3

Prior to heading down stairs Jillian had sliced a hunk of the soap she had bought the previous day and warpped the soad in the piece of parchment, another purchase. Then she headed downstairs. As the next assignment was issued she merely nodded her agreement. She was mainly waiting for a chance to place the package in front of Redbeard. Then as Broderick distracts Redbeard for an instant, the elf seizes her chance and places the wrapped soap before the druid.

OOC: Sleight of Hand +9.

Remove ads