Shattered Sea Chronicles, Book II: Of Rocks and Red Eagles

pathfinderq1

First Post
Johanna stood up quickly after she had her replies from the dwarves. "I'll be ready to travel in no more than an hour. I can't speak for the rest." Despite the dangers they had been told of, she seemed to be wearing an eager grin.

Imerak

First Post
"Demonic heritage? My middle name, good thane." Larren chuckles. "I don't have much to pack, and we'd better be off soon, before anyone else gets hurt." Briefly, he wonders when he wonders when he became an adventurer, or hero, or whatever one wanted to call it. Larren shrugs and decides that he may as well go with the direction life takes him, and that it's useless questioning it.

Last edited:

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Pauli 'The Psion'

"Horse?" Questions the mind mage with a disapproving look. "Horses and I have a rather, um, how do you say, 'ardous' relationship. Though I understand the importance of time considering the current state of affiars. But surely there is alternate mode of travel that will gets to destiantion with the same time restraints." Says Pauli as he begins to fidgit unconfortably within his seat. "On the bright side, I have everything that I would need and I am ready to start on our newest assignment."

Last edited:

EvolutionKB

First Post
Redbeard

After Broderick takes the remainder of the sausage, Redbeard frowns. "I be needin' to prepare me spells. I usually be doin' it once me belly be full." He stands up and dumps a bowl full of apples into a bag. As his companions give him a glare, he shrugs and says, "It be for the horses of course. ;) "

Spells prepared, listed on character sheet. BD let me know when we are getting close to our destination, I'll be preparing different spells then.

Nathaniel Frost

First Post
"Well, this is exciting news. Mum'll be thrilled to hear we're going to face off rampaging orcs! I can get food provisions from the shop, don't worry about the cost. As for horses, i'll ride one if i must..." the thought seems less than appealing to him. He finishes off breakfast and makes his leave to secure the provisions and gather personal effects.

May 8-9, 1106CR
North of Stonegate

Just before leaving, Redbeard is somewhat surprised to find a half pound of soap has mysteriously appeared before him. No one saw who laid it there, but it doesn't keep him from nabbing a bowlful of apples for the journey.

Sergeant Kanek, irascible as he is, proves as good as his word. When the adventurers finish their preparations, they find the dwarf waiting, with twenty of the Thane's soldiers, and several pack mules carrying supplies. A half dozen war-dogs follow their masters. The group marches out moments later. The pace is relatively slow, but never varies much, the dwarves not willing to stop till long after night has fallen.

Heading northward into the towering peaks of the Greystones, the first day's travel takes them up into the foothills, where they make camp on a hilltop, the dwarves setting out sentry posts. Nothing bothers the large camp, though roars and other sounds echo through the night.

The next day they travel on, starting a bit before dawn, and again maintaining that steady, even, untiring pace the dwarves seem most comfortable at. One of the dwarven soldiers is Granak, Broderick's sparring partner at his coming of age party. He grins, seeing Broderick's three day old warrior's braid. "Not such a youngling now, eh?"

Towards noon, as they are toiling up the steep slope of the pass itself, a dozen men on horseback make an appearance about a hundred yards ahead. They are dressed in a miscellany of armor, mostly leather and chain. Each man holds a lance, and a bow is cased on his saddle. A variety of swords, axes, and maces complete their armament. They trot down the slope towards the group, spreading out to block the way onward.

Their leader, a scar-faced man, grins, and looks over the dwarves, and the adventurers. "Here now...the clans of Stone do use our pass by ancient rights of blood, and allegiance. But the rest of you...now for you, what right have you to be here?"

Nathaniel Frost

First Post
Nathaniel will step forward, and speak with all the grace and charm learned through many years of negotiating with difficult customers. "We travel by order of the Thane of Stone Gate to put an end to the threat by ogres and orcs in this region, while our dwarven companions fortify the town of Bright Rock" He is careful to guage the reaction of the band before them at his words.

OOC: Diplomacy +13, Sense Motive +9

Imerak

First Post
Larren gets a twinkle in his eye. "What right have we to be here? Why, we have as much right as you, as much right as anyone has to go where they want on this earth. Indeed, I would ask what right you have to keep anyone from passing through here. Surely you wouldn't be harmed by a wayward traveller using this pass?"

Larren realizes a moment later that this might not be the time. "On a less philosophical note, we're travelling with the dwarves, aiding them in their noble quest. Happy now?"

EvolutionKB

First Post
Redbeard

Redbeard is ready to leave his place at the table when he looks down to see a hunk of soap in front of him. He crinkles his brow in thought and looks around those nearest him. He shrugs his shoulders and sticks it into his belt pouch. "Arrr...you be seein' that Ralph?..." He reaches down to pet the large slobbery dog laying next to his chair. The dog promptly lifts his head to furiously sniff Redbeard's hand looking for a scrap of bacon or sausage. Redbeard obliges the large dog and the beast's tail begins to wag. "...Somebody be thinkin' ye smell already."

Redbeard marched hard along with the dwarves. Sweat covered his brow, and soaked his clothes. Several of the dwarves near him spoke in Dwarven of the fat man who likely smelled worse than the ogres they would likely see soon. Redbeard, shouldering his mostly full sack of apples, tosses one to the Jotun warrior in front of him. "Johanna, since we not be havin horses you must be helpin me eat these." Redbeard promptly spits out an apple seed onto the side of the road. "And be spreading the bounty of Nature's Balance as well."

That night Redbeard cooked for his companions. He made pork chops using some of the meat from the pig he slaughtered back in town the other day. He seasoned them with some thyme as well as a saucy mixture of apples and raisins which themselves were enhanced with the flavor of cloves and cinnamon.[sblock=ooc]Finally a chance to use my Profession (Cook) skill! +5 by the way.[/sblock]

The next morning Redbeard awoke to a slobbery mouth waking him. Ralph stood over the fat man as the dwarves around them got ready. Redbeard sat up at scratched behind the dogs ear before quietly saying, "You be kissin' like Larren or so I be hearin'."

As the riders approach, Redbeard pets the top of Ralph's head. The rider's were impressive with their heavy armor and horses and all those weapons. He let the talking fall to those that knew how, at least for now.

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Pauli 'The Psion'

The sudden arrival of the horsemen has placed the mind mage in a suddenly cheerful mood. With an eager smile he leans down towards one of the dwarven guards and in a mumbled tone says, "I've never met mercenaries on horseback before. This is so 'electrifying'.” Pauli knows that he is by far not the most tactful person decides to stay towards the rear of the groups formation. All though he does take interest in any of the mercenaries that would be carrying long ranged weaponry.

OOC: Prepares to manifest Energy Missile: Electricity on all mercenary archers first, mercenary lancers second then mercenary melees. (-3PP, 3d6+3 on five targets, DC 17 vs Reflex Half)

Remove ads