Free RPG Day - good idea, or bad?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Okay, okay, you're probably thinking "Why would it be a bad idea to give away something for free?"

But the more I think about it, I think it might be. People like free stuff. However, at the same time, when they can't get free stuff that other people are getting, they get upset. (Heck, people get upset when they can't enter contests, because they live in a different country, and it's not like they would have won anyway in all likelyhood)

In this case, a lot of people don't have FLGSes. Or ones that aren't participating in this. (Disclaimer: My FLGS actually is, though they aren't exactly local, but 45 minutes away, but anything is 30 minutes away from where I live). So basically, they are left out. In most cases, no one would really care, since most free stuff isn't that great. But in this case, some of the free RPGs are actually pretty good. At least the Goodman Games stuff and maybe the Paizo stuff (I'm not actually sure who else is involved)

Indeed, I actually expect quite a few, if not the bulk, of the free DCCs to end up on eBay.

I really don't care either way, but I can see a lot of loyal Goodman fans, like the one who subscribe to DCCs, being a little miffed over missing one (since that's the point of them subscribing).

At the same time, what do they gain? In Goodman's case, they already have 2 different DCC's priced at $2 in order to get people to try them. If someone is too cheap to pay $2 for a module, is a free module going to sway them to buy $12 ones?

I can see companies giving away little booklets about their game system. Like quick start rules. But at the same time, I would think they would always want to give those away (if they could afford it), rather than one day of the year.

But just adventure modules, which you need basically the D&D books to play, don't seem to be worth the return. Or risk. Especially in Goodman's case, it's a prequel/tie-in to the big boxed set from Goodman, Whiterock. I can definitely see people who buy Whiterock being upset that there is a Whiterock adventure they don't have. (Though maybe it comes with a copy. That would make a lot more sense).

(Just using Goodman since they are the most obvious example to me, but I think it would apply to any other company with devoted fanbase)

MrFilthyIke

First Post
I'm upset at the Free Game Day, purely based on the fact that not one store in Orlando joined in on this, even though I informed them about it by e-mail. :\

Glyfair

Explorer
MrFilthyIke said:
I'm upset at the Free Game Day, purely based on the fact that not one store in Orlando joined in on this, even though I informed them about it by e-mail. :\

Perhaps you should be annoyed at the Orlando stores rather than Free RPG Day. It's not like the cost was particularly high ($30 per store).

Both of the gaming stores in my area are participating, but I let them know about it almost as soon as it was announced (it helps that I am friends with owners of both). In fact, one of them was contacted by the organizers personally to participate.

I think it's a great idea. Whether it is successful or not is another story. This is clearly the foot in the water. Next year will probably be a better test (I know Steve Jackson Games has indicated they are interested in next year, but didn't have enough time to create somethign this year).

Honestly, if you are comfortable with game companies excluding a large part of their market by creating gaming convention exclusives (a long time practice), I can't see how this is a problem. Should I feel left out because a west coast store chain has an exclusive deal I want to participate in?

The idea is to drive traffic into the gaming stores (and draw attention to the game companies products). I think this will do that.

trancejeremy said:
At the same time, what do they gain? In Goodman's case, they already have 2 different DCC's priced at $2 in order to get people to try them. If someone is too cheap to pay $2 for a module, is a free module going to sway them to buy $12 ones?
Painting someone as cheap is unfair. Free is different from cheap. I might pick up a free product and toss it if I don't like it. I'd be very loath to throw something away if I spent any money on it. Why buy something you doubt you will like? I'm sure there are dozens of drinks you could try for less than $1. Have you tried them all? Would you try some of those if offered a free trial?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Why is Free RPG Day a bad idea because some retailers aren't participating? That's a bizarre argument.

Well, maybe you should actually read my first post before threadcrapping? (Hey, since every one else accuses others of it, I might as well, too :lol: )

To quickly recap, my point was, because loyal fans of a given company probably won't be able to get the free module, and feel left out, and thus likely to be less loyal. Or at least hurt.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Glyfair said:
Painting someone as cheap is unfair. Free is different from cheap. I might pick up a free product and toss it if I don't like it. I'd be very loath to throw something away if I spent any money on it. Why buy something you doubt you will like? I'm sure there are dozens of drinks you could try for less than $1. Have you tried them all? Would you try some of those if offered a free trial?

If I were in the market for a drink, then yes, I probably would try every drink possible for $1. Indeed, I've probably tried every pizza place within 35 miles, and those cost $12 or so, including tax.

But my point really was, if someone who is in the market for a d20 module, and is too cheap to spend $2 to try one out, would a free once really convince them to buy $12 ones? IMHO, they would be too cheap to buy those, either.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Glyfair said:
Honestly, if you are comfortable with game companies excluding a large part of their market by creating gaming convention exclusives (a long time practice), I can't see how this is a problem.

Well, that actually bothers me as well. Part of the trouble with the hobby (as ENWorld illustrates) is that it's far, far too clique-ish. Stuff like that, and Con exclusives simply makes it worse.

I would rather have a hobby where everyone is treated the same, whether or not they have a nice local game store, or if they can afford to attend a Con or not (or live near a major one).

Glyfair

Explorer
trancejeremy said:
I would rather have a hobby where everyone is treated the same, whether or not they have a nice local game store, or if they can afford to attend a Con or not (or live near a major one).

That would be nice, but not realistic. We can start with the simple fact that income directly affects what you can get. It is fair that I can't afford to get Ptolus because I can't afford it? Is it fair that my FLGS didn't have it on sale like one a friend of mine visited at a price that I could afford?

Still, IMO, not having a FLGS around in many cases is a fault of the local gaming community these days. In a number of areas they had one but choose not to support it.

What I find interesting looking at the list of sites is the number of locations in each state. Here in Delaware (population about 850,000) we have 2 sites, Alaska has 3 sites (population about 650,000), yet Maryland (population about 5,500,000) only has 3 sites and Connecticut (population about 3,500,000) has only 1 site.

True, this information might have other issues. Still, I wonder if there was a way to find out which states have the best coverage of game stores base on population.

But my point really was, if someone who is in the market for a d20 module, and is too cheap to spend $2 to try one out, would a free once really convince them to buy $12 ones? IMHO, they would be too cheap to buy those, either.

One possibility is that the choice between those who wanted d20 adventures was between buying Dungeon magazine for $7.00 (or less) for 3 adventures or a unknown d20 company for $2. If I don't need more than 3 adventures, why bother?

Now that Dungeon is disappearing there is an opening for print d20 adventures (especially companies giving regular support to the category). Right now is probably the best time to get your adventures out there in the hands of ex-subscribers. It's a shame that Green Ronin didn't make it in time with their "Bleeding Edge" adventure.

Last edited:

Jason Bulmahn

Adventurer
I am really liking the idea of Free RPG Day and hope that the event really expands next year (as I have heard it will). That said, we identified some of the same problems mentioned in this thread. As such, any left over copies of our GameMastery Module are going to be available through our webstore at a nominal cost, and the adventure will be available as a free download following the event. We really wanted to make sure that everyone could take a look at our new line of modules, and this event seemed like a great way to start.

For those without a nearby supporting shop, please check out our module following the event. I will post up a link to it as soon as it becomes available.

Jason Bulmahn
GameMastery Brand Manager

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
trancejeremy said:
To quickly recap, my point was, because loyal fans of a given company probably won't be able to get the free module, and feel left out, and thus likely to be less loyal. Or at least hurt.
From what I've seen, all of the companies participating are either selling the freebies after Free RPG Day, are giving a PDF away for free, or both.

I would assume the loyal fans would swing by the company sites and know this.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases